Dogs And Wasps

Staffyluv

Zig was bored this afternoon and hanging out in my office.

So I pinned the screen door so he could come and go as he pleases.

I saw him snuffling around over behind the filing room door and then he yelped.

Checking it out there was a wasp crawling around there.

He seems fine, I can't even see any swelling, so I am hoping he didn't get stung.

I went in search of a best and found a few smallish ones on the back deck.. How do I get rid of them?

TIA

My mum has a great method fro disposing of wasp nests...

She gets out the barrel vacuum cleaner, sprays bug killer into it, then sucks all the wasps into it - then she just plucks the nest down and chucks it in the bin.

Dad tried to vacuum them once without putting the bug spray in first... let's just say he won't try it again... the wasps all came back out the hose and they weren't happy...

T.

I use petrol. It evaporates very quickly on a warm day but you probably can't re-use the cheap spray bottles because it erodes the plastic. Have cleaned up several paper wasp nest with it around here and the smell does not hang around for long.

Edited by BlackJaq

Be careful if they are European wasps, they can become pretty aggressive when their nest is disturbed! I once walked too close to a nest (I didn't know it was there) and they chased me to the end of the street...

I looked at some pictures of wasps and it looks like a European wasp...

The nests on the back deck look empty, there are no wasps coming or going from them.. They sort of look a bit eroded to, like they have been there a long time (can't believe I didn't notice them before)...

I am thinking that maybe they are old and the wasp came from somewhere else.

Poor boy keeps scratching at his muzzle, I think it got him but not by much...

He has just had a heap of ice cubes and he seems more settled again now...

a few years ago there was a European wasp nest at the park where I walk the dogs. Penny got stung several times and she was very confused because she didn't know where it was coming from. She'd jump and then go WOOF! as if to say piss off! I had to run and call her so she ran away from them. I was so enraged that these awful things had attacked my girl I waited until dusk and went back with kero. I poured it down the nest and then dropped a match in there. It got rid of them but I very nearly started a grass fire, so was then frantically stamping out the flames in rubber thongs. :laugh: I would suggest kero works well but be better prepared than I was. :laugh:

If you have any Polaramine or something similar, you can try that if he seems to need it - European wasps can (unlike a bee) sting multiple times - and it really, really hurts. Can you tell I don't like them. :mad

I gave him a dose of polaramine when it happened just in case..

Maybe that is why he is so flat tonight..

My poor baby, I have never seen him this quiet.. He still wants to play but it's half hearted...

I don't advise this but when i was younger one of mum's friends got a can of raid and lighter and fire bombed the nest, really bad idea, yet effective.

Haha, that is what my son wanted to do.. But I pointed out that they are attached to the house under the deck roofline..

The house is insured, however I am not sure we would be covered...

Zig was bored this afternoon and hanging out in my office.

So I pinned the screen door so he could come and go as he pleases.

I saw him snuffling around over behind the filing room door and then he yelped.

Checking it out there was a wasp crawling around there.

He seems fine, I can't even see any swelling, so I am hoping he didn't get stung.

I went in search of a best and found a few smallish ones on the back deck.. How do I get rid of them?

TIA

Poor Ziggy :( Billie tried to eat one on the weekend. I gave her some frozen bones to take the edge off but she was quiet for the rest of the evening. OH burned the nest later.

Poor Zig :sick: I hope he is feeling better this morning SL.

One of ours played with a bee once, poor little loves face swelled so quickly (her face was huge!) I rushed her to the vet after hours and she had an antihistamine shot. It settled down pretty quickly after that.

WD40 is a great idea, I have not heard of that. We have those dreadful wasps at times as well, they are such angry things! Chase me and the kids all over the garden at times. A friend of mine showed me how to get rid of the nest. I have to wait until dark (when they are all inside the nest) light a peice of newspaper and hold it to the nest. If they try to come out to attack you their wings burn off :( which is a bit sad. It did work though, no more cranky wasps.

He is fine this morning. Still asleep on my bed but that is pretty normal, he hardly ever gets up before 9am...

He had a pretty restless night and got up a few times but I'd say that might be the effects of the polaramine. It might have made him feel a bit off..

I checked those nests on the back deck at dawn this morning and at dusk last night and they are definitely empty, there is no activity at all..

I think the wasp that was in the office was from somewhere else... Hopefully it was a random thing and I won't see any more of them.

I'd knock those old nests down SL just in case you get "squatter wasps" lol

haha, I've not seen a squatter wasp but I bet they are nasty as the others...

It is on my to do list this weekend, along with a million other chores I have let go (because it is to easy to take him for a walk and a play to do housework)