Vet Clinic Waiting Rooms

SwaY

For those people with the large to extra large breeds the vet surgery in question does not expect them to be crated only to advise of appointment time and a back entrance is avaialable for any animal over a certain height and weight. The crating rule applies to dogs/cats/birds and reptiles, as often you will get felix fluff ball persion in at same time as george the parakeet and rufus the terrier, would make for very interesting waiting room with all the animal antics if they were not all contained.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those people with the large to extra large breeds the vet surgery in question does not expect them to be crated only to advise of appointment time and a back entrance is avaialable for any animal over a certain height and weight. The crating rule applies to dogs/cats/birds and reptiles, as often you will get felix fluff ball persion in at same time as george the parakeet and rufus the terrier, would make for very interesting waiting room with all the animal antics if they were not all contained.

Crating my dogs in a strange place would make for a much more stressful experience than I am willing to put them through. I still maintain that such a rigid and uneccessary protocol would be a deal breaker for many people. Both of my dogs are polite, well-mannered and under control in public and do not need to be stuffed away in a box.

Crating my dogs in a strange place would make for a much more stressful experience than I am willing to put them through. I still maintain that such a rigid and uneccessary protocol would be a deal breaker for many people. Both of my dogs are polite, well-mannered and under control in public and do not need to be stuffed away in a box.

Unfortunately, not all dogs are.

I wouldn't go to a vet that didn't allow me to walk in the front door with my dog. Back entrances at vets are for bodybags and other stuff I don't want to see. I also wouldn't be 'advising my appointment time', as the vets are responsible for knowing who they have made appointments with and when they are coming in.

I wouldn't go to a vet that didn't allow me to walk in the front door with my dog. Back entrances at vets are for bodybags and other stuff I don't want to see. I also wouldn't be 'advising my appointment time', as the vets are responsible for knowing who they have made appointments with and when they are coming in.

:thumbsup:

When I worked at the vet any dog suspected of having parvo was carried in where possible, alternatively they were taken in via the back door or if necessary via the front door with everyone removed and not allowed back until appropriately cleaned.

Obviously the last option was the one only used when absolutely necessary

:shrug: I'm yet to meet a nice one to be honest. There are a few around here. I have known a couple since they were puppies and they started out all right, although a bit odd, but they all do a lot of growly and tail up and stiff greetings now, if they even get as far as greetings. I'm sure there are plenty of nice ones out there, but I've never met one. I'm open-minded, but my emotional reaction is that I don't like them. Too many negative experiences with no positive experiences to balance it out.

Same here. I avoid getting to close to them as all I have encountered have been either agro or indifferent, never friendly to other dogs. They are a true fighting/guard breed and as such were never bred to have friendly temperaments.

I find they can be indifferent to other dogs rather than aggressive. I'm always amazed at how many pei come to the Peinics and yet there is no fighting or carry on, even when treats are being doled out. They are just not interested in each other!

i find in my area, most people have no idea, cant control there dogs, dont understand dogs personal space, and pass on their nervousness to there dogs once they realise that they have approached my bullmastiff.

I have to be ready for all circumstances!!

I am lucky though.... My boy was terrified of the vets, so i went in every chance i got, just for a visit.

Now he loves the vet and is completely relaxed about it. I do not want this to change, and thankfully i have built up a great relationship with the receptionists.

They not only get to know most dogs and control waiting areas as need be with various temperments but also do not allow you to come into reception after a sick dog until they have disinfected floor, benches and sprayed.

I only hope this never changes as our visits are always a positive experience for my boy.

:-)

I don't know why there's such a stigma around shar-peis, I'd be curious to know where it came from. I knew of one dog aggressive one, but the others I've encountered seem as cuddly as the dogs on the toilet paper commercials (only the adults have more grace about them than roly-polyness) :)

:shrug: I'm yet to meet a nice one to be honest. There are a few around here. I have known a couple since they were puppies and they started out all right, although a bit odd, but they all do a lot of growly and tail up and stiff greetings now, if they even get as far as greetings. I'm sure there are plenty of nice ones out there, but I've never met one. I'm open-minded, but my emotional reaction is that I don't like them. Too many negative experiences with no positive experiences to balance it out.

I don't want to turn this into a Shar Pei discussion :D but that is a bit sad, really corvus. Maybe look into the Shar Pei thread in Breeds? I spent a bit of time being involved in Shar Pei Rescue a few years back. I had Shar Peis visiting my house, baby sat puppies and adults, and loved each and everyone of them.

The only caveat I would offer is that, as with any breed, there can be rogues, and you need VERY deep pockets :eek:

When I worked at the vet any dog suspected of having parvo was carried in where possible, alternatively they were taken in via the back door or if necessary via the front door with everyone removed and not allowed back until appropriately cleaned.

Obviously the last option was the one only used when absolutely necessary

thats good to know i always freak with that