Should I Be Concerned?

julesluvscavs

Hi Everyone :)

I recently did a post in the health section about Renae being diagnosed with high liver enzymes. She hasn't been ill as such that we have noticed. Just that we did take her to the vets to have some blood test done because she had started having little shakes and really short little trances/fits.. In every other way she is not ill in any other obvious way, apart from her being excessively hungry, well more than Cavs are usually..

So atm, they have her on 2 different medications and she has to go back to the vets in 6 weeks to see if her levels have come down or not..

What I have noticed that is different in her behaviour is that a couple weeks ago she had an Ultrasound to check if she had any cancers or what might be going on which they shaved her stomach for. When we came home, she went straight under our bed for about a hour. She never sleeps under the bed. She goes under it sometimes to see if there are any crumbs under it but comes back out straight away .

We initially thought it could just be that its cool on her tummy (we have tiles in our room), and shes not used to having a bare tummy all over lol, and also because she might have been a bit anxious from having the U/S and needed to hide under it for a while..

But since then I have heard snoring from under our bed and thought what the , wheres that coming from? as they never ever sleep under the bed, only on the floor next to the bed, if they get hot..

Its a hot day today and the aircon and fans are on, and atm shes under the bed snoring away again.

Im in our bedroom atm as well having a bit of a rest.

This is totally out of character for her, and Im thinking maybe the meds are upsetting her system?

What do you all think???

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not being dismissive of any health concerns you may have, but our little pom girl has also started going under the bed a lot more, and takes herself off to the bedroom for longer periods and we have attributed it solely to the weather..we have tiles too and it's cool and she is obviously more comfy there..in winter she's on our bed, but summers..she's under it. As I said, not slighting your concerns, but it might be as simple as wanting something cool to lay on.

Maybe she doesn't like the breeze from the aircon and fans on her shaved belly and is under there to avoid it?

Hi Alyosha :)

The aircon is in the loungeroom so she wouldn't be feeling it directly, but perhaps the fan (in our bedroom) she is feeling on her bare tummy ?

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Hi Jules,

So sorry about your darling one not being well. It is very hot at the moment and maybe she has found out that it is nice and cool under the bed (hopefully), but also if she's not feeling very well, she may feel safe and just want some peace and quiet under there.

:hug: hope she perks up soon.

Hi Jules,

So sorry about your darling one not being well. It is very hot at the moment and maybe she has found out that it is nice and cool under the bed (hopefully), but also if she's not feeling very well, she may feel safe and just want some peace and quiet under there.

:hug: hope she perks up soon.

Thanks CHA :)

I'm really hoping that is the case .... its just really out of character for her.

I hope the meds work too and she perks up :)

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

sometimes it's quite tiring second guessing their actions..if only dogs could talk, imagine the outcomes. In the interim we have to guess and when we care, the guessing is plagued with worry!

all the best Jules Cavs

Yeah I know and I'm a worry wort at the best of times :o Thank you again :)

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Well, I don't have anything constructive to add, except that I have had two little dogs who would disappear into the bedroom and under the bed from time to time. One I still have and one has long since gone to god.

I put it down to the "Greta Factor" - ie I want to be alone :laugh: and/or just a nice little cave situation, because none of the lounge chairs or couches are high enough for them to get under.

My girl hates her crate with a passion. I considered her to be un-crate trainable because regardless of how many fun games we played, or how much training we did, she screeches and howls and barks the house down whenever shes in her crate. I've left it out for some reason, just never put it away, and she still gets fed in it out of habit but she never goes in it any other time.

A few weeks back she was sick, puking and pooping and so weak she could barely walk. I found her fast asleep in her crate, curled up like a little puppy. I nearly fell over, and had to take a photo because if I'd not seen it, I would have never believed it.

So I think when dogs are sick, or unwell, there is a little switch in there that completely changes their personalties and likes and dislikes and they become whole different dogs!

Maybe your little girl likes the "cave", where its dark and safe and secure and cool.

I wouldn't worry, but check on her every now and then and let her know you're still there if she needs anything.

My old girl (13 yrs) has recently also decided that under the bed is the best place to be. It was the only place she would settle last night. She loved going under the bed as a pup, but hasn't done it in a long time. I'm still deciding whether it is indicative of something going on with her.

Well, I don't have anything constructive to add, except that I have had two little dogs who would disappear into the bedroom and under the bed from time to time. One I still have and one has long since gone to god.

