Quarintine

pirate

I had my very large parcel opened here in QLD by customs to check contents as Clean run simply wrote on declaration "dog products" while nothing in parcel was food or organic mostly books, gazebo mat (possibly thought to be woven from organic fibre when actually plastic material but shows up on scanning as similar to fibre), collars, DVD etc, the custom dog had a "problem" with the parcel because obviously it had come from a dog based comapnay and possibly smelt doggie. so I contacted clean run and informed them that when filling out the declaration for products sent to OZ they needed to be a bit more specific, listing things like books/toys/ DVd etc not just a blanket word as "dog products"

As for all the medicinal type products these pretty much go with out saying if not sold in Oz and cleared by our therapeautic goods administration they will not be allowed in, I have sourced items that have been advertised over in USA & Canada which simply have different name in Australia but essentially same product and that is most frustrating part as that enzyme powder is probably available in health food shops just different name and label and has been irradiated pre entry to Oz. Problem came about with many of these type products due to anabolic steroids coming in as supposedly horse and dog supplements :rofl: and only livestock actually getting them were 2 legged kind.

There's also the licensing and distribution issue.

For example

in Australia you will pay $15-20 per tablet for a Praziquantel based all wormer to treat 20 kilograms -

the same tablet can be bought overseas for approx $1.

If you send these all wormer tablets to Australia by mail, customs will not let them through.

It's nothing to do with the product contents

but licensing / protection of Australian prices.

(You get ripped off for worm tablets in Australia - they hike the price because they can :))

Incidentally you can legally bring the tablets into Australia on your person.

Edited by lilli

For example

in Australia you will pay $15-20 per tablet for a Praziquantel based all wormer to treat 20 kilograms -

If you send these all wormer tablets to Australia by mail, customs will not let them through.

(You get ripped off for worm tablets in Australia - they hike the price because they can :))

Can you please refer us to this law. I thought that type of trade restraint was illegal.

For example

Can you please refer us to this law. I thought that type of trade restraint was illegal.

I currently pay about $1-2 a tablet for 10kg+ praziquantel tablets so if that law does exist, it's a bit pointless.

zeebie wrote

I had my very large parcel opened here in QLD by customs to check contents as Clean run simply wrote on declaration "dog products" while nothing in parcel was food or organic mostly books, gazebo mat (possibly thought to be woven from organic fibre when actually plastic material but shows up on scanning as similar to fibre), collars, DVD etc, the custom dog had a "problem" with the parcel because obviously it had come from a dog based comapnay and possibly smelt doggie. so I contacted clean run and informed them that when filling out the declaration for products sent to OZ they needed to be a bit more specific, listing things like books/toys/ DVd etc not just a blanket word as "dog products"

Sometimes I think it's random. I've had 3 CR parcels in the last couple of months - one opened by Quarantine - it had a lot of the foam balls (toys oon the free shipping list) that did smell very strong. No problems - they'd just opened it for a look. The other 2 parcels - also toys of various sorts - no problems. Over the years I think I've only had 2 CR parcels checked - out of .... ummmm ... quite a lot :laugh: That said, I don't buy food or medicinal products.

• 3 weeks later...

For example

The product is not for sale to Australian retail customers because the specific product it is not approved by the APVMA

http://www.apvma.gov.au/about/contact/index.php

Veterinary and agricultural products can not enter the Australian market place, even if the product is developed & manufactured in Australia, at an APVMA approved facility, and the same product is sold under a different tradename.

It is trade restraint, presented as 'government approved' protection, of course

:)

Edited by lilli

I get parcels from overseas all the time, mostly from my family in Germany.

They usually contain books, food items and lollies and such and over the years we have learnt which ones are ok (powdered herbs & spices in original packaging and such as well as gummy bear type stuff).

So this one time, I receive an almost empty parcel (they pretty much always open them and put one of the "this package has been inspected by customs" cards in) with a letter listing the things they took out and why.... Obviously I just said "pheh, destroy it" but never before or since then have we had those exact same items removed? It was wierd, to say the least. My mother and I quietly suspect that the customs officer took the herbs and spices home for themselves ;)

Edited by BlackJaq