Another One Bites The Dust

Steve

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what I would like to say but I would be hung and quartered on here for doing so, I blame part of this problem on the limited register good in theory bad in practice.

Limited register isn't to blame at all,why should dogs not worthy of being shown or breed be sold on mains.

No one breeds an entire litter of show dogs & a good breeder won't sell something they themselves wouldn't breed from or show on main either .

99% of our pups go on limited because people want pets.

Maltese area breed in show coat that requires dedication & lets be honest not many pet owners want to be dedicated to coat work & that is part & parcel of a show Malt .

The greater majority just want there clipped off pets

Guest crickets

Question - do you actually have to own the breed to join a breed club? You are suggesting letting cross bred dog owners join these breed clubs but really what is to stop them joining now?

I think anyone can join a breed club as long as they demonstrate good dog ownership & abide by club rules (and the rules of any club they are affiliated with I guess?)

I'd say what stops them is a sense that the pure bred dog world spins in a different hemisphere that they know nothing about. And by feeling that the pure bred dog world has nothing to offer them.

I know it's probably fantasy, but I really think encouraging people to participate & feel welcome with cross bred dogs in other ways than just competitive arenas such as neuter class & competitive dog sports would open up a whole new way of educating the average Jo dog owner to better the way they choose, train, groom, manage their dogs, Yes they might have a cross breed today, but by encouraging participation through the pure bred fraternity , tomorrow they are more likely to choose & support the pure bred. By keeping them at arms length that is exactly where the vast majority of dog owners will stay.

Edited by crickets

Question - do you actually have to own the breed to join a breed club? You are suggesting letting cross bred dog owners join these breed clubs but really what is to stop them joining now?

I think anyone can join a breed club as long as they demonstrate good dog ownership & abide by club rules (and the rules of any club they are affiliated with I guess?)

I'd say what stops them is a sense that the pure bred dog world spins in a different hemisphere that they know nothing about. And by feeling that the pure bred dog world has nothing to offer them.

I know it's probably fantasy, but I really think encouraging people to participate & feel welcome with cross bred dogs in other ways than just competitive arenas such as neuter class & competitive dog sports would open up a whole new way of educating the average Jo dog owner to better the way they choose, train, groom, manage their dogs, Yes they might have a cross breed today, but by encouraging participation through the pure bred fraternity , tomorrow they are more likely to choose & support the pure bred. By keeping them at arms length that is exactly where the vast majority of dog owners will stay.

I had a couple of goes at being in a breed club - even though I believe they are necessary Id rather do most other things than ever go there again. Big politics and its where you see some of the worst of the dog world. - not for me.

I had a couple of goes at being in a breed club - even though I believe they are necessary Id rather do most other things than ever go there again. Big politics and its where you see some of the worst of the dog world. - not for me.

That hasn't been my experience Steve.

Crickets

If crossbred owners take their dogs to any of the ANKC affilidated dog training clubs around Australia, they'll get such exposure. Breed clubs also roll up at Pet Expos, council dogs day outs etc.

What needs to change IMO is the attitude that dog ownership is a right, that having a dog as a back yard ornament that you simply feed once a day is just fine and that you can buy one today in a retail or internet exchange just like any other. The explosion of puppy farmed and BYB dogs (purebreds are also caught up in this) is fueled by ignorance and driven by profit.

As your average family has bought into the "desex your pet" message, obtaining a dog from a litter of a family pet of a family friend is pretty much gone. That's left hobby breeders and the profit breeders left to fill the hole. No surprise that the larger operations and those for whom profit is the primary motivation have filled most of the gap, assisited by the likes of Mr Burke spruking his hybrid vigour rubbish for his own personal agenda. The idea that you only go to an ANKC breeder for a "show dog" didn't come out of nowhere and the idea that pedigree dogs are "unhealthy" didn't either.

And while some animal welfare groups promote the "don't breed or buy while pound dogs die" line, and rescuers steer every puppy or 'what breed for me' enquiry towards a pound or rescue group, responsible purebred dog breeders will continue to remain in the crosshairs of restrictive legsislation and be left out of consideration as the first place to source a dog. Frankly I think limits on dog numbers and the patently ridiculous conditions some councils place on breeders is significant disincentive to anyone to responsibly breed dogs. What sort of decent Maltese breeder is going to keep their dogs in outdoor concrete runs year round?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Guest crickets

I don't think many of the pet owners that are members of affiliated trianing clubs even know that there is an affiliation, or what that means.

Ask the average mum or dad or first time dog owner down at the local club about the ANKC I bet they'd say 'what, who?' . This is what I'd like to see change. If the pure breed dog fraternity want people to take more interest in them, they need more people to know who they are. While the dog world is divided into 'us & them' well that is the way it will stay.

My ideas aren't unique, and they aren't going to be the only way forward, but unless new thinking is at least thought about & discussed, there is no new horizon.

And yes regarding the right of dog ownership, I agree entirely....but what better place to educate ordinary folk by encouraging them into the world of purebreed dogs. But they need to feel like they belong there and that there is something on offer for them. Lets face it, would any of us want to join an organisation that didn't want us to bring our pedigree dogs along?