I put it down to the "Greta Factor" - ie I want to be alone :laugh: and/or just a nice little cave situation, because none of the lounge chairs or couches are high enough for them to get under.

Yeah perhaps :) im sure its fairly normal, but just seems out of character for her ..

My girl hates her crate with a passion. I considered her to be un-crate trainable because regardless of how many fun games we played, or how much training we did, she screeches and howls and barks the house down whenever shes in her crate. I've left it out for some reason, just never put it away, and she still gets fed in it out of habit but she never goes in it any other time.

A few weeks back she was sick, puking and pooping and so weak she could barely walk. I found her fast asleep in her crate, curled up like a little puppy. I nearly fell over, and had to take a photo because if I'd not seen it, I would have never believed it.

So I think when dogs are sick, or unwell, there is a little switch in there that completely changes their personalties and likes and dislikes and they become whole different dogs!

Maybe your little girl likes the "cave", where its dark and safe and secure and cool.

I wouldn't worry, but check on her every now and then and let her know you're still there if she needs anything.

You could be spot on with what you said, which i have put in bold. Both ours love their crate with a passion, and when we are in the loungeroom if they're not on the sofa with us, thats where they will be :) maybe i should put it in our bedroom for a while and see what she does, altho theres not much room for a crate in our room :laugh:

Hope you girl is ok now?? poor thing, being unwell is not pleasant.

My old girl (13 yrs) has recently also decided that under the bed is the best place to be. It was the only place she would settle last night. She loved going under the bed as a pup, but hasn't done it in a long time. I'm still deciding whether it is indicative of something going on with her.

Yeah well thats the thing if its out character for them is that a sign that we are getting ?

Hope your girl is ok otherwise ?

Perhaps they start doing different things in their senior years that might be of more comfort and security to them?

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

The only other worrying thing is that she is randomly barking, sometimes for a while, and sometimes growling - for no reason that I can tell. It is probably just a sign of aging, but I am deciding whether it warrants a vet visit or not.

yeah its hard to exactly know when to act on taking them to the vets Kavik with any different behaviours thats started happening..

It well could be a part of them ageing ....

With Renae is her excessive needing food all hours of the night that is not normal either.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Grumpy thinks the majority of my our queen size bed is the best place for him. I'm lucky if I get a couple of inches ...

yeah its hard to exactly know when to act on taking them to the vets Kavik with any different behaviours thats started happening..

With Renae is her excessive needing food all hours of the night that is not normal either.

Poor baby :cry: . It could be the medication as well upsetting her tummy. I know from past experience (and bitter regret), that it is best to go to the vet than to not, when a behaviour is of concern. As a vet once said to me: the owner knows the dog better than anyone and if they think there is someone not right, then that is probably the case. It might be anything from "nothing to worry about" to life threatening. Best to go to the vet.

With your dog who is barking, Kavik, my Danny starting growling some time ago. He sleeps on my bed and growls if I or any of the other dogs move; he growls when any of the other dogs jump up onto the bed or jump off. He gets so bad sometimes, that I have to put the light on and give him a good shake to bring him out of it. And then he looks at me as though he is saying, "Huh, what's up?" I have put it down to old age, because blood tests and examinations haven't shown anything.

He is also barking more often - at birds, at people passing by (he can't get to the front fence though) and generally if anything disturbs him.

Edited by Danny's Darling

Joey often get the spooks at night especially and will yap (and on the rare occasion howl) at nothing lol

When Renae started going deaf, she started barking bit more too, as they say their senses are often heightened ? So maybe that could be a reason for some dogs who haven't been big barkers in the past ?

I will be taking her back to the vets in 6 weeks to get re tested, and if she's still acting strange, I will tell them about it. It seemed to start happening after she had that U/S. She's had U/S's in the past when she had her 2 litters, so it wouldn't have been a new experience for her.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Poor baby :cry: . It could be the medication as well upsetting her tummy. I know from past experience (and bitter regret), that it is best to go to the vet than to not, when a behaviour is of concern. As a vet once said to me: the owner knows the dog better than anyone and if they think there is someone not right, then that is probably the case. It might be anything from "nothing to worry about" to life threatening. Best to go to the vet.

Yes I tend to err on the side of caution and will take mine to the vet if I suspect anything is wrong, or different. Sometimes it turns out to be nothing to worry about, but I'm always glad I went.

Only you know your dog though. :)