Good Cat Forums - I Need Some Help N/d

BDJ

:( sorry guys - I kow this is a dog forum, but I have a cat problem and was hoping for suggestions on a good cat forum (tried googling, but the ones I found did not seem very busy and were quite 'fluffy' (no pun intended) in subject matter.

My problem is with my 4yo male. I have 3 cats, all desexed boys. The 4yo sprays in the house. He is litter trained, healthy (vet checked) and will use the tray - but sprays like a tom. It is getting worse, to the point where the house smells.

I know what causes it (sort of) - he is extremely jeleous and does it to mark his territory, and especially when not happy about the attention anyone else is getting, or if another cat gets in his face when he wants to do something else (eg : if I am talking to him and another cat comes up, he will get cranky. If he is playing with his toy and the other cat comes up to join in - cranky again).

One of the other cats is very in your face - a beautiful boy, but very full on to both humans and animals.

The spraying is getting worse and I am at my wits end. I wont place him out (no guarantee that he wont do it somewhere else, I dont think he is the type to settle anywhere, and who would want an adult black cat (he is an ebony oriental - so purebred to those that know, but 'just' a black cat to most people).

Does anyone have any ideas? A stinky house is not acceptable, no where is safe, so restricting his access is pointless (and dont believe in keeping him locked in a small space), yet the only alternative I can see is way too drastic.

I have a beautiful, friendly, affectionate cat who is causing a massive problem. The smell is getting more powerful (and if I can smell it, imagine what an outsider would notice)

Would appreciate any suggestions - either from here directly, or a forum where others may have ideas.

FWIW - he is an inside cat, desexed, vet and breeder cant suggest anything except that some cats are like that :(

What have you tried to stop it? Feliway is often helpful but you also need to retrain him. Is he an indoor cat? When was he desexed? Very occasionally vets can 'miss a bit' and this can cause excessive spraying. Rehoming him to an only-cat house might stop him spraying, and lots of people are willing to adopt adult cats. :)

The best cat forum I've found is www.cat-world.com.au/forums

The oriental types (Burms, Siam, Orients) can be a bit more anxious and don't always cope well in a multi-cat household. I know one of my Burmese girls doesn't cope with foster kits very well even though she never sees them.

Make sure you clean the house properly using an ultra violet light and something like Urine Off. I can understand you don't want to confine him but would you consider a well sheltered outdoor run? Also, have you tried anti-anxiety drugs at all? Might help identify whether this is the motivation and perhaps assist long term. There are a couple of studies that suggest Feliway might help and certainly a number of anecdotal reports that it helps in multi cat households. Use the diffusers but ensure you use sufficient for the area.

I would suggest a multi-pronged approach. I hope that's of help for a start.

ETA: Try teaching him a few behaviours or tricks that are incompatible with reacting to the other cats. What makes him tick? Food? Attention? Toys? Use those as rewards eg teach him to sit or climb up on the scratching post. I taught my old Burm to sit stay on a chair using allorubbing as a reward!!!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

thanks guys

To answer a couple of questions -

he was desexed at a young age (cant remember exactly, I think about 4-5 months (it wasnt before I bought him home, but not that long after).

He is an indoor cat. He goes outside for an hour or so on the weekend when I am home to watch him, but he would wander in an instant if I let him (and he is not brave, as much as he wants to be a big, brave cat, the thought of a noise would have him running blind.

I haven't tried that spray (sorry, cant see the name now that I am answering), I will check it out at the vets.

The vet did blood tests, but I think they were more health than hormone (ie : kidney function etc)

I dont know if I could place him out. I hear so many things about animals that end up in shelters etc, or people that think they know and let them outside etc. (and yes as I write this I realise I sound like one of those people who over protect etc. I really am not. I have had inside/outside cats etc, but Emmerson is not like that. My household is quiet and he has led a sheltered life. He is not overconfident with strangers and strange situations send him in to a panic. If the doorbell rings the only think you hear is him skidding up the passage - you dont even see the flash :laugh: . He is fine with those he knows, but not outside his comfort zone). I could not bear to think of him frightened and hiding (which would happen if let outside unattended).

Does anyone know of a good cleaner? I have heard that something with oxygen is good, but the vet didnt have anything specific and the local petshop was quite useless. I hope that if I find siomething to break the sequence, and remove the smell it might work

(plesae excuse any typos - the boy in question is currently laying on my arms and making typing quite a challenge :-) )

ta

I can relate to your problem,I had a young male who sprayed each spring.A solution occured but not the one I wanted. Anyway I used phenyl( now called wheelie bin cleaner) to rid the dreadful odour. It was the only thing I found powerful enough.

I have a male desexed iinside cat who does it only once a year when the neighbours cat and other strays hang around our house :mad I was going get him checked over by the vet in case it was something medical (altho i didn't think it was) but then a friend told me the same thing happens to hers once a year.

Hes been fine until a couple a couple weeks ago when it started again, but luckily it was only 2 occasions this time and it was on a bath towel we left on the floor.

We have a desexed female cat as well, but she's no problem. She spends most days out in her cat run anyway. The other one prefers being inside.

Luckily we have tiles, so they are easy to bleach/disinfect to keep house smelling ok. it would be terrible if we had carpet ! we just have to remember at this time of the year not to leave anything on the floor eg bath towels (which we chuck out if they have been sprayed on)

Its annoying isn't it !

Ive used Rescue Remedy in the past on him when we first got him as he fretted badly, can't say it was overly successful .. Im not sure if Fellaway would be more effective? Ive never used it.

Not sure what else to suggest. Im lucky its just a seasonal thing in our situation.

ps Bicarb soda and Nilodor are both ideal for absorbing smells.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

It does sound like a case of an anxious cat not coping :( I have used the Feliway diffusers successfully, although my anxious one is not as severe as what yours sound like. Poor boy!

For cat urine, Urine-Off is the best I've found, or you can use BioZet laundry powder. It's the enzymes that are important, they break down the urea crystals which otherwise stay embedded in the surface or fabric and continue to cause smell. Urine will soak into grout, tiles and the cracks between floorboards, so mopping is not enough.

It does sound like a case of an anxious cat not coping :( I have used the Feliway diffusers successfully, although my anxious one is not as severe as what yours sound like. Poor boy!

For cat urine, Urine-Off is the best I've found, or you can use BioZet laundry powder. It's the enzymes that are important, they break down the urea crystals which otherwise stay embedded in the surface or fabric and continue to cause smell. Urine will soak into grout, tiles and the cracks between floorboards, so mopping is not enough.

Yeah thats what I ended up buying as well, as was recommended to me when i was asking for advice at the time :)