Something Very, Very Weird

yellowgirl

Sorry for the delay in replying. I have a Chronic Fatigue condition (and a couple of other annoying issues thrown in for good measure) so I get tired quite easily. I've just had a lovely and much needed 14 hour sleep :)

Snook, who was kind enough to dog-sit for me yesterday while I took two bubs to the vet, has answered a few questions already. Thanks Snook :)

I'd take the tape to the museum and get one of the zoologists to listen to it. You can trick your brain into hearing something then when you suggest that others hear it to. Not saying it wasn't a man but it is causing some stress so better not to let imaginations run wild.

I'd be interested in someone else listening to it Rev Jo. I'd particularly like to find someone with one of those contraptions that separates sounds, bit hard I think though when the original recording is on a cassette tape from the 90's.

Yes, since a few people are thinking it's supernatural, I wanted to be specific, I think it's just an arsehole casing her house and terrorising her poor little dogs. I retract my former comment about it being a clown, I dont think they sound like that. :laugh:

YG if it looks like they'll be coming through the doggy door to rob you just put a little note up saying Smile! you're on Candid Camera! :D

I think you're spot on Kirislin. I like the sign idea too :)

what about that man you had problems with long time ago, the cop one, or ex cop, the ex partner, sorry i can't remember who he was, just remember you doing a post long time ago about him. Is he long gone now? does he know where u live now?

I got my husband to listen to it, but he was not really listening properly because he was doing something else at the time, typical but he thought it was one of the dogs making some weird howling sound and being distorted by the dictaphone.

I had a bit of trouble a few years ago with my ex husband Jules. I was so busy protecting the dogs and taking them with me everywhere that I forgot that he still had a key to the house. After coming home to a rather empty house I changed the locks that day and borrowed some furniture to make do. I didn't care about the furniture, he was gone, the dogs were safe, and that's all that mattered to me :)

Sounds like an idiot. (And that's me being polite.)

If someone did put their head through the doggy door, how did they get access to the yard? And why would you do that? I feel for the little dog at the end as you can hear the whimper. Maybe get yourself a Bullmastiff, that moves up silently and then !! Surprise!

I agree poochmad, it was an idiot, possibly someone off their head. The one accessible fence is 5ft high with a bin on the outside and a kennel on the other side. I basically just gave them a stepladder to get over the fence :(

Whenever you write about what happens in your house, it freaks me out. I don't know how you stay there. I'd be gone in a flash.

I moved a year ago poochmad. In my other place, I seemed to be a magnet for people who needed help and the mentally ill.

Slight problem with the move to this place is that I swapped Housing Trust houses with an alcoholic lady who was quite a bother in the first few months. After her last episode of coming to my house when my dad was here dog-sitting, I reported it to the police and let her know that I would keep doing that each time she turned up (I probably shouldn't have, but I also let her know that if I was here when she turned up that I would take care of her myself). Haven't had any issues since. Oh, and I just heard from a neighbour yesterday that she's moved interstate now, so yay for that one.

You know, I have a portable electric fence unit. Its ancient but it works well still. Maybe you could borrow one of those and connect it to a metal fence/gate when you go out and make sure doggies can't touch that gate/fence. Whoever is entering your yard will probably not come back.

We had people climbing the fence and attempting to ride my horses back when we lived in town. They also fed them all sorts of crap, including maccas bags full of wrappers, tissues, chips etc

The electric fence on the people side of the fence pretty much fixed that. Like.. Over night

I would LOVE to be able to zap the hell out of them BlackJaq! I would also love to be able to watch it :laugh:

Your poor horses :( Gawd there are some real arses out there... glad they got zapped.

Poor you.... I'm sorry they've scared your dear little ones. How dare they do something so stupid like that. Gee I hate people sometimes....

Join the club CHA. That's the bit that makes me sooooo mad, they've traumatised quite a few of the dogs here. Lots of little things make sense now that I know someone frightened them like that. I hate that I wasn't able to protect them as they're supposed to be finally safe from humans when they come here :(

Any updates YG? How did you get on at the Police station? Hoping everything and all puppers have calmed down a little today *hugs*

Still quite a few wees in the house Bianca, Daisy's OCD is still pretty bad (increased noticeably on Friday night), Bobby, Daisy and Maddie are all very reactive to any noises. Snook said that George was pacing constantly and going in and out the whole time I was gone.

I explained the situation to the police officer and played the tape. I tried not to make too big a deal out of it and make myself look like the crazy dog lady who records random neighbourhood noises ..lol. The officer was fairly impressed with the noise and agreed that it was a man, probably there with the intention of casing the place and maybe trying to get through the doggy door but was presented with a bunch of barking dogs and decided to yell at them before leaving. I've made an incident report, that's about all I can do.

