Vet Clinic Waiting Rooms

SwaY

Pebbles gets so excited at the vets, especially being so close to other dogs. She whines and whines and wants to say hello to all the other dogs. So i usually have to wait outside (it's a very small waiting room and high pitched whining and crying drives ME nuts let alone other people in the waiting room).

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what happens if your dog has to stay at the vets ???

Yes it goes into a cage/crate no matter what size dog it is.

So that is an argument for definately crate training ALL dogs as you never know when this important process just might be needed, like when we had the floods in QLD many dogs had to be penned/crated to be allowed to stay in certain shelter accomodation and in several cases people said same thing my dog never been in one, well surprise surprise if your life and your animals life depends on it you do it.

One of my dogs is close to 50kgs, I don't even know what size crate I would need to fit his lanky legs in, not to mention how I would transport the thing?!?! What do people with big dogs do?

Edited by Aussie3

So that is an argument for definately crate training ALL dogs as you never know when this important process just might be needed, like when we had the floods in QLD many dogs had to be penned/crated to be allowed to stay in certain shelter accomodation and in several cases people said same thing my dog never been in one, well surprise surprise if your life and your animals life depends on it you do it.

One of my dogs is close to 50kgs, I don't even know what size crate I would need to fit his lanky legs in, not to mention how I would transport the thing?!?! What do people with big dogs do?

The vets have big enough crates; if they can fit Danes in, they can fit your big dog in too :)

The vets have big enough crates; if they can fit Danes in, they can fit your big dog in too :)

How would I transport something so big though? I'm getting all kinds of visuals of myself doing this and none are very pretty :laugh:

Edited by Aussie3

How would I transport something so big though? I'm getting all kinds of visuals of myself doing this and none are very pretty :laugh:

Oh right, I was just talking about them staying overnight at the vets! Yeah I don't think there is a way you could take them in in a crate :laugh:

Buy bigger crates. They go up to 54" ;-) http://www.ebay.com....te&LH_PrefLoc=1

easy enough to transport folded up in the back of a wagon with the seats down, or set up in the back of a van.

(IMO) A properly crate trained dog should go into any crate on command though, so no real reason to be transporting your own crate to the vet if a dog needs an overnight stay anyway.

For what it's worth mine stay in the car until the vet is ready to see them, then back in the car straight after the consult before I pay. I don't see any need to have them in the waiting room unless it's excessively hot or an emergency.

*efs

Edited by SecretKei

Ha, back with our last litter I stopped by the vet, (without any animals) to pick up some more worming tablets, the receptionist knows us quite well, and was asking how the little ones were going, who was sold etc, just as I replied I had a blue roan cocker boy, currently 5 weeks old (at that time, changed my mind about the family I had picked for him) another person walked in, heard the last part of the conversation, and in a giant leap of assumptions flew into a long winded lecture to me about how a puppy that young should still be with his mother etc. I wish I could say that I calmly replied "he is" but sadly it was so bizarre that the receptionist and I just stared at each other laughing hysterically for a few minutes until I left. Was very entertaining though, and in one sense, the other lady was right, he did still need to be with his mother, which is why he was lol.

Ruth

easy enough to transport folded up in the back of a wagon with the seats down, or set up in the back of a van.

They maybe long enough for a large dog but they are certainly not tall enough or wide enough for legs to stretch out.

Our Danes have crates that are 120cm square, I can just see that in the waiting room :laugh:

When we go to vet I schedule appointment for routine things late morning to avoid the early rush I also crate both dogs and as these are just the right size for each dog (airline crates)I place on a small trolley one on top of other secured with strap, and wheel into waiting room, when it is our turn I simply wheel trolley into office unload crates place first dog up on table when she is finished back into safety of crate, 2nd dog out and same thing when finished out we go dogs secured, pay account and no dramas. The vet has sign in waiting area that ALL animals must be in crates and secure, if urgent cases come in they have crates available for containment. This stops lots of problems in waiting area, also stops unwanted attention from other owners and animals etc. If anyone new to area turns up with loose animal a loan crate is brought out and person advised they must bring animal in own crate next time or phone ahead and book crate use, small charge is made and money from hire is donated to local animal shelter.

All 7 of our active trialling dogs visit the vet (who is also their chiro) every 6-8 weeks to ensure they are in tip-top shape. I could just imagine us trying to carry in 7 BC sized crates and set them up somewhere in the waiting room LOL The theory is probably good... but in practise it sounds ridiculous!

One advantage of taking 7 in at a time is that the idiots standing by the door tend to move to allow us access and strangers are more reluctant to bring Fluffy over to say hello to a pack that large! We are such regulars though that on the few occassions we have had a sick dog being harassed or unsettled by noisy children etc they find somewhere quieter for us to wait. The waiting room, while small, has a divider set up through the middle so we can move to the other side and separate our pack from the people coming in.

They maybe long enough for a large dog but they are certainly not tall enough or wide enough for legs to stretch out.

