Vet Clinic Waiting Rooms

SwaY

They seem to be populated by idiots with no idea on dog control !

I am sick of going to vets and having people....

Block the doorway

Having their dogs at the end of the lead trying to approach any dog that walks in the door

Letting their child drag the dog around the waiting room

Approaching your dogs without asking

No your sick dog can not play with mine

I wait outside for my appointment BUT; you then have to walk past these people who have no idea to get to the consult rooms.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats always a problem in my clinic, we have a very long narrow building, which means we have a small waiting room. If anyone has no control of their dogs, they are asked to wait outside. Our consult room has two doors so we can take one dog in one door and send them out the other if need be.

I once told someone that I thought my fearful dog might have parvo - she didn't and I didn't suspect it at all but it was the only thing that would get the b*tch to leave my dog alone.

I think some waiting room designs leave a lot to be desired though - one tiny room with no place to escape the hordes. I also have a very strong dislike of resident cats that approach dogs. My dogs are terriorists and one has a very strong prey drive. I don't want to have to deal with a sick, scared dog and a harassing cat. In fact I stopped going to a vet that has a very good rep because of their resident cat. When I asked the vet nurse to move her away from my dog her reply was "don't worry she's friendly and just wants to say hello.

The South East Animal Hospital is very good but vets also bring their off leash dogs there too. Some are great at keeping them in their office but we did get harassed by a resident lab when poor Lucy had toxic mould poisoning. Poor thing was ill and scared and then had to cope with a lab trying to jump on her head. I ran around the reception counter to block the lab and was then told I wasn't allowed behind the reception desk!

You should be able to enter a vets without being harassed by any animal - including the ones owned by the vet.

I saw a really nice waiting room- it was quite long and deep with alcoves so that people could sit and wait without the other animals being disturbed and wide enough that you could walk along the far wall to get past everyone easily. That didn't stop people letting their dogs lung out of the alcoves but the receptionist was very on the ball about asking people nicely to control their dogs. There were also more consult rooms than there were vets so that the ferals (animals or owners) could be put in seclusion if necessary.

Unfortunately my vets practice is in a renovated town house so the reception is part of the hallway and its a complete nightmare for me and my monsters!

Craigieburn vet has a great system.... one door one side goes into a dog waiting room with a greyhound waiting room off that again, is large with couch seating around. They also have two or three clinic rooms off that area so you dont walk down corridors with the dogs. A seperate door from outside goes to a cat waiting room both waiting rooms then have a circular reception desk and you can see each other but dogs and cats are apart.

Very well thought out and easy to work - thumbs up for this vet clinic.

my vet is great, 2 entry/exit doors to the waiting room and plenty of seats AWAY from the counter and scales so not everyone is in the same space, they work it very well so they dont have people hanging around waiting.

when i lost Atlas i had him in a few days before, he was very very very sick. A customer from work saw me and raced his two dogs over to me to play with my dog.

I went nuts, told them that my dog was almost dead and he was in pain and how stupid they were to run their dogs over others dog without asking, let alone at a vet clinic as you never know why the other dog is there and that if their dog got bitten and hurt it would be totally their fault.

Vet nurse told me i can come hang around anytime to tell people off :laugh:

Yet another reason to use a "breeder's vet". Very few pet owning numpties in the waiting room so have never had a problem. It is interesting in the waiting room though when the wildlife vet is on. All these people sitting around with squirming hessian bags does make a few people do a double take as they walk in.

My vet is pretty badly set up, the waiting chairs are opposite the counter (about 5 feet away, not really enough room for 2 people to stand if someone is sitting with theitr dog) with the scales on one side and the bags of food for sale on the other.

I usually stand on the other side of the room with my dog(s), or walk them around because unless they are really sick, they actually get excited about being at the vet. Mostly when we go to the vet it's not for an "illness" so much as an "injury" so they don't like to sit still. I don't normally let them talk to other dogs, and if they go to say hi to a person I pull them back, but I do let people come and say hi to them.

Although once Max was sitting very quietly and I thought she was just being good. Nope ... turns out someone before her had chewed a small hole in one of the food bags on pug level, so she was quietly helping herself to food :rofl:

I think vet nurses make a big difference too - I like bossy nurses who tell people to control their dogs in no uncertain terms.

I've gotten in trouble for asking people to control their dogs before. I had one case yesterday were a family brought in their three mix large breed dogs, two of which hate each other and started having a fight, I asked them to wait outside and seperate the two fighting dogs (we have a spot outside for people to sit) and the family then put in a complaint about me, grrrr!

When I was in my local vet's very small wating room a while back a very large GSD came out of the consult room and dragged itself against a long flexi-lead straight onto my dog. When I asked very politely that it be pulled off my girl's back so we could actually stand up and go into the consult room, the owner looked suprised and said "oh I didn't even see a dog there" and then to the dog "Sorry sweetie, the nasty person doesn't want to say hello".

Amazing and somewhat puzzling because

a) it is a tiny space where a dog, any dog, is hard to miss,

b) I had a giant breed, pure white, dog with me, that stands out anywhere, and

c) somehow the owner convinced herself I was at fault and needed to say so out loud, lol.

Edited by Diva

We don't do the Vet waiting room with our guys. Too many dogs & numpty owners. It is a very small room so not a good mix. Stella hates the Vet anyway. So we wait in the car & the Vet just comes out to the front door & gives us the ' nod' when he is ready to see us. We are very fortunate :)

We don't do the Vet waiting room with our guys. Too many dogs & numpty owners. It is a very small room so not a good mix. Stella hates the Vet anyway. So we wait in the car & the Vet just comes out to the front door & gives us the ' nod' when he is ready to see us. We are very fortunate :)

I have the same thing, I leave the dogs in the car until its time and if I have more than one dog needing to be seen, I leave the other one in the car and do a swap.

Craigieburn vet has a great system.... one door one side goes into a dog waiting room with a greyhound waiting room off that again, is large with couch seating around. They also have two or three clinic rooms off that area so you dont walk down corridors with the dogs. A seperate door from outside goes to a cat waiting room both waiting rooms then have a circular reception desk and you can see each other but dogs and cats are apart.

Very well thought out and easy to work - thumbs up for this vet clinic.

I agree. The fishtank divider is a nice touch.

But in my opinion, they would benefit a lot more from having a good staff.

They were highly recommended to me so I made the trip there and was sorely disappointed by both of the vets I saw.

I love their waiting rooms but I don't recommend them as vets.

Vet nurse told me i can come hang around anytime to tell people off :laugh:

You should have told her (gently of course) that that was her job :)

I think vet nurses make a big difference too - I like bossy nurses who tell people to control their dogs in no uncertain terms.

I've gotten in trouble for asking people to control their dogs before. I had one case yesterday were a family brought in their three mix large breed dogs, two of which hate each other and started having a fight, I asked them to wait outside and seperate the two fighting dogs (we have a spot outside for people to sit) and the family then put in a complaint about me, grrrr!

how awful. But I am sure your boss would be happy to see the back of clients like those.