Entering Trials

When you enter a dog trial or show, do you have to use the dog's full registered name?

I've noticed on catalogues for agility trials that some dogs that appear to be on the full register (ie not associate) only have their normal name listed (unless that is also their registered name?)

I understand that breeders probably want to have their dog's achievements recognised but personally I'd rather just enter my dog with her normal name, not her registered name which sounds ridiculous.

Is it possible?

You have to enter with the name the dog is registered in with the state body.

Can you change their registered name then?

I don't think so. Unless there is some way you can have the dog registered as an Associate?

Now I want to know what your dogs name is, must be pretty embarrasing :D

Its not that bad, just the kennel name with her normal name added after that, but it just sounds a bit ridiculous and pretentious, most of our agility friends are on the associate register so think mindy's registered name is a bit stoopid. I actually think the themed names sounds ok and some quite suit the dog!

She's already on the main register so I doubt I'd be able to register her as an associate. I should have just done that in the first place as it would have been much easier and cheaper :doh:

Now I want to know what your dogs name is, must be pretty embarrasing :D

Its not that bad, just the kennel name with her normal name added after that, but it just sounds a bit ridiculous and pretentious, most of our agility friends are on the associate register so think mindy's registered name is a bit stoopid. I actually think the themed names sounds ok and some quite suit the dog!

She's already on the main register so I doubt I'd be able to register her as an associate. I should have just done that in the first place as it would have been much easier and cheaper :doh:

If you're just worried about what your friends will think ... well, then I'd best not say what I want to say :flame:

I'm not sure why you have a problem with the name? All dogs that are main, limited or sporting registered would have a similar sort of name. Some people are lucky and get some say in the dog's registered name, a lot of people don't.

i don't think there are any options. The entry form requires, as has been said, the dog's name as per the Certificate of Registration (whichever register). For a pure-bred dog, that will include the breeder's prefix.

The name on the entry form is what will go into the caatalogue, and then on to the Qually cards :D , and then on the title, and back onto the Certificaate of Registration. Official name and number can't change.

I sort of feel a bit like JulesP.

Perhaps I'd feel differently if I had been close to Mindy's breeder, or actually even met them?

I've never even communicated with the kennel owner that Mindy's name is under. Her actual breeder has a different kennel name which I find a bit weird (not the name itself but the fact Mindy is under a different kennel name) but perhaps that was part of the breeding agreement?

My attempts to communicate with the other kennel and ask about their other dogs have been ignored. So I don't have great feelings for that particular kennel.

I don't care about what other people think of the name (I mean, Mindy is a silly enough name as it is :laugh:) , but I also agree that it sounds silly.

Oh well, I guess there is nothing that can be done. I don't really care that much, I just thought if there was an easy to change it, I would.

Just keep in mind if you decide to pretend she's a "new" dog and register her as an Associate, she won't be eligible for gundog trials which I know you've asked about in the past. If you only want to try your hand at RATG and not real retrieving trials, get her assessed as a gundog and put in the Associate Gundog register. You'd get to choose the registered name too.

In terms of the breeder getting recognition, it's what you make of it. Personally, I send my breeders updates, brags and photos which go on Spacebook, websites etc because I am very proud of who bred them. When I apply for a title, I add their name so they receive a breeders certificate. But if you don't make a big deal of it it won't really matter!

In terms of the breeder getting recognition, it's what you make of it. Personally, I send my breeders updates, brags and photos which go on Spacebook, websites etc because I am very proud of who bred them. When I apply for a title, I add their name so they receive a breeders certificate. But if you don't make a big deal of it it won't really matter!

It is more the name being read out at trials that I don't want. You know what my issue is with the breeder.

We already have Q's, it was hard enough to get those, I don't really fancy starting again :laugh:

Also as RS said, there is the advantage of being able to enter retrieving trials should we want to later on.

Never mind, I'm not that fussed, I don't want to go to great lengths to change her registered name. As I said its not even that bad.

It is more the name being read out at trials that I don't want. You know what my issue is with the breeder.

They rarely read them out anyway, well in my case they haven't.

Maybe because I've had the only Toller and you can't really get her confused with anyone else, but I love my girls rego name (I picked it myself :D) and they've only read it out I think once :(

I wouldn't think it would have mattered much, because regardless of personal feelings they did breed the dog, so did produce a dog that is able to be trained and trialled and should be awarded recognition. That's just my opinion though :)

Edited by tollersowned