Registered Breeder Question

carrie

Please excuse my ignorance. I have recently met a lady who is very proud to be a registered breeder and tells everyone that she is a registered breeder frequently.

However, she has never bred a litter and she doesn't have a single registered dog! This is what confuses me. How can someone be registered as a breeder when all their dogs are unpapered and from backyard breeders?

Can anyone register as a breeder without even owning a registered dog?

You can not become a registered breeder of your states controlling body unless

1. You are are fully financial member of the body.

2. Have fulfilled all the requirements to apply for a breeders prefix.

3. Have been granted a breeders Prefix.

To prove this a member has a m/ship card and the prefix is usually printed on it.

Unless this can be produced I would take it that the persons claiming to be a Registered breeder is not.

This person may be registered with their council only. Which in my mind only makes them a back yard breeder.

Edited by oakway

Please excuse my ignorance. I have recently met a lady who is very proud to be a registered breeder and tells everyone that she is a registered breeder frequently.

However, she has never bred a litter and she doesn't have a single registered dog! This is what confuses me. How can someone be registered as a breeder when all their dogs are unpapered and from backyard breeders?

Can anyone register as a breeder without even owning a registered dog?

I'd ask her what her prefix is. If she's a newly registered breeder, she'd probably love to know someone who asks about her prefix!

You can not become a registered breeder of your states controlling body unless

1. You are are fully financial member of the body.

2. Have fulfilled all the requirements to apply for a breeders prefix.

3. Have been granted a breeders Prefix.

To prove this a member has a m/ship card and the prefix is usually printed on it.

Unless this can be produced I would take it that the persons claiming to be a Registered breeder is not.

This person may be registered with their council only. Which in my mind only makes them a back yard breeder.

I agree

She may say what she wants - as she has not bred anything, she is not a breeder, nor the owner of a registered dog, so she is not a registered breeder.

I am an astronaut!!

Edited to remove nonsensical rubbish and replace with something marginally more sensible. Oops :o

Edited by Jed

Considering you have to be a registered breeder before you can breed a registered litter it would seem to me that many people would be a registered breeder before they get their dog or are ready to actually breed.Becoming a registered breeder and owning an entire purebred dog is not a requirement for application to state CC's anyway. There are several people I know in Victoria who are registered breeders with Vic dogs and breed puppies but don't register their puppies as the dogs they are breeding are not registered with Vicdogs . They are breeder members in order to be able to get the exemptions on numbers but breed first cross dogs and unpapered purebreds and working dogs with no papers.

However, breeders can be registered with many different organisations and assuming its an ANKC affiliated group they are registered with is not really giving the potential answers.