Dogs & Homeless People

samoyedman

Wonderful, heart warming story :thumbsup: What a great job the RSPCA are doing to help these poor people & their beloved dogs when they have been a bit down on their luck. Some people just need a leg up

& they can get back on track again & some just want to be with their dog & pretty much left alone. That's OK too as long as the animal is being cared for.

Thanks for sharing samoyedman :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Great report, brought tears to my eyes. Lovely for the owners, who don't have to surrender their dogs to an unknown fate. Hoping this program will expand and save a lot of dog's lives. Beaut looking cattle/X breed dog, too. Thanks for sharing!!

Pacers have been doing that for ages.

Sorry, but the RSPCA are only interested in this to get more donations through the publicity.

Yep we have but Pacers is no longer operating after the 31st of December 2012 so Im glad someone is covering at least some of it.

Sorry, but the RSPCA are only interested in this to get more donations through the publicity.

Yep we have but Pacers is no longer operating after the 31st of December 2012 so Im glad someone is covering at least some of it.

Why is that? Come to think of it I've heard nothing on the email or FB about it :confused:

Why is that? Come to think of it I've heard nothing on the email or FB about it :confused:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/243657-mdba-pacers/page__p__6025696__fromsearch__1#entry6025696

Damned if they do

Damned if they don't.

Sad.

Edited by jerry lee

I was looking for this thread and so did a search on DOL, and found that this program was discussed here well over a year ago. So Living Ruff has been going for a while, but untilI saw this program on the ABC the other day, I didn't know about it either.

Anyway, because there is a house for lease in the next street where there have always been dogs owned by the various renters, I emailed the information to the Living Ruff program.

This morning, I received a response to my email, so it seems to me that they are certainly on the ball with checking out emails and acting on information given.

I have long been a critic of the RSPCA, but there has to be some gold amongst the dross :thumbsup: . Credit where credit is due. Even if they help one or two people and their pets, that is enough for me.

Just lovely. So many good people in it... those helping and those being helped who love their dogs so much. And the beautiful dogs!

Such a program has been going on in Brisbane for some time now. Also a collaboration between a charity group & the RSPCA. They have gatherings regularly where vets check the dogs (& cats) & health-care products and pet food are handed out. DD's right, that was in a DOL thread some time back.

The Brisbane charity is called Footprints and the pet support component (with RSPCA) is called Pawprints. It also provides pet support for vulnerable people, like the disabled and elderly, who are in accommodation.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/paw-fect-match-for-the-lonely-and-disabled/story-fn6ck45n-1226347196984

Edited by mita

Hi there,

This is not intended as self-promotion :-) but I thought some of you might be interested in a feature story about homeless and their pets that we also ran in The Age newspaper last Saturday. The issue is getting more media coverage and hopefully the increasing awareness will help welfare groups continue to improve the situation for all.

Here is the link if you are interested ...

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/friends-indeed-when-life-goes-off-the-rails-20121207-2b12m.html

Thank you for your time

Stathi

Not self-promotion at all! Good on The Age for promoting a great need that's just as much about the welfare of humans as it is about the welfare of animals.

The reporting is excellent.... so many good examples are given and so much backing from those managing welfare areas. The photos are a joy. People who are so down on their luck but looking so happy with their pets. And the much-loved pets are beaming!

I hope The Age follows up soon with some good news that Jack & his 'dad' have found a solution. 9yr old Jack is gorgeous, BTW.

Not sure how i missed this thread the other day! Coincidently i was trying to look for information on assistance with pets for homeless people and found this thread.

In a related matter, is anyone aware of any services/vets/shelters that provide free/cheap vet care or assistance to homeless people in Melbourne? I work in the youth homelessness sector and this is something that unfortunately comes up on a regular basis!

Additionally I work with alot of young people in the prison system and it is near impossible finding homes for their pets when they get locked up. And as i'm sure others have mentioned, sometimes their pets are the only positive thing they have in their lives!

is anyone aware of any services/vets/shelters that provide free/cheap vet care or assistance to homeless people in Melbourne? I work in the youth homelessness sector and this is something that unfortunately comes up on a regular basis!

Additionally I work with alot of young people in the prison system and it is near impossible finding homes for their pets when they get locked up. And as i'm sure others have mentioned, sometimes their pets are the only positive thing they have in their lives!

Maybe not precisely what you're looking for but Lort Smith Animal Hospital has various community programs. One is fostering of dogs by prisoners. There's an off-chance they may have information about anyone helping in the general area. Contact details on their website:

http://www.lortsmith.com/community-outreach.html