Chicken Frames

mantis

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Labradork

With frames always remember to remove the wishbone. There was a Bullmastiff puppy on here a while back who died from the wishbone piercing his intestines.

Geez dancinbcs, lucky I always chop mine up

I never knew that. Thanks for the "heads up".

Thanks, dancinbcs. I didn't know that either :)

I have never bought frames because the bones look so small and sharp, and they don't look really meaty to me. I get chicken wings and lamb leg bones from the butcher. All of their chicken is free range and/or organic.

With frames always remember to remove the wishbone. There was a Bullmastiff puppy on here a while back who died from the wishbone piercing his intestines.

Geez dancinbcs, lucky I always chop mine up

I never knew that. Thanks for the "heads up".

I didn't know that, I'll ask the OH to have a look tonight.

My pugs get half a frame each, every night. Usually with a few beef chunks too, they are 12kg and 7kg. Although the older one would happily eat a full one each night!

I buy frames by the 10kg box for $10 from a chicken processor, can't remember how many in a box though. I either feed them as they are or stuff them with beef or home made barf. They get the lot, have never removed anything from them except for the excess fat for the boy who needs less fat in his diet.

Is there a Tasman meats near you mantis?

I live in Kilsyth, just off MT Dandenong Road, don't know where Tasman meats are.

Just googled them, none are anywhere near me. But at least I have my local butcher. :thumbsup:

Edited by mantis

I hadn't seen the warning on the wishbone either, that's a good tip. Yesterday I read a vet note that chicken necks are not safe - dogs gulp them and choke too easily. Back to frames I guess.

What happened to that good 'pinned' thread on where to get this or that feed in bulk, it listed the chicken processors that sell the boxes of frames. Gone, or hidden somewhere still?

Edit to add: Found it!! Look in the Health/Nutrition/Grooming Section - it is still pinned at the top, still active.

Edited by PossumCorner

I hadn't seen the warning on the wishbone either, that's a good tip. Yesterday I read a vet note that chicken necks are not safe - dogs gulp them and choke too easily. Back to frames I guess.

What happened to that good 'pinned' thread on where to get this or that feed in bulk, it listed the chicken processors that sell the boxes of frames. Gone, or hidden somewhere still?

Edit to add: Found it!! Look in the Health/Nutrition/Grooming Section - it is still pinned at the top, still active.

I complained to Coles that chicken necks were only 10c a kg cheaper than wings, they used to throw the damn things out, same as frames, then they realised they could make a buck out of dog lovers. :mad

Guest Labradork

Our local butcher gives them away mostly... but I insist on paying something so they fill a bag and only charge me a dollar... *grin*

T.

I get a massive bag of lamb leg bones for only $5 from my butcher :)

All I can say is you people must have big freezers :laugh:

I pay $2 for 4 frames from Leonards (and they are much bigger than Woolies who charge close to $4 for 4 if your lucky :mad )

1/3 of a frame doesn't sound much for a 17kg dog though. Is that as a meal or just a treat?

All mine get a whole one for breakfast 2 or 3 times a week and they're 16kgs, 18kgs, and 22 kgs.

Guest Labradork

I pay $2 for 4 frames from Leonards (and they are much bigger than Woolies who charge close to $4 for 4 if your lucky :mad )

1/3 of a frame doesn't sound much for a 17kg dog though. Is that as a meal or just a treat?

All mine get a whole one for breakfast 2 or 3 times a week and they're 16kgs, 18kgs, and 22 kgs.

LOL I bought an extra freezer for my Lab's bones. It's cheaper to buy everything in bulk :)

That's just her brekky, she gets dog biscuits & treats during the day, then her dinner, she's not starving, trust me. :rofl:

I break the wishbone but I also break out the hardest part of the breastbone, that hooky bit comes away from the cartilage (after a yucky episode of Bondi SASH).

I get the same free ones as TD but buy our meat as well, they're good butchers. We have a little mini freezer but it's half full of Big Dog BARF and the odd pub raffle meat tray as well. We keep it pretty busy :) Husband hasn't yet worked out why thd lamb chops keep disappearing (freezer burn, promise!)

There is a place over in blacktown sydney that sells chicken pet mince for 30cents a kilo!!!!!! :eek:

I bought an extra freezer and purchased 50kg of it

Be careful with chicken mince, my boys mother started having seizures & lost body strength. When we took her to the Vet, he said dogs can have a reaction to chicken mince, because of the hormones & other additives that are put into it.

After we stopped feeding her chicken mince, she was fine.

There is a place over in blacktown sydney that sells chicken pet mince for 30cents a kilo!!!!!! :eek:

Be careful with chicken mince, my boys mother started having seizures & lost body strength. When we took her to the Vet, he said dogs can have a reaction to chicken mince, because of the hormones & other additives that are put into it.

I have been feeding the same stuff for months and they strive on it and a friend of mine feeds the same, but I guess all dogs are different I am glad your dog is fine now though :) Loki went to the vet yesterday and the reason for his runny poops was apparently he ate a foreign object silly boy :o

I have been feeding the same stuff for months and they strive on it and a friend of mine feeds the same, but I guess all dogs are different I am glad your dog is fine now though :) Loki went to the vet yesterday and the reason for his runny poops was apparently he ate a foreign object silly boy :o

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean to you, just letting people know that some dogs can be allergic to some chicken mince because of the additives.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean to you, just letting people know that some dogs can be allergic to some chicken mince because of the additives.

LOL I didnt think that at all :heart: and I meant to say Thrive not strive haha getting a a bit tired over here :p