Learning To Groom Your Own Dog

As Zoe advances in years I was thinking maybe I'd like to start clipping her myself. Am I crazy?

Is it possible to teach myself? The TAFE does a course which ideally I'd do but the hours they're offering the class this term aren't suitable. I'm hoping they'll offer it on weekends next term but that's not until May/June. She doesn't get any fancy clip, just a general all over clip. I'm sure it's one of those things that's harder than it looks so happy to be given a reality check about teaching myself! :laugh:

Like this:

Non clip

d0dbd53d835d89b15df4f8625287fd23.jpg

Clip (ignore the scallywag to the right)

79a6c8af.jpg

Edited by moosepup

I just bought some clippers and did some googling and then just went for it. My dog did look a bit funny the first couple of times, and I still haven't figured out what to do with her face, but it grows back and it's no big deal if I mess it up. Youtube has loads of grooming videos...

I just bought some clippers and did some googling and then just went for it. My dog did look a bit funny the first couple of times, and I still haven't figured out what to do with her face, but it grows back and it's no big deal if I mess it up. Youtube has loads of grooming videos...

Lol that's kinda what I figured, she's very very placid so would be a good subject. Now to research!

You can teach yourself but i guess the first question i would ask is how behaved is she when you brush her ??

As she is an oldie they tend to like confident handling so fumbling around at her age could be harder for you & her ,

To be honest i would say leave her to the groomers at this stage unless they have mentioned she is becoming an issue & wish to no longer do it.

Keep in mind you will also need to do the nails & all the other things.

Buying the clippers & suitable blades plus scissors won't be cheap so without sounding awful will you be purchasing another hairy dog long term ??

Very well behaved sd, you can do pretty much anything to her.

That's a good point about the outlay, my next dog will most likely be a purebred Chi so not likely to be clipped. What do quality clippers cost?

Edited by moosepup

Yes I would say upwards from $200 - closer to $300 (but try ebay after you find a style you like - we got our Andis ones from there).

anything that is cheaper is not going to cut it in the long term and will probably do a dodgy job in the short term.

Also make sure they have interchangeable blades and not just plastic comb attachments - you might be looking around $40 for blades and you should a #10 for groin and from the photo it looks like a #7 on the body

Thank you for all the tips! Particularly about what size blade to use, I figure I'd start with one that doesn't cut too short in case I stuff it, there'll still be some hair to work with. :laugh:

I'll do some proper research over the weekend. :)

Very good return Sandra, makes me feel a bit better about spending the money!

I bought Wahl clippers in a kit, was about $220, and came with two blades, some comb attachments (which I don't use), comb and scissors, as well as an instructional DVD. I thought that was pretty good. I then went and bought another pair of scissors and another blade. I use #4 on her body (poodle x maltese) and #10 around her bum and paw pads.

Yes, go for it, much less stress on your dog to be done in the comfort of her own home.

Net search for clippers. There are 2nd hand ones & up to $100 variation in price on the same brands for new.

Remember to keep the blade flat on the skin & check it doesn't get too hot. They heat up quite quickly. Test on your own arm for the technique & feel of what your dog will be feeling & periodically place on your own skin to check heat of blade as you go.

Hair grows back quickly if you mess up & the dog doesn't care what it looks like so what's to lose.

Edited by Christina

I bought some great quality clippers on ebay, so check that out. I got a nice pair of Wahl for $70.

If you were local to me I would show you how, but its not that hard to master esp if you arent too fussed how they look. My old boy (17) gets a very basic clip because he doesnt tollerate any foofing about.

Most of the longer blades will look a little choppy so don't be too worried when you do it :)

She went to a new groomer for the first time last month and came back looking a little 'choppy' so I probably couldn't so a worse job lol.

Yes, go for it, much less stress on your dog to be done in the comfort of her own home.

Net search for clippers. There are 2nd hand ones & up to $100 variation in price on the same brands for new.

Remember to keep the blade flat on the skin & check it doesn't get too hot. They heat up quite quickly. Test on your own arm for the technique & feel of what your dog will be feeling & periodically place on your own skin to check heat of blade as you go.

Hair grows back quickly if you mess up & the dog doesn't care what it looks like so what's to lose.

Awesome, thank you. Sounds like Wahl are a good brand to start with and will be extra careful about them heating up.

She's a bit of a flopper so it might be a challenge to get her to stand up for me for a period of time but I figure if she sits/lies I can just do one side and then shift her over to do the other.

Dumb question but do you wash and dry first and then clip? Or wash and dry after? She's not a particularly dirty dog.

I bought some great quality clippers on ebay, so check that out. I got a nice pair of Wahl for $70.

If you were local to me I would show you how, but its not that hard to master esp if you arent too fussed how they look. My old boy (17) gets a very basic clip because he doesnt tollerate any foofing about.

Hi Rysupsmile.gif! would it be possible to PM me the ebay seller or link of where you got your Wahl clippers?