Edited by crickets

I don't think many of the pet owners that are members of affiliated trianing clubs even know that there is an affiliation, or what that means.

Ask the average mum or dad or first time dog owner down at the local club about the ANKC I bet they'd say 'what, who?' . This is what I'd like to see change. If the pure breed dog fraternity want people to take more interest in them, they need more people to know who they are. While the dog world is divided into 'us & them' well that is the way it will stay.

My ideas aren't unique, and they aren't going to be the only way forward, but unless new thinking is at least thought about & discussed, there is no new horizon.

That is true. From my experience at a shelter, the general public see purebred dogs as being out of their league, unaccessible. That's why they go to a pet shop or BYB.

JerryLee, we get that you are a terrier fan, but you need to accept that all breeds/types have pros & cons.

Terriers have very forceful personalities that require a certain kind of owner or problems can develop.

My next door have a Maltese. It's a real PITA. Cute as a button & one of the most vicious dogs I know.

Bad combo that seems quite common for the breed. Possibly why they aren't as common as they used to be.

I can see how non terrier people would think that. Terriers are fiesty. That is what makes them terriers. Which appeals to those who want a sturdy little dog with a bit of get up & go

However, I was interested as to why Sheridan thinks as she does.

There appears to be a lot of negativity about Sheridans posts.

& a comment for comments sake.

Maltese aren't terriers.

Just for anyone who may have been wondering.

That is true. From my experience at a shelter, the general public see purebred dogs as being out of their league, unaccessible. That's why they go to a pet shop or BYB.

And sometimes they see purebred dog breeders as having no right to question their fitness for puppy ownership, or they don't want to wait. So off to the Trading Post or Gumtree or the pet shop they go.

Given that the existing number of ANKC breeders don't have any problem placing the pups they breed, what's the point in generating demand for pups that simply don't exist? Breeders aren't fading away because they can't sell their pups.

Maybe we need to encourage those breeding responsibly to keep doing it before we ramp up demand. Imposing legislation that treats them identically to puppy farmers ain't the way to go from where I sit.

They don't need to. They'll still be exposed to purebred dogs and the people who own and breed them.

Big politics and its where you see some of the worst of the dog world. - not for me.

Please don't generalise Steve, a lot of breed clubs do their very best for their members. Even though we are a minority breed we run a very successful club and have a large membership. Not all breed clubs are the same, the fact that you had a negative experience with one club doesn't give you the right to tar all clubs with the same brush.

Edited by Miranda

So, there were 299 registrations of maltese in 2011.

My breed registrations in 2011:

• kerry blue terriers - 50
  • wheaten terriers - 70

And there were breeds with far fewer registrations. A breed club makes no difference at all to increasing registrations.

I agree with Crickets. A breed club offers little to the pet owner as it's all about showing. You can do that without a breed club.

Edited by Sheridan

A breed club offers little to the pet owner as it's all about showing. You can do that without a breed club.

Sheridan you should get a Gordon Setter :), we do a lot for our pet owners, a grooming and fun day, a field trial training day/BBQ and a winter walk in one of our local parks. We also run an obedience trial, we are definitely NOT 'all about showing'.

A breed club offers little to the pet owner as it's all about showing. You can do that without a breed club.

Sheridan you should get a Gordon Setter :), we do a lot for our pet owners, a grooming and fun day, a field trial training day/BBQ and a winter walk in one of our local parks. We also run an obedience trial, we are definitely NOT 'all about showing'.

Thanks Miranda, I do love the Gordons. They even have enough coat for me! Possibly not crazy enough ... ;)

Off Topic a little, but I am amazed that if this Club is the LAST Maltese Club in Australia to be ending, how is there not enough NATIONAL interest in maintaining just one club?

I know with my breed, many owners are members of more than one state breed club, or are simply members of a breed club not in their state.

If members of former clubs joined/remained members of this one last breed club, surely there would be enough members for the club to carry on?

At least then, there could be an annual Specialty Ch Show etc for members to attend, regardless of the state in which they reside.....

Edited by jerojath

• wheaten terriers - 70

And there were breeds with far fewer registrations. A breed club makes no difference at all to increasing registrations.

I agree with Crickets. A breed club offers little to the pet owner as it's all about showing. You can do that without a breed club.

Whippet Club of Victoria has fun days, racing days and recently had a comp day with fun classes. Hats off to them!

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I agree that Breed Clubs are all about competition, but not necessarily about conformation showing....

Many breed clubs try hard to cater for the 'pet owner' too, with fun days and get-togethers. These are a great opportunity to encourage owners to become competitive with their companions....

• wheaten terriers - 70

Thats scarey. So few of the general public are even aware of the huge variety of choice they have in pedigree dogs,and wouldn't have a clue what a wheaten or Kerry Blue is.I was rapt to see pics on DOL not long ago of a some ones Lakeland...I'd forgotten them,though they were a favourite when I was younger.Made my day :)