Wth? That's Not An Aussie Shepherd!

Ker

I was in a pet store yesterday (I did not buy anything) and noticed some pups at the back. I went to have a nosy (as you do) and there were 5 in there, listed on the sign as Aussie Shepherds. I said to my sister "they are NOT aussies!!"

I took a sneaky pic. Anyone who knows Aussies well...what do you think? I want to complain to the Office of Fair Trading because it's misleading and false.

Petshop.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not that small. Size might be about right for a kelpie pup. They are bigger than my fullgrown 5kg Maltese. They're supposedly 8 weeks. Funny, I thought they were shepherd X. My sister said "maybe they're shepherds born in Australia" :laugh: I didn't think they were Aussies! They look nothing like the ones I've seen.

I've called Office of Fair Trading and it definitely falls under misleading, so I'm filling out a complaint form.

I also called the RSPCA about them, as they had 6 rabbits and a guinea pig in a 2 foot by one foot glass fronted enclosure. The poor things were crammed in and they said that's definitely outside allowable limits. Don't hold out too much hope for them, but hopefully something will be done.

Good on you for acting on Ker :thumbsup:

Like others have said, I reckon someone has made up a "breed" name for a cross, maybe not realising it's an actual breed.

How annoying that there are going to be people out there saying they have an Aussie Shepherd when they have one of those pups :( No wonder people often think Aussie's are not pure breeds.

Like others have said, I reckon someone has made up a "breed" name for a cross, maybe not realising it's an actual breed.

How annoying that there are going to be people out there saying they have an Aussie Shepherd when they have one of those pups :( No wonder people often think Aussie's are not pure breeds.

Talking about made-up breed names, my local pet shop has Tibetan Speagles for sale for Christmas :eek:

Talking about made-up breed names, my local pet shop has Tibetan Speagles for sale for Christmas :eek:

Ah, the very rare Tibetan Speagles - they're eagles from Tibet with feathers like spaniels I believe. Lovely species, increasingly endangered in the wild of course due to the demise of their primary food source - the extremely rare Black Maltese Terrier.

I wouldn't be surprised if they where German Shepherd x's. I was looking for an Aussie shepherd book in the library the other day, and I got 'Oh are they Australian bred German shepherds?' I've heard that multiple times actually.

:( Someone at the park yesterday told me they saw Aussies in the Pet shop... I wonder if they meant these ones..

Surely there couldn't be another lot?

I hope not, but trying to remember what he said I think he said they were advertised as Aussie's crossed with something. I'll have to ask him next time I see him.. icon_smile_mad.gif

Absolutely, annoys the crap out of me. I've had people tell me they've got all sorts of breeds and I can see immediately it's a crossbreed.

A couple of years ago PAWS got a call from someone wanting to surrender a Chihuahua puppy - it was purebred they said, bought from a Hornsby pet shop. A present for their daughter who was going overseas (WTF??). They had the dog for 2 weeks and then daughter went so wanted to get rid of it. It was being kept outside in the meantime they said. We were soooo worried about a tiny Chi pup being outside in winter. Imagine our surprise when they were wheeling this huge puppy in a shopping trolley - it was a kelpie cross ...

Edited by dogmad

:eek: omg dogmad!! It almost makes me giggle, imagining them saying to people look at our lovely chihuahua puppy as they point to a kelpie... Trouble is it's actually really sad that people are being sold these dogs that are blatantly not what they are sold as and people buying them don't know any better :(