Two tossers who decided to burgle the house. The dogs heard them and began barking. You can tell from the loudest bark that the dog is barking at something scary, not nothing.

Tossers changed their minds because of the dogs barking, but left the dogs with a message through the dog door.

Someone knocked off houses in this street - but not ones where the dogs barked. It is pretty standard for idiots up to no good to leave houses with dogs.

I am putting on my tin foil hat just in case though!!

That's exactly what I think happened too Jed.

Is there an update to this? What did the police say?

See above poochmad.

Edited by yellowgirl

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Government Labradork, the Government (hums tune to the X Files)

On a serious note, I'm worried about your security Yellowgirl, if you don't go out for long, can you get the blind dogs used to being crated maybe, so you can lock the dog door.

I always used to get a friend or family member to dog-sit for me when I was out, but that was mainly to keep an eye on them when new dogs were added to the mix. Now that this has happened I won't be leaving them alone again and will make sure that someone is always here.

I think what the 16 pages of this thread has shown me is that there is no way I'm even going to play that recording.

I came to that conclusion too :laugh:

You know you want to. Do it with a friend there and scare the crap out of them at the same time :laugh:

Don't Sheridan, it's not nice, especially if you live alone :eek:

How did it go with the cops YG?

Just answered in the last post Aussie.

Don't Sheridan, it's not nice, especially if you live alone :eek:

agree.

I think, YG you should sell it as a sound effect for movies !!

It may be something very simple ... and it's only a recording ...but it really did put the hairs up on the back of my neck, and set the heart racing ..and had me jumpy .

It had a bad feel to it.

I think it had a bad feel to it because the person doing it is a bad person. I nearly wet my pants when I first heard it :eek:

I played it again and my cat was sitting next to me and I now have a scratch where it jumped over the top of me to escape the sound...Note to self: When cat is nearby turn down volume

Aww, poor kitty.

I think what the 16 pages of this thread has shown me is that there is no way I'm even going to play that recording.

I came to that conclusion too :laugh:

Well, I replayed it right before going to bed a few times. I dreampt about trying to decipher the background voices. Oh dear!

Sorry about that Aphelion, did you happen to come up with anything though? I'd love for someone to decipher the whispering.

How do we turn it into a ringtone?

OMG Aidan!!

omg wish i hadnt listened to that with headphones on :eek:

Persephone posted a warning about that early on Tara :laugh:

..no .. not a ringtone eek1.gif

how about 'something to play for those cold callers from other countries?'

I just scream at them, I don't need a recording

I play them Elvis Presley Gospel songs.....they clearly have bad taste in music, they never bother to hang around to listen.....:shrug:

I finally got around to listening to it....can definitely hear the woman at the beginning and then the dogs go into a panic...must be so scary for you. Definitely agree with the cameras and the sign. Unfortunately they'll only prevent the most honest or stupid intruders but anybody who'd roar at a dog through a doggy door clearly is a few splinters short of a plank anyway!

<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">

Persephone posted a warning about that early on Tara :laugh:

yes she did!!!! eek1.gificon_smile_mad.gifembarrass.gif

I didnt go through all the pages before listening, bloody wish i would have jeezzz :eek: :laugh:

..no .. not a ringtone eek1.gif

how about 'something to play for those cold callers from other countries?'

I just scream at them, I don't need a recording

I play them Elvis Presley Gospel songs.....they clearly have bad taste in music, they never bother to hang around to listen.....:shrug:

I used to be a telemarketer and I had quite a few people play death metal and I think one guy was having sex once (or doing something untoward).

Guest Labradork

I just listened to it again three times with headphones.

The tape is definitely not distorted because you can hear the dogs and the creepy noise clearly at the same time. I couldn't hear a woman talking; I could only hear a radio or TV turned down low in the background.

It doesn't sound scary when you listen to it during the day (well, not to me). After listening to it again with headphones, it sounds more like an animal than a human to me. I'm going with male koala :)

Just to be safe, I would still go ahead with the police report, talking to the neighbours and getting a camera.

I can definately hear the girl/woman's voice at the beginning, but the sound sounds like it is mechanical rather than human to me, especially at the beginning - like someone else's suggestion of a halloween toy. It's strange how the dogs are quiet immediately - mine would keep carry on until the intruder had left the property.

Hopefully it was just kids being silly buggers. So sorry your wee doggies had to suffer this.

Hopefully that's the last time you will have any trouble.

I was thinking about this today while hanging out the washing about what an idiot (double idiot now :D) he was for putting his face through. How did he know you didn't have a large dog inside?

