Whingey Pup

dogmate

I have one pup wo after feeding is whinging just tonight im tiking hes still hungry as i put him back on mum and he sucked and went to sleep. They will be three weeks on friday so i assume its too early to start feeding him mush food is it a good idea to give him a top of of formula or jst put him back on mum its a bit weird its also hot tonight so have the fan on and wet their tummies in the afternoon. Is it an emergency call he does settle when i put him back on mum

He is still doi g it and i heard him two ti es in the night.

Could he be constipated? He has only has mums milk and i thought that woldnt make them constipated?

Ill try some mince id like to get some youghurt to but do nt have any and the shops are closed today public holiday. I dipped my finger in a bowl of milk and he did try to lick it off my finger the others are all quite content so i assume mum still has enough milk this whi gey one isnt even the biggest one but in terms of walking and eyes opening hes been the first so maybe hes ready for solids

a long shot but try burping him. I had to bottle raise some puppies once and one in particular used to cry (well scream actually) after being fed. I didn't know what to do but one time I picked him up and cuddled him to try to comfort him. I rubbed his back and he went buuuuurp! and immediately relaxed after that. I know yours isn't on the bottle but he still might be gulping, it costs nothing to give it a try anyway.

a long shot but try burping him. I had to bottle raise some puppies once and one in particular used to cry (well scream actually) after being fed. I didn't know what to do but one time I picked him up and cuddled him to try to comfort him. I rubbed his back and he went buuuuurp! and immediately relaxed after that. I know yours isn't on the bottle but he still might be gulping, it costs nothing to give it a try anyway.

I think you are right ????

I picked him up rubbed him and heard him burp. I have another one a bit whingey as well now i think mum needs to make more milk so i have shut the door to the room shes in and not letting the kids in to see the pups today only to give mum her lunch all quiet so might just need some time to relax and build up her supply as the babies are growing i remember my own kids doing that to me.

:thumbsup: I'm so happy I was able to help. I remember how distressed and helpless I felt watching him writhing and crying in pain at the time. I took him to the vet and she gave me colic medicine for him, but never suggested the simplest and most obvious thing to do. I only found out by accident.

we've started mush at about 3 weeks.. soaked bikkies mashed up and divetalac , our breeder suggested porridge made on puppy milk..

at 4 weeks old they're getting 4 meals a day and still sucking off mum when she lets them as the teeth are popping through slowly and it's obviously hurting..

we just leave the bowl down for them so they can pick as they choose but we change it for fresh food bout 4 times a day.. atm they get fed morning, mid morning, afternoon and then evening/night

we've started mush at about 3 weeks.. soaked bikkies mashed up and divetalac , our breeder suggested porridge made on puppy milk..

at 4 weeks old they're getting 4 meals a day and still sucking off mum when she lets them as the teeth are popping through slowly and it's obviously hurting..

we just leave the bowl down for them so they can pick as they choose but we change it for fresh food bout 4 times a day.. atm they get fed morning, mid morning, afternoon and then evening/night

Thanks i tried them on soaked biccies and divetalact and not much interest one boy licked it off my finger the others no interest think we will wait and try next weekend they will be three weeks then. I ave put a oool mat in one corner a couple have rested their heads on it. Just had a visit from a friend whose been a longtime breeder she said they are all ok and mum doesnt need to be with them as much so it was good to put my mind at rest she said they also start o vocalise a little bit as well just perimenting as long as its not on going they are fine. Thanks or all the support guys you never want o ush to ting the vet uneccesarily but also dont want o not go if need be and being new to having a litter i think i do panic at the drop of a hat....????

If the pup is gaining weight well and doesn't seem hungry, I always try to stimulate a bowel motion just in case. A good clear out sometimes helps.

Also as you mentioned he could be hot. Partially frozen hot water bottles wrapped in a pillow cases are great and the pups will fight over them :)

Thanks i tried them on soaked biccies and divetalact and not much interest one boy licked it off my finger the others no interest think we will wait and try next weekend they will be three weeks then. I ave put a oool mat in one corner a couple have rested their heads on it. Just had a visit from a friend whose been a longtime breeder she said they are all ok and mum doesnt need to be with them as much so it was good to put my mind at rest she said they also start o vocalise a little bit as well just perimenting as long as its not on going they are fine. Thanks or all the support guys you never want o ush to ting the vet uneccesarily but also dont want o not go if need be and being new to having a litter i think i do panic at the drop of a hat....????

I hear you lol! you've read our saga from the last few weeks lol! but I think we've got it! lol gave the pups some mashed potato and pumpkin on a plate next to their regular dinner and well it was like little kids and cake lol!! they sat in it and gutts it!! they'll let you know when they are ready for Big kid foods

My puppies get raw meat and divetelec powder at about 2.5 weeks, I then add Advance soaked dry at 3 weeks...puppies I believe should also have some access to water at this time?

Have you thought about using some fenugreek powder or tablets from the vet to help with the milk supply?

Alternatively you could make up some wombaroo puppy milk mix above put in a ball for them to lap up :)

Glad he us feeling better, whingers and males go hand in hand don't they ?? :laugh:

bikkies and porridge are ceareal carbohydrates and better suited to human babies.

Milk with a mince is better for baby puppies, you can use a blender or mash it with a fork.

Puppies that only need a top up you can try using goats milk, or goats milk with a dash of nutrigel.

Good luck

baby puppies ... squishables! :love::heart:

Edited by lilli

Definately sooky males ????

They all lapped up a little bit of meat blended with milk divetalact this morning and all had a go so will give them a little more this afternoon must have been hungry as they have all crashed out for ages. Mum Is doig a great job and also from all their extra suckiing yesterday mum has more milk by the looms of her.

People mentioned leaving some water in a bowl my question is what type of bowl do you have that they dont knock over and can reach into?

Thanks for all your help and ideas. I guess like human babies they are all different i think the hot weather is making them hungry they will be 3 weeks on friday i didnt want to rush into feeding them too soon before thye are ready but i guess if they are lapping they are ready???

Mum is still feeding them and will continue to do so for a few weeks, if they eat solids then that is great at it gives them that little bit extra.

My theory is in the wild, mothers would bring back food to her den and pups would feed of a little of that. You don't overload them with too much variety at this age, but it's great to introduce solids early I think, makes the weaning process in a few weeks much easier transition :)

Where are the photos? Or have I missed them :laugh:

Mum is still feeding them and will continue to do so for a few weeks, if they eat solids then that is great at it gives them that little bit extra.

My theory is in the wild, mothers would bring back food to her den and pups would feed of a little of that. You don't overload them with too much variety at this age, but it's great to introduce solids early I think, makes the weaning process in a few weeks much easier transition :)

Where are the photos? Or have I missed them :laugh:

I did add some under christmas photo thought i added to this forum but id didnt. Ill try again not very techno here....