Breeds We Saw Today - 23 Different Pure Breeds!

Simply Grand

This afternoon at the dog park was a little unusual in that there was such a range of pure breeds there!

Including mine, in the couple of hours we were there we saw:

Aussie Shepherd

Shetland Sheepdog

GSP

Labrador

Rottweiler

Italian Greyhound

Dachshund

Boston Terrier

Puli

German Shepherd

Weimaraner

Border Collie

Kelpie

Collie Rough

AmStaff

Great Dane

Standard Poodle

Malamute

Whippet

Mini Schnauzer

Cocker Spaniel

Boxer

Papillon

And of course there was the usual assortment of small, medium and large muttlies, "oodles", "staffies" and an Australian Bulldog (which I know isn't an official breed ATM).

So it was a fun and very interesting afternoon! And I just realised I should have taken some photos, oops.

Edited coz I remembered another one

Edited by Simply Grand

Belconnen dog park in Canberra. I really think we are lucky in Canberra with relatively sensible regulation and relatively sensible owners. We also have a big community of regulars on weekdays where dogs and humans know each other.

There is another Puli who is a regular visitor Sabath, so I know two, agree you don't see many!

Hawthorne Park Reserve at Leichhardt always has an interesting array - I have seen and talked to the owners of a bunch of Leonbergers, a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Pharoah Hound, French Bulldog and an Irish Terrier. Not all at once though! Dog parks are fun for breed spotting.

did you need to write them down to remember them all? that's impressive. I'm just trying to think of the regulars I see at our park. Most are xbreds but the peds I see would be

Whippets, (not just mine)

Weimaraner

GSD

White shepherd, not sure what its ped says

Labradors of all colours

Poodle (standard)

Greyhounds (GAP)

Italian Greyhounds

Cattle dogs

Kelpies

Staffords (cant remember their proper breed name)

Bull Terrier

Golden Retrievers

German shorthaired pointer

English pointer

NZ Huntaway (there's an unusual one for here)

Great Danes, very occasionally

Border collies

I'm sure there's more but I cant think of them right now. Your list for one day was very impressive!

ah! just remembered a few more

Airdale terrier

Irish terrier

Cairn terrier

Jack Russell terrier

West Highland Terrier

and

Patterdale terrier, which might not be recognised here.

some more

Rottweiler

Siberian Husky

Akita

Daschund

Beagle

and the most interesting dog I think I might have seen at the park, although was a cross, I picked it. A New Guinea Singing Dog!! The ladys daughter used to live in New Guinea and brought this beautiful dog back with her, now due to work constraints her dear Mum has taken the dog on. I saw her and commented on what an unusual looking dog it was. I said it looks perhaps like a basenji or dingo cross. As soon as she said where her daughter got it from I said the Singing Dog which looks much like a dingo, you can certainly see they're from the same origins anyway. She said I was the only person she'd met who knew of them, and she said they're extinct in the wild but all the local dogs look like hers so obviously it's been crossed with whatever is around. If I can arrange it I will take some photos of her, she is absolutely beautiful.

Edited by Kirislin

Hawthorne Park Reserve at Leichhardt always has an interesting array - I have seen and talked to the owners of a bunch of Leonbergers, a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Pharoah Hound, French Bulldog and an Irish Terrier. Not all at once though! Dog parks are fun for breed spotting.

There are a few regular GSP's and Vizsla's there too!

Though Frenchie's are the new black, they are everywhere :laugh:

I was walking on the Glebe side of Blackwattle Bay the other morning, and saw about 5 Great Danes out being walked, which I thought was a bizzare as it's mainly apartments and small terraces around there - and two or 2 of the Danes were puppies.

Edited by minimax

It's fun breed spotting and I love seeing breeds I've only seen pictures of in real life!

Kirislin I didn't actually write them down, I remembered by going through in my head what we did and who I talked to and picturing the dogs that were around at the time :laugh:

Other not so common ones I've seen at the park on various occasions are

Anatolian

Leonberger (there's a guy who owns one of each of these, they are the sweetest dogs and the Leonberger is only young, maybe 12 mths, and you can tell he thinks he's still little :laugh: )

Maremma

Borzoi

Cairn Terrier

Westie

Bull Terrier

Viszla

Newfoundland

Bernese Mountain Dog

Corgi

Bichon Frise

Do you know what I don't think I've ever seen? A pure Maltese. Soooo many crosses of them (including my own) but never a nice little white pure one.

Edited by Simply Grand

did you need to write them down to remember them all? that's impressive. I'm just trying to think of the regulars I see at our park. Most are xbreds but the peds I see would be

Whippets, (not just mine)

Weimaraner

GSD

White shepherd, not sure what its ped says

Labradors of all colours

Poodle (standard)

Greyhounds (GAP)

Italian Greyhounds

Cattle dogs

Kelpies

Staffords (cant remember their proper breed name)

Bull Terrier

Golden Retrievers

German shorthaired pointer

English pointer

NZ Huntaway (there's an unusual one for here)Great Danes, very occasionally

Border collies

I'm sure there's more but I cant think of them right now. Your list for one day was very impressive!

ah! just remembered a few more

Airdale terrier

Irish terrier

Cairn terrier

Jack Russell terrier

West Highland Terrier

and

Patterdale terrier, which might not be recognised here.

some more

Rottweiler

Siberian Husky

Akita

Daschund

Beagle

and the most interesting dog I think I might have seen at the park, although was a cross, I picked it. A New Guinea Singing Dog!! The ladys daughter used to live in New Guinea and brought this beautiful dog back with her, now due to work constraints her dear Mum has taken the dog on. I saw her and commented on what an unusual looking dog it was. I said it looks perhaps like a basenji or dingo cross. As soon as she said where her daughter got it from I said the Singing Dog which looks much like a dingo, you can certainly see they're from the same origins anyway. She said I was the only person she'd met who knew of them, and she said they're extinct in the wild but all the local dogs look like hers so obviously it's been crossed with whatever is around. If I can arrange it I will take some photos of her, she is absolutely beautiful.

Few NZ Huntaways around my area, two live in our court - two different families. Chesterfield Farm at Scoresby breeds them I believe.

I get so excited when I see pure bred dogs coming into my work (pet store)as mainly I see oodles. The ones I've only seen once or twice are

-an akita

-a dogue de bordeaux

-neopolitan mastiff

-tibetan mastiff x 2 (one newly imported)

-toller

-standard poodle

not a long list, but I see many others that are quite common. Today I saw my first red merle aussie shep which had me SUPER excited, love red merles. She was a working line dog, so her body shape wasn't like the pics of other aussies I've seen, but lovely colouring.

eta: and TWO OES!! Quite small under all that hair!

Edited by dotdashdot