Just When I Thought I'd Heard It All

Iggyrescue got an email today from someone looking for an Italian greyhound to breed to her whippet! Apparently she had an IG/whippet cross in the last who was a wonderful dog and she wants to reproduce this breed mix.

Who contacts rescue asking for a dog to breed to a different breed with????

Iggyrescue got an email today from someone looking for an Italian greyhound to breed to her whippet! Apparently she had an IG/whippet cross in the last who was a wonderful dog and she wants to reproduce this breed mix.

Unfortunately we've had a few ........especially a for purebred border collie pup I had recently ............(.ours are desexed at ten weeks before adoption ) .......then they had the cheek to say we were depriving the pup of a wonderful home :-/

I once had a person call up GAP and ask for a male greyhound to borrow to breed with his whippet. He was in a wheelchair and wanted to breed an assistance dog.

I explained very nicely why it wouldn't be a good idea but he kept arguing. He had a bullshit answer for everything. He was so ignorant and didn't want to listen.

After I got off the phone, he then called the greyhound racing authority phone number. I was next to the phone and so I answered it. It was him again, asking for the names of racing greyhound stud dogs and the contacts details for the stud owners.

I won't tell you what I said to the man but it was quite short and insulting before I hung up the phone on him.

Ah, don't worry rescuers, Kylie lobbed this one to me. I rang the person and gave them a good explanation of why they shouldn't do it. The sad thing is, they are absolutely resolute. I've since sent them an email with 10 reasons why not to breed, some of which I'd already gone through with them ....

Sadly for me I went through the same scenario only last Saturday night, another very ignorant person who also won't stop.

What to do with morons? :mad

I promise it wasn't me!! :laugh: My first whippet I now believe was an IG whippet cross and she was indeed a wonderful dog but I dont encourage people to cross breed.

I'm not a rescue but I've had a few people who were given my number over the years asking for/if I knew of any undesexed dogs. I had one lady call me up asking for an entire male rott to put to her GSD, even to borrow just for service. I told her that I didn't know of any rotties needing to be rehomed but informed her that she wasn't going to get much luck as cross breeding is frowned upon. She told me that she had one and they're the best dogs and I managed to convince her to call a few big dog rescues that would most likely have a cross of those breeds but I still think she wanted to breed. A lot of people just make up an excuse because they like the idea of puppies, they don't realise the cost involved, not only monetary but the life of the pups they produce as well. :mad

I have had conversations with people ,about Chopper, they have commenteds on how good he is and good looking dog , we have had a conversation about how he is a rescue dog, then they have come to the reason they approach, they wanted to breed with him :mad I would have a lil convo about breeding willy nilly, whihc would usually go in one ear and out the other . i would then end the convo with "my rescued dog will not produce more rescue dogs "and walk away

Sigh... I never understand this sort of thing...I foster for rescue and have bought beautiful dogs from a breeder but there is no way I would just breed 2 random dogs..No health history or pedigree...no garentees of what pops out is even what you want with X's. I see some strange crosses on gumtree like Merema x Kelpies and Kelpie x Greyhounds and wonder who on earth is going to want that dog :( No one thinks about what happens to all the puppies you cant keep :( Then they call a recue and say come get 'em cause we don't want em! ...Sigh...You can only try educate people but they wont always listen :(

A few years ago I had my cattle dog out with me before he was desexed. A guy stopped me and admired him and said he had a female at home and was I interested in breeding them. He clearly intimated that along with the dog romance he was offering a bit of human to human interaction too! It cracked me up, but I politely declined both offers.

A few years ago I had my cattle dog out with me before he was desexed. A guy stopped me and admired him and said he had a female at home and was I interested in breeding them. He clearly intimated that along with the dog romance he was offering a bit of human to human interaction too! It cracked me up, but I politely declined both offers.

But it would have been just like 101 dalmatians, except that 101 Cattle Dogs sounds like enough to do anyone's head in!! (Not that 101 Dalmatians would be any less work :laugh: )