Getting A Pup

spyda62

8 years ago I decide I would like to get a pup. I narrowed my choice down to 2 breeds (1 of which I had previously had)

I contacted numerous breeders but kept getting knocked back. I felt I was treated badly at the time.

After 6 months of trying I got despondent and one day while out shopping, brought a pup on impulse from a pet shop.

Seven and a half years later, I still have that pup, but she is getting old and is developing quite a few health issues. It is now time for me to start planning another pup for the future.

I have given myself a 2 year time frame to work within. A few months ago, I started emailing breeders of my chosen breed. I have not recieved even 1 reply to any of my emails :(

Over the years I have read all the threads on here of what breeders want from prospective pup owners. I really thought that I was fulfilling the criterior

My question is...what am I doing wrong? Please help...I dont want in 2 years time to be coming home from the pet shop with another impulse buy pup.

All of what Aussie 3 said, maybe if you give the specific breed you are looking for in the future I am sure that there are breeders of them here on DOL, now would be the time to start a rapor with them so as they can get to know you more, maybe having started this thread it will help to break the ice, so to speak.

I wish you all the very best.

What breed are you after? What sort of home are you offering? There are some facets of particular breeds where some answers will get you turned down flat. No excuse for not responding though unless your emails are being sent to the spam folder straight off

What is the title of your email? Something like "how much are your pups?" Won't entice breeders to read on.

I hear you and had exactly the same when i was looking for my BT.

I sent long emails, their choice of contact, about my experience with the breed ( have owned 3 ), my home, lifestyle etc.

Out of the 3 kennels whose dogs i liked not one replied. :(

it wasn't till a doler in the bully thread put me in touch with a breeder in vic that i found my girl, and still jumped through many hoops, pics of my place, several phone calls, in fact they said they would have to think about sending her interstate and would get back to me. It was only when i got offered another one that they said i could have her.

Whats interesting is often at the fundays since i have seen dogs looking for new homes after their showing is over, if i had gone there first i may have found one more easily.

Does your breed have a funday you could go to and meet people?

I want a Bernese Mountain dog.

I always start my emails by introducing myself and telling the breeders about our lifestyle. I have never mentioned price in any of the emails.

I have not followed up any of my emails.

8 years ago, I wanted either a St Bernard or a Bernese Mountain dog. In the St breeders defence, I probably hadnt researched the breed well enough? The Bernese breeders knocked me back because I had one in the past, that died from a snake bite when she was 2 years old.

My emails I have sent have been quite lengthy and I wonder if that has put the breeders off, but I thought that is what breeders wanted, plenty of info?

My question is...what am I doing wrong? Please help...I dont want in 2 years time to be coming home from the pet shop with another impulse buy pup.

The ony way you will come home with a pet shop puppy is if you go in and buy one.

Depending on the breed it may take longer then 2 years.

What breeds are you interested in? Did you follow up your emails with phone calls?

I see there are 3 breed clubs for Bernese, have you tried joining one or all of them?

No...I did not realise there were 3. I only knew of the Perth club.

I looked up the breed on the Dogzonline home page. There is a 14 month old available to the right home.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/community/bernese-mountain-dog.asp

Thanks for that Rebanne, but I want a young pup, also it is still too soon for me to get another dog. Just thought after my last experience that I would start looking earlier.

I was about to meantion the 14 month old one.Anyway Spyda62 hop on the phone and ring the breeders and introduce yourself ,ask questions and and answer theirs.

you can follow up with emails after that.start with the closest and work out from there.Good Luck.

I was about to meantion the 14 month old one.Anyway Spyda62 hop on the phone and ring the breeders and introduce yourself ,ask questions and and answer theirs.

you can follow up with emails after that.start with the closest and work out from there.Good Luck.

Thanks Purdie

If you didn't hear back, why wouldn't you follow up with another email or phone call?

Probably beacuse I was a bit shocked at the lack of response and was not sure what to do next.

Maybe they didn't get it, Maybe they filed it away to reply later and forgot. Instead of taking it personally I'd be proactive and contact them again, or via a different method.

I've found the phone to be the most reliable way of contacting breeders. Sure, it takes courage to call, but I think you get a better feel for them and them for you if you call rather than email, though email is certainly easier as you can phrase exactly what you want to say.

You're also in the perfect position to start developing a lovely relationship with your chosen breeder too. As you don't want a pup for a year or two, start going out to dog shows and talking to people who breed and show Berners.

They are a lovely dog and I wish you all the best. Definitely follow up your emails because as others have said, they might be filed away in a "to reply to" folder.