Where Did You Get Your Experience From?

pesh

Simply - pick up a camera, start shooting, start figuring out how to make it do what you want it to do.

Use the net - huge, great resources for all topics.

Get involved in a supportive online community and comment, look, contribute.

Most important, imho, is actually doing the work - shoot, review, shoot, review, repeat...

Pesh... depends on what you want to do ?

Do you want to do a tafe course?

Do you want to read tips & hints ? Books or online?

Whichever way to learn the theory ..

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE :) :)

Maybe join a nearby Club?

PRACTICE :)

Here's something to get you started :)

LINK

There are some terrifically talented photographers on DOL ..and I admire their technical knowledge and expertise , as I just shoot from the heart, with scant regard to any number/setting or angle : / I can not comprehend all the tech stuff ..and just enjoy what turns out looking how I originally perceived it :)

Pesh, find what you really feel comfortable with ... whether it be garden, or dogs, or kids, or cobblestones ,or shoes :)

Click, and click, and click .... have a look at them ..if they make you smile , then you have done very well

then click and click some more... :)

What image storing/editing program do you have ?

Edited by persephone

I like photographing dogs (funnily enough), and am really lucky to not only have 4 of my own, but also have a friend that runs a dog rescue - so I get LOTS of practice at it... lol! I also have a lovely neighbour with 3 beautiful black dogs that can be a challenge to get great pics of... gotta get the lighting just right for them, and as I prefer natural light, practice is definitely the key...

I'm also a complete novice - I just tend to point the camera in the right direction and snap away, letting the camera do all the hard work for me. The most adventurous I've ever gotten is to take the lens off AF a couple of times. I've not yet tried any of the manual settings on my cameras, and get very confused when reading all the stuff that refers to manipulating those settings manually. I tend to do a lot of my photography on the Sports setting on my cameras - and as I shoot a lot of moving targets, that is what suits me right now.

I have 2 DSLR cameras, a Canon 450D, and a Canon 60D - and the 60D does take better photos in lower light scenarios - so I'd recommend going for the highest ranked camera that you can afford if you are lazy about the afterwards processing work.

All the photos I post here are not post processed apart from a little sharpening that my batch resizing program does when I resize photos for posting to websites. And I don't shoot in RAW... but that's something I'm probably going to have to look into if/when I get a macro lens... *grin*... I don't even have any software on my computer to do post processing - except Paint that comes with Windows, which isn't the best piece of software for doing much with.

T.

What "rattles" you about using your DSLR perse? Try clicking it to one of the presets (I like the Sport one), hold it to your face, look through the little hole, point it at something, then just start snapping... *grin*

Well, that's what I do with mine...

T.

Shoot a lot but also spend time looking at well regarded photographers because most people start off with an inflated sense of how good their shots are and then stop trying! Sites that critique are pretty helpful, but HONEST critiques. Eg if you post some nice but average photos of a dog on a dog forum, you will get a lot more praise than if you post it somewhere more objective.

post-3778-0-54189200-1357349367_thumb.jpg

This is a picture I took and know with a better lens it would look better. Wasn't the best time of the year and the scrub would normally have purple flowers.

I think not enough movement with it being a semi water shot.

Tell me what you think, but with a smile. :laugh:

Edited by pesh

Not specifically in reference to your shot, but it's not usually the lens - even the cheapest lenses are capable of lovely images. That's why it's so important to get out and shoot with what you have now - learn how to get the most of it and then when/if you do add excellent glass your results will SING!

Read the manual.

Take your camera out where ever practical.

Shoot critique, shoot critique. Enjoy just capturing something/anything you please.

Join a camera club

Enter photography competitions & critique comps...it helps you sometimes learn what is a 'good" shot as opposed to just one that is emotionally pleasing to yourself. That being said any shot that pleases you & makes you feel good & satisfied (and compels a memory of a time) to me is still a good shot.

Celebrate the fact that unlike the film days you can get out, shoot heaps & get a indication there & then on review of composition& light and what has/hasnt worked on a subject. Missed it? Try again!

Dont be afraid to take the photo of something youve never thought of before, vary your subject: you may surprise yourself with the results.

Anyway thats a hint from a learner to a learner! (pros might disagree)

I've found a class/comps that seems interesting, but doesn't start till March so gives me time to muck about again and refresh myself.

Thanks everyone for your support and links it's great.

• 4 weeks later...

I primarily use point & shoot cameras - as using my DSLR (an old canon) gets me very 'rattled' :o my new-to-me iPhone is just wonderful to play with ..and has heaps of interesting photo editing apps :)

I'm exactly the same as you pers. I love taking shots of my dogs and the little blighters are always on the go and I feel completely frustrated with my inability to get the settings right in time on an SLR :laugh:

That said I've got a Nikon D80 on Layby with Cash Converters so will give that a try :laugh: (I sure as hell wasn't going to pay top dollar for one given the number of tantys I've had with hubbys :o )

I've always been interested in photography/landscapes etc from a very young age and I guess it's just kind of went from there :D I'm not as good as many other photographers on DOL but I've learnt a lot and I still am :)

My story:

Used a point and shoot. Started getting interested.

Professional photographer friend loaned me an old DSLR.

I switched it to manual, googled ISO, aperture and shutter speed and went from there.

Practiced, practiced, practiced.

Professional photographer friend asked me to second shoot weddings for her.

Did a lot of second shooting before starting my own business.

Entered APPA and QPPA last year and picked up some awards, which was really exciting for me, because I felt validated by my peers.

The end, I am hooked :D Weddings are my absolute favourite thing.

You need honest feedback from someone who knows what they are talking about. I also believe you need (and I will probably get shot down for this) some degree of natural talent. You can have all the technical skills in the world and still create completely boring images. And like everyone else has said - practice. My old images make me cringe :o