Now I understand when breeders with little dogs have a large dog, often a Maremma to keep their babies safe...maybe not such a bad idea considering where you live and the tossers you have around?

I finally got around to listening to it....can definitely hear the woman at the beginning and then the dogs go into a panic...must be so scary for you. Definitely agree with the cameras and the sign. Unfortunately they'll only prevent the most honest or stupid intruders but anybody who'd roar at a dog through a doggy door clearly is a few splinters short of a plank anyway!

That's the worry ellz, we're dealing with a total moron here.

I think you have done most of what you can and I am really glad to hear the police took an incident report. Hopefully so many barking dogs just made your place seem too much like a hassle. Glad you got some rest... :)

I hope so FF.

I just listened to it again three times with headphones.

The tape is definitely not distorted because you can hear the dogs and the creepy noise clearly at the same time. I couldn't hear a woman talking; I could only hear a radio or TV turned down low in the background.

It doesn't sound scary when you listen to it during the day (well, not to me). After listening to it again with headphones, it sounds more like an animal than a human to me. I'm going with male koala :)

Just to be safe, I would still go ahead with the police report, talking to the neighbours and getting a camera.

Made a police report yesterday, in the process of talking to the neighbours and working on getting some extra $$ to get some security stuff organised.

Really? We're back to the koala now?? :laugh:

I can definately hear the girl/woman's voice at the beginning, but the sound sounds like it is mechanical rather than human to me, especially at the beginning - like someone else's suggestion of a halloween toy. It's strange how the dogs are quiet immediately - mine would keep carry on until the intruder had left the property.

Hopefully it was just kids being silly buggers. So sorry your wee doggies had to suffer this.

I thought mine would have kept barking too Ash, even if they had run off a ways, but I really think this moron scared the absolute sh!t out of them and they went totally quiet rather than risk anything else happening. Most of the dogs here have previously had pretty crappy experiences with humans.

Hopefully that's the last time you will have any trouble.

I was thinking about this today while hanging out the washing about what an idiot (double idiot now :D) he was for putting his face through. How did he know you didn't have a large dog inside?

Now I understand when breeders with little dogs have a large dog, often a Maremma to keep their babies safe...maybe not such a bad idea considering where you live and the tossers you have around?

The unfortunate thing is that if he'd got stuck or something, the only one who was brave enough to stay nearby and keep barking at him was Daisy ... and she has no teeth! :laugh:

You know if I get a big guard dog I'll need a bigger doggy door? lol

If it helps, I listened to this out of context with no back story because I was directed to it externally. I did call ID of native animals for a few years when I was an environmental consultant. You get a keen ear for animal sounds when it's your job to identify them. I thought it was human. Koalas are more gurgly and husky, possums are more high-pitched and purry, foxes make some odd alarm or defence calls, but it's too long, really. I'd buy koala in a pinch if you lived in a koala area, and I'd buy possum or fox as a remote possibility with really abnormal sounds because they were mightily scared, but human seems far more likely just going on the scary sound all on its own out of context. Although I thought it was a freaking bizarre sound for a human as well.

Honestly, scary sounds automatically sound 'bad', like there is evil intent behind them. I couldn't say how many call playbacks I did over the years, but every single time Masked Owl was on the list it made my skin crawl. I would listen to that and mutter "No wonder people are scared of the night." It sounds like something that's crawled straight out of hell. It's an owl. It does not have evil intent.

and she has no teeth! :laugh:

..but she'd give him a nasty suck!! :rofl:

:laugh: Oh, that one did make me laugh Pers! I'm glad she didn't touch the maggoty cretin at all though, I'd have to have disinfected her in case she caught something.

If it helps, I listened to this out of context with no back story because I was directed to it externally. I did call ID of native animals for a few years when I was an environmental consultant. You get a keen ear for animal sounds when it's your job to identify them. I thought it was human. Koalas are more gurgly and husky, possums are more high-pitched and purry, foxes make some odd alarm or defence calls, but it's too long, really. I'd buy koala in a pinch if you lived in a koala area, and I'd buy possum or fox as a remote possibility with really abnormal sounds because they were mightily scared, but human seems far more likely just going on the scary sound all on its own out of context. Although I thought it was a freaking bizarre sound for a human as well.

Honestly, scary sounds automatically sound 'bad', like there is evil intent behind them. I couldn't say how many call playbacks I did over the years, but every single time Masked Owl was on the list it made my skin crawl. I would listen to that and mutter "No wonder people are scared of the night." It sounds like something that's crawled straight out of hell. It's an owl. It does not have evil intent.

Thanks so much for your input Corvus, much appreciated, and yes it does help. xx