Breed For My Mother.

IggiePiggie

So for Christmas my family is considering buying our mother, who is 63, a puppy. I thought i would get a reading on here for what breeds you think would be most appropriate.

I have Italian Greyhounds and my mum has always loved them. and she has spoken about how she'd love one, but i get the feeling that they won't quite meet her needs.

I think they may be a little too neurotic for her and i think she would like a dog that she can walk occasionally without a lead etc. Although I am sure this is something she could cave on.

She needs something very affectionate, which is what she loved about my IG's.

She has previously had Cocker Spaniels which is something we are considering. But just hoping for some suggestions for companion dogs for older people.

I personally wanted to get her a GAP greyhound however the family has become caught up in the puppy idea, and i am not making any headway in that regards so I just want to make sure we get her a breed that is compatible.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your mother actually want to take on a dog and be committed to it??

Does she want to go through bringing up a puppy?

I'm not much younger than her, and I thought long and hard before taking on a new mature-age dog. Came very close to not doing so.

Make sure that is actually what she wants. And if she does, I'm sure she would have a breed in mind. Ask HER what breed she wants, not us!!

Agree with Noisy. It's all well and good for the family to want a puppy but it's your mum that will be doing all the hard yards with a pup. Of course I think your choice of a GAP grey is the best :) but whatever breed you choose I would be going an older dog.

She does want it. She has been talking about it for ages. The coinciding of Christmas and her birthday just gives us a chance to buy it for her.

She does have an idea of what kind of dog she wants, as I said, she would like something along the lines of an Italian Greyhound but she doesn't want to have the restrictions that come with a sighthound.

I am essentially doing research for her.

Thanks for the response mixeduppup.

Agree with Noisy. It's all well and good for the family to want a puppy but it's your mum that will be doing all the hard yards with a pup. Of course I think your choice of a GAP grey is the best :) but whatever breed you choose I would be going an older dog.

Just quickly, we are not going blindly into this, neither is she. We are effectively workshopping an idea at the moment, and I was trying to get some ideas about suitable breeds.

I will personally be looking at getting an older dog for her, but may have to negioate with a large family.

;)

What about a Cavvie?

I am worried about health issues. I am largely ignorant about cavvies but unfortunately what i have heard is that they are prone to several health problems. Obviously most dogs have their issues and breeding has a lot to do with it but would need more info.

Thanks for the suggestion, i will look into it.

Guest donatella

A toy or mini poodle

Dachshund

Not sure about the walk off lead I would only ever do this in a designated fenced off leash area, too dangerous otherwise.

Just quickly, we are not going blindly into this, neither is she. We are effectively workshopping an idea at the moment, and I was trying to get some ideas about suitable breeds.

I will personally be looking at getting an older dog for her, but may have to negioate with a large family.

;)

Oh no don't get me wrong I'm not having a go at you I was just thinking maybe at her age she my not be up for a puppy. I know I'm not and I'm 48 :) I did read it wrong though, I thought it was a surprise...apologies :o

A toy or mini poodle

Dachshund

Not sure about the walk off lead I would only ever do this in a designated fenced off leash area, too dangerous otherwise.

Her last 2 dogs were Daschunds, both had back problems, so we are trying to go for something else this time.

RE: the leash issues. completely agree, sighthounds or otherwise. Workin on it.

How are you and your family looking to source this dog for your mother from? Most reputable breeders may already have their litters assigned to new homes by now...

May I suggest that you look into rescue dogs as well? www.petrescue.com.au - pups also come up for adoption in rescue... and maybe an older pup or adult dog who has been in foster care may be an option?

I'd also suggest strongly that whatever you decide to get your mum for christmas, that she have a very large part to play in the selection/adoption process.

T.

Start trawling the PetRescue website.

If you mum is retired and lives alone and has plenty of free time, I don't see much wrong with getting a puppy. She'd have the time and energy to put into getting it trained and enjoying all the variety :D :D that goes with a puppy

I'm a few years older than your mum and have 5 small dogs - have had up to 8 at one time which included foster/rescue dogs.

For what it is worth, the only consideration here is the breed, which is why I suggest having a look at the PetRescue website where you will see a vast array of dogs of all breeds, mixes and ages.

Unless someone is absolutely fixated on a particular breed, in the final analysis they will love whatever dog they get.

Guest donatella

A toy or mini poodle

Dachshund

Her last 2 dogs were Daschunds, both had back problems, so we are trying to go for something else this time.

RE: the leash issues. completely agree, sighthounds or otherwise. Workin on it.

Oh at least I'm on par with her tastes I guess :laugh:

;)

Oh no don't get me wrong I'm not having a go at you I was just thinking maybe at her age she my not be up for a puppy. I know I'm not and I'm 48 :) I did read it wrong though, I thought it was a surprise...apologies :o

Hahah, i kinda of realised after I'd posted it that i was inviting that kind of interpretation. My bad. I do want people to know though that i am not an ignorant dog-person. I am just trying to get helpful information as to peoples experience of what kind of breeds make good companion dogs for older owners, so we can do more research.

Btw, my mum has just retired and she has decided she wants a puppy, she is willing to put in the time for it. She has had 6 children so she knows what she is in for.

What I wil be doing to pushing for a dog around the year mark. I having been trying to convince my siblings this is for the best, I personally had a hard time with my second IG, Hank. And I was prepared, as it was only 3 years after my first.

Do you think this sounds like a good idea?

Do you think a year will effectively make it easier on both parties?

My cousin bought a dog for her dad's birthday from a reputable breeder. It wasn't a surprise though and the breeder spoke to my aunt a few times before selling a pup. It is all about the telling - the dog is your mums but you're the one just paying for it.

How active is your mum? My aunt and uncle are in their early 70's and got a STD schaunzer puppy - a very active breed. He is walked 3 times a day, goes most places with my aunt and is visited by their 20+ grand kids often - he lives a very charmed life. Early sixties really isn't that old these days.