My Lab Bit Me.

Domandal

Layla our adored Lab almost 2 years old bit me this morning and I'm not sure what do. First ill tell you a bit about our situation, Layla was bought from a breeder as a pup of 7 weeks. She is reasonably obedient after I used clicker training to train her, these days though unless she can see the treat or the reward she won't complete the order. Ok so realise I have more work to do there. I work a 2 week on 2 week off roster fly in fly out, so my fiancé is more of the boss for Layla then I am and I understand that. Layla is walked every day and most days I am home I take her to the local animal exercise beach. She does not exhibit any aggressive behaviour to any other dogs or humans. Layla and I have on occasion had disagreements though where she will have grizzle, an example is jumping in the back of our 4wd after a walk or beach session, if I happen to be without a treat she will not jump in the car. In this situation I have to pick her up to avoid a lengthy wait. In that scenario occasionally she will growl when I go to pick her up. I ignore this and tell her off once she is in the back of the car, but she wouldn't bite.

The other grizzle situation is the situation where we let her sleep on our bed and is the situation where I was bit this morning.

Layla's regular bed is in our laundry which she enjoys very much and is trained with the command on your bed. My fiancé when I'm away from work occasionally let's her sleep on our bed and also sometimes when I'm home we let her sleep on the bed. The issue is she jumps in my spot not leaving me room to get in and most occasions I give her a shove to move her over and she will move without protest, other times she will growl then move, this morning she nipped and growled the first time I shoved, not wanting to allow her to consider that an acceptable behaviour I told her off and shoved again almost immediately she escalated it to a firm bite on the arm not painful for me. So now I wanted to punish her by removing her from the room and onto her bed, when I attempted to gently push her off the bed she bit very hard on my hand puncturing my ring finger.

Layla has never been mistreated but I am certain she sees me as a on level terms with her, not the leader and I feel it has something to do with the way she was trained as there were no consequences for bad behaviour other then being put outside.

Outside of this incident Layla has been a fantastic companion, and we both love her but I'm not sure what to do about this other than not allowing her on our bed anymore. I felt more hurt that she felt the need to bite me that hard then the pain of the bite.

Edited by Domandal

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You and your position in this household have been usurped. I suggest getting a professional behaviourist asap and learning how to effectively communicate with and control your girl. Good luck. Someone will be along with links to behaviourists. Where in WA are you?

No advice re Layla.....BUT please make sure you have your hand looked at by a Doctor and maybe go on antibiotics. I had a small puncture from a dog bite and finished up in Hospital with 3 surgeries.

Dog nips that puncture the skin especially near bone need treatment.

OK.. you and your fiance need to get in professional help. ASAP.

this is not something which can be adequately handled on an internet forum, unfortunately ....you need a professional to meet all of you , and then work on exactly what's happening, at home, with you.

hopefully you are near perth ..

Contact THIS PERSON.. she has been used by those on D O L before...

Layla has never been mistreated but I am certain she sees me as a on level terms with her, not the leader and I feel it has something to do with the way she was trained as there were no consequences for bad behaviour other then being put outside.

Outside of this incident Layla has been a fantastic companion, and we both love her but I'm not sure what to do about this other than not allowing her on our bed anymore. I felt more hurt that she felt the need to bite me that hard then the pain of the bite.

I am glad you see it this way :)

Please contact Kathy ..and I hope you can all become a comfortable, trusting 'family' , with some hard work :)

Edited by persephone

I also think that she thinks that she thinks she is ahead of you in the pack

Have a look at Steve Courtenay's site on K9? (he is a member of DOL) about Nothing in Life is Free and Triangle of Temptation whilst you wait your appointment with a professional trainer.

I had a similar situation with my male golden, although he never bit me he growled at me when I tried to move him. But being lucky enough to have a couple of sessions with Steve, my pack order is great so it is really is worth it.

Good luck with it all.

Also nothing is hurting with Layla? Perhaps a vet check might help as well.

I also recommend a trainer, however, in the meantime I would at least stop trying to use physical manipulation with her as that is what seems to be causing the problem. I would also make sure she has a thorough vet check to ensure she is not sore as that could be part of what causes her to escalate.

Many years ago I had a lab x and I can remember one day she was on my bed and I told her to get off and she wouldnt so I pushed her off and she growled and snapped at me. She then went and got on the kids bed and once again she growled at me. I stood my ground and pushed her off and put her outside, and she never tried it again. I just always had to be the boss with her. She was a great dog though and loved her family. I have a german shorthaired pointer who is now 11. I trained her when she was young using the method of ignore the bad stuff and reward the good stuff. She turned out quite wild. I had to bring her back into line. Even though she was trained that way, she has never ever tried to bite me or anyone else. Its just not in her nature. You just have to be consistant in your training, and never let your dog think you are afraid of him/her.

Please don't tell your dog off for growling, that's her way of communicating with you and when she growls that is her warning to you. It's basically me skipping the stop it I don't like it part and punching you instead. It's not fair to take away her means of communication because you think it's not acceptable, you need to address the issue that is making her growl and fix that for the growling to stop.

Agreed that you need to see some one profesional ASAP, as the behaviour will escalate further if lefted unchecked.

The bed cuddles are over now, even when you are away. When you first moved her off the bed, she growled and nipped you, you continued (as is absolutely your right) to push her and she has upped the anti as a result. How did you eventually get her off the bed?

Put her in the laundry at night until you can get further advice and don't do anything to push her buttons IYKWIM. A vet check may be in order and a Dr visit for you is a MUST!

Good luck and don't give up on her, she just needs to know the rules as it sounds like she has no boundaries.

I agree with what everyone else has said. I have had a small dog behave in this way and learned that if I wanted to move them, i was best to put a lead on. I was never bitten.

I'd recommend no more bed sharing with her at all and get a behaviouralist in asap.

Good luck - it's normally our fault that these problems occur, even though we think we love them and are doing everything in our power to make them a happy dog. Most normal dog owners are not experts in behaviour and don't understand what to do when things go wrong Thank goodness there is professional help out there and honestly, you won't know yourself when you've got the right help, you'll be able to have the happy relationship you seek and your dog will also be much happier!

Maybe she is sore? It seems to only be when you pick her up or 'shove' her. I have a dog who would bite me if I 'shoved' her. Heck, I would bite if someone shoved me.

I'd be straight to the vet before anything else.

Thanks for the responses will definitely seek out some help, it's funny before this morning I thought we had done a reasonable job training Layla, she wasn't perfect but she was manageable. Looks like I have to get a doctors appointment too, that wasn't on my list of things to do today!

I'm also wondering as Layla is giving us the morning yelp from the laundry to let her out for a pee, this is routine, should I change my behaviour towards her this morning to let her know I'm disappointed or is that a waste of time.

Maybe she is sore? It seems to only be when you pick her up or 'shove' her. I have a dog who would bite me if I 'shoved' her. Heck, I would bite if someone shoved me.

I'd be straight to the vet before anything else.

She hasn't shown any signs of pain and moves freely during swimming and running at the beach yesterday, but I will get her checked out.