Top Dog And Cat Names - 2012

j

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a dog called Moet when I was little ... I named her for the bottles that were always around our house :rofl:

Now I have Max (female) and Boston (male). Boston's litter brother is Bronx, because when I named Boston (Hugapug Missing in Boston) it started a bit of a litter naming theme with towns.

My brother's dog was called XXXX ( 4 X) for the same reason - just not as classy sounding Moet :laugh:

If I come across another bella or ruby I will scream. People are not very inventive.

:o I have a Ruby. Not because I'm not very inventive, but because I liked it as a name for a dog, and I wanted to shorten it to 'Roo' ;)

My cat is named Jasper (named well before Twilight was even thought of!)- he has many nicknames, but one of them is Piglet. So I have Piglet and Roo :D Ruby also gets called Rabbit. Now I just need a Winnie, an Eeyore and an Owl- I've already had a ginger cat named Tigger! :laugh:

Growing up, the majority of our animals had 'human' names, and living on a farm that was more like a menagerie, we had a lot of animals that had names!

Dogs- Patches, Pippy, Tara, Wart, Fido, Bess, Angie, Sunny, Bert, Nellie.

Cats- Sharon and Theresa (Mum nicknamed them Tatty and Titty lol!), Tom, Tigger, Ginger Meggs, Sooty, Star, Anya.

I even gave some of my goats first and middle names- e.g. Jane Fiona and Karen Felicity (who were twins) :o

OH, now we are talking other type of pet names. I had a Rat called Pookie, a Guinea Pig Bert, named after Bert Newton & a Diamond Python called Lurch, named after the butler in the Addams Family TV show. :laugh:

Poor Daisy has a common name! How horrific! :laugh:

I've never met nor heard of another dog called Wisdom, and while I didn't love her name to start with (I didn't choose it) I like it now as it's special just like her :)

No idea why we have stuck with human names ..

Listing all the animals I have had since I was a kid...

Dogs:

Marcus ( family dog)

Beccy ( sisters dog)

My pets:

Sam

Missy

Sasha

Lacy

Cat: we didn't have cats growing up ... dad didn't like cats.

Sophie

Bird:

Max

A question to all the owners of dogs with non human, tongue twister names.

What do you actually call your dogs day in day out?

Just an example because it is the post preceding .

Do you call Suleiman Suleiman all the time, some of the time, hardly ever.

My pick is door three.

Gary and Dennis, nowhere to be seen, sadly :confused:

Yep and no Stanley :shrug:

I have a friend with two daccy's called Graeme and Neil :)

Priceless. Love the human names :)

I remembered some of our past birds and rats names.....

Ade

Neo

Party Boy

Punkin

Jake

Billy

Edited by Aussie3

My pick is door three.

All of my dogs regardless of their name have many variations and nick names that I call them, some are even longer than their actual name :laugh:

My pick is door three.

All of my dogs regardless of their name have many variations and nick names that I call them, some are even longer than their actual name :laugh:

Another for door three.

I love naming animals because you can be creative. And playful. My three doves are Wrack, Ruin and Mayhem. They also have a food bowl with skulls on it. People love it. This led to the delightful situation of teaching my 2 year old niece the word "mayhem" when she was here at Christmas feeding Mayhem out of her teeny hand. When I had Kit the hare (named because I didn't think he'd last 24 hours and didn't know what sex he was anyway), I got a rabbit and called her Caboodle. She got rehomed as she was the devil incarnate. Second rabbit was Kat. She got myxo. :( Third rabbit was Bonnie, short for Bonita. I decided the Kit and .... theme wasn't working out. I doubt there are any other Kivi Tarros anywhere. He gets called just Kivi about 90% of the time. He does get his full name, usually when I am exasperated with him or giving him some love. People often laugh when I call Erik. They think it is cute and suits him.

I had a dog called Neschenka. And I always called her Neschenka. No shortening, it just suited her long. And Darkness was always Darkness, too.

Edited by Diva

My pick is door three.

Another for door three.

My dog has a simple 3 letter human name, and usually gets called some variation that is a lot longer, like bratface or squishieface or maxibutt :laugh:

Edited by minimax

My pick is door three.

Not always nice ones, depending on what mischief they have got up to. :laugh:

My pick is door three.

Well, Suleiman is technically a human name. But that's nitpicking for certain :laugh:

I do call him Suleiman, it's three syllables and easy to pronounce, but I will shorten it to Sully and also call him cottonhead, cloudface, icky and other nonsense nicknames. He responds to "Suleiman" and "Sully" (which is in his full name anyway) for attention/recall :)

My pick is door three.

Well, Suleiman is technically a human name. But that's nitpicking for certain :laugh:

I do call him Suleiman, it's three syllables and easy to pronounce, but I will shorten it to Sully and also call him cottonhead, cloudface, icky and other nonsense nicknames. He responds to "Suleiman" and "Sully" (which is in his full name anyway) for attention/recall :)

it's the way of it.

People don't even call each other by their given names ALL of the time.

So far I think the Devil is going to leave most of us alone..

None of my pets name are on that list either. I don't tend to give my dogs human names, but I do give my cats human names - no Idea why.

I seem to go with themes a little. Fr example I have a:

Fluke and Karma

Nyx, Venus and Luna (goddess names)

Also have Rasta, Capri, Dali and Diva.

Cats are Archie, Mac, Rahni, Taj, Muddy and Quincey.

I am not one for human names either but strangely most of our current dogs have them! Two were named by my OH though and he seems to choose them. They are not the common ones though. I would be putting my foot down big time if he tried to pull a 'Bella' on me lol!