Camping Weekend

Flashsmum

We went camping on the weekend with our dogs, and my parents and their pooch. It was a campground on private property which allows dogs.

What we found amazing was the fact that other campers went to bed and left their dogs outside for the night, and therefore the dogs roamed around visiting other camps. Our dogs slept in our tent, and my parents' dog was in their motorhome, and we brought them out durng the night on leashes for a pee break.

Before going to bed, we'd put our dogs into the tent, and were sitting aroud the fire having a glass of wine, when this dog walked straight up to us to say hello. He was a beautiful natured red kelpie, and sat when we spoke to him. He was lovely, but wanted to hang around with us!! When I told him to go home, he went, but kept looking back at us. I felt sorry for it, thinking he just wanted company. (I know I'm a sook :o )

There was another little mixed breed dog, and she kept walking close to our camp and growling and barking at us. The owners didn't call her back, but when I took her back, said not to worry, she's just territorial. I was amazed that she wasn't worried about the fact that we had three big dogs with us (who just ignored the little one) and she had no idea whether they would react badly to being told off by her dog (luckily they didn't care).

Is this a common thing? The places we have been to before were pretty out of the way, or more organised campgrounds where there were stricter rules. We were surprised that people weren't more aware of what their dogs were doing, and pretty casual about them going for wander, sepecially as it's surrounded by bush where the dogs could easily go off chasing something. Or are we just too fussy about keeping our dogs close?

Besides that, we had a great time! Sorry for the whinge.

Hi Flashsmum,

In MHO think this is not only careless, but rude!

I too have large dogs, and whenever we take them camping, they are always secured when we're not watching them, and if they are off leash, they are supervised. I wouldn't dream of just letting them wander especially at night and if other campers are around!!

Maybe I am just more aware that due to their size, people are intimidated by them?

Anywhoo...that's my 2 cents. :)

I think that is totally irresponsible!! When we go camping I'm happy for my dogs to be off-lead during the daytime if I am sure they won't go running off after rabbits or anything else and I make sure they stay close around my campsite, BUT at night time - no way. There are sooooooooo many issues here why their dogs shouldn't be off lead at night - native animals, getting lost, dingoes (not sure where you were), annoying other campers..........

It is very common . We often stay at free camps and it is becoming very common to see dogs roaming , Beacause of this dog poos are not being picked up :mad

I get a bit concerned as there will be less and less camping spots that will allow dogs soon .

We are away caravaning atm & into our 2nd week with our 2 BC's. Our dogs sleep in our van in their beds with us. We have our annex fenced off with 3 dog pens joined together so they are always safe & secure. Personally I think to let them wander about is unfair to people who are not dog lovers & totally unsafe for your dog.

people that let their dogs roam, make noise, disturb others and dont clean are are the ones that ruin it for te rest of us

Yes , very true & those particilar dog "owners" are the first ones to scream if all of sudden their fav leash free has now become "no dogs allowed".