Our Danes have crates that are 120cm square, I can just see that in the waiting room :laugh:

rofl1.gif I didn't mean for the waiting room LOL, I meant for crate training at home. I have one of those pens here too - they are HUGE!

Our local vet calls if they are running late so we can cut down time spent in the waiting room - I also call before I go if the dogs have anything I even suspect may be contagious - sniffles/ upset stomach etc. The waiting area is small and it is nigh on impossible to avoid anyone who won't keep their dogs close. The nurses are very good and will ask people to shorten leads, wait outside or pop them in a separate room if possible so thankfully we don't often have an issue. I don't have any problems asking people to keep their dogs away either, and to be honest it is one time when people's perception of Shar Pei being aggressive works in our favour - they rarely approach and are keen to keep their dogs at what they perceive is a "safe distance" from the nasty wrinkly ones.

I don't think I could get 2 crates which would have a combined weight of 50 kilos plus out of the car and into the surgery so that wouldn't work for me.

When we go to vet I schedule appointment for routine things late morning to avoid the early rush I also crate both dogs and as these are just the right size for each dog (airline crates)I place on a small trolley one on top of other secured with strap, and wheel into waiting room, when it is our turn I simply wheel trolley into office unload crates place first dog up on table when she is finished back into safety of crate, 2nd dog out and same thing when finished out we go dogs secured, pay account and no dramas. The vet has sign in waiting area that ALL animals must be in crates and secure, if urgent cases come in they have crates available for containment. This stops lots of problems in waiting area, also stops unwanted attention from other owners and animals etc. If anyone new to area turns up with loose animal a loan crate is brought out and person advised they must bring animal in own crate next time or phone ahead and book crate use, small charge is made and money from hire is donated to local animal shelter.

How strange and ridiculous. Imagine trying to get a Mastiff in a create who wasn't crate trained? I find most people love being in public with their dogs and like the interaction surrounding their pet. Those who don't usually have no hesitation is expressing this.

Forcing animals out of sight seems unprofessional. If I was asked to do this on entry I would not return.

I wish people would do this. I took Grumpy to the vet in a crate, on a trolley, and even then had to sometimes stand in front of the crate to stop people bringing their dogs too close. If it prevents issues then I don't care how unnatural anyone thinks it is for the short period the dogs are at the vet. Good grief.

Our local vet calls if they are running late so we can cut down time spent in the waiting room - I also call before I go if the dogs have anything I even suspect may be contagious - sniffles/ upset stomach etc. The waiting area is small and it is nigh on impossible to avoid anyone who won't keep their dogs close. The nurses are very good and will ask people to shorten leads, wait outside or pop them in a separate room if possible so thankfully we don't often have an issue. I don't have any problems asking people to keep their dogs away either, and to be honest it is one time when people's perception of Shar Pei being aggressive works in our favour - they rarely approach and are keen to keep their dogs at what they perceive is a "safe distance" from the nasty wrinkly ones.

I don't think I could get 2 crates which would have a combined weight of 50 kilos plus out of the car and into the surgery so that wouldn't work for me.

Do people actually think they are scary? Have they seen how hidden away those teeth are? I suspect it is the drool that puts them off!

Do people actually think they are scary? Have they seen how hidden away those teeth are? I suspect it is the drool that puts them off!

They seem genuinely worried that they will bite their dogs/kids - don't think it is the drool,my two are not very drooly most of the time. Issy often sits with her mouth open if she is a bit stressed so her teeth are all too visible - I hadn't really thought about it before but maybe that could be why.

I don't know why there's such a stigma around shar-peis, I'd be curious to know where it came from. I knew of one dog aggressive one, but the others I've encountered seem as cuddly as the dogs on the toilet paper commercials (only the adults have more grace about them than roly-polyness) :)

:shrug: I'm yet to meet a nice one to be honest. There are a few around here. I have known a couple since they were puppies and they started out all right, although a bit odd, but they all do a lot of growly and tail up and stiff greetings now, if they even get as far as greetings. I'm sure there are plenty of nice ones out there, but I've never met one. I'm open-minded, but my emotional reaction is that I don't like them. Too many negative experiences with no positive experiences to balance it out.

Their breed history is one of fighting/guarding and hunting so maybe the perception comes from this? People are usually pleasantly surprised when they meet our two - I just don't really want that to happen at the vet's though. They are usually stressed enough and I just like to get in and out. Our two go out and about quite a lot and I am always curious about their bad reputation too, when I ask people who pass negative comments why they think that way most cannot explain it or give me a good reason. It's weird.

:shrug: I'm yet to meet a nice one to be honest. There are a few around here. I have known a couple since they were puppies and they started out all right, although a bit odd, but they all do a lot of growly and tail up and stiff greetings now, if they even get as far as greetings. I'm sure there are plenty of nice ones out there, but I've never met one. I'm open-minded, but my emotional reaction is that I don't like them. Too many negative experiences with no positive experiences to balance it out.

Same here. I avoid getting to close to them as all I have encountered have been either agro or indifferent, never friendly to other dogs. They are a true fighting/guard breed and as such were never bred to have friendly temperaments.