Another Great Gap Story!

westiemum

I love the quote about greyhounds..."they're ready for nursing homes their whole life". That would be Stan's dream job...all those beds! :laugh:

Well done Jacob :thumbsup: thanks for sharing Westiemum

I echo this ... and about quotes, I was pleased to see the woman advocating larger dogs for elderly people.

So many people think: weak, can't lift up, etc etc and so advocate small dogs. I can't think of anything much more dangerous than small dogs around the feet of older people.

The trouble I see with Stan in a situation like that, Stan's Mummy, is that once he'd found a bed, would he move? Jealousy would be rampant - LOL - unless he selected a different bed every day.

I was interested in that they took the colour of the dog into consideration. All the things to think about.

Wonderful.

I love the quote about greyhounds..."they're ready for nursing homes their whole life". That would be Stan's dream job...all those beds! :laugh:

I echo this ... and about quotes, I was pleased to see the woman advocating larger dogs for elderly people.

So many people think: weak, can't lift up, etc etc and so advocate small dogs. I can't think of anything much more dangerous than small dogs around the feet of older people.

The trouble I see with Stan in a situation like that, Stan's Mummy, is that once he'd found a bed, would he move? Jealousy would be rampant - LOL - unless he selected a different bed every day.

I was interested in that they took the colour of the dog into consideration. All the things to think about.

Wonderful.

Jacob was selected especially for Dutton Court because of his looks and temperament

That's pretty disappointing. I get the feeling black is the colour they're trying to avoid and given how many greys are black, that's a very bad message to be sending to the public.

Wonderful.

Jacob was selected especially for Dutton Court because of his looks and temperament

That's pretty disappointing. I get the feeling black is the colour they're trying to avoid and given how many greys are black, that's a very bad message to be sending to the public.

I disagree, residents in nursing homes often have poor sight. A black dog lying down inside can be hard to spot.

<script src="http://1.2.3.4/bmi-int-js/bmi.js?version=1332944399" language="javascript"></script>

Wonderful.

I disagree, residents in nursing homes often have poor sight. A black dog lying down inside can be hard to spot.

Yes you're right. They did explain that they chose a white dog so it would be easier for the residents to see and a large dog so they wouldn't easily trip over it.

I understand what you're saying HA but at least they explained why they chose that colour.

[ residents in nursing homes often have poor sight. A black dog lying down inside can be hard to spot.

Yes. The article sets out how appearance (including height & predominance of white) & temperament were matched with safety & interaction needs for a dog being in an aged persons' facility.

Years back, a retired greyhound was selected to be the resident therapy dog in a facility for aged nuns in Brisbane. The same features were pointed out, why a greyhound filled the bill so well.

Just saying... these dogs are brilliant as pets. Racing greyhound owner next door just looked to rehome one of his young grey girls who was from his champion bloodline. No good at racing... she was more interested in playing with other dogs & getting pats from people. This man loves his greys & he went all out to find a perfect pet home. Found it with just retired couple in next suburb whose elderly BC had died... but years back they'd owned a retired greyhound that they loved dearly.

The girl went to live with them on Saturday...mutual love immediately. She's named Amber after her colour. She found a playmate with the dog next door. And gave her new 'mum' some pet therapy. The lady is recovering from a broken leg... so Amber gently curled up next to her & snoozed with her head in her lap. Her new 'dad' took her for a walk & she got on well with every dog she met. The grandchildren came to visit & she was wonderful with them. I saw Amber yesterday with her new 'dad' & the bond between them was obvious...she leans against him all the time. He told us if we thought that was a strong bond, we should see Amber with her new 'mum'!

Wonderful.

Every nursing I've ever been in has had either white or very pale floors. A black dog would stand out very clearly, even in the dark. If your nursing home has black carpets, by all means pick a lighter dog for safety but in this case.. I don't believe safety was the deciding factor in the colour choice.

Wonderful.

Every nursing I've ever been in has had either white or very pale floors. A black dog would stand out very clearly, even in the dark. If your nursing home has black carpets, by all means pick a lighter dog for safety but in this case.. I don't believe safety was the deciding factor in the colour choice.

why are you trying so hard to find fault? It's a great article, great promotion for greyhounds and you're hung up on colour even though they explained the reasons for it. White dogs are easier to see.

[Every nursing I've ever been in has had either white or very pale floors. A black dog would stand out very clearly, even in the dark. If your nursing home has black carpets, by all means pick a lighter dog for safety but in this case.. I don't believe safety was the deciding factor in the colour choice.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

However, the spokesperson for the facility, is quoted in the article, that their choice of Jacob's colour was among the safety reasons.

Seems factual, to me.

He’s white with black on him, he’s mostly white so

it’s easier for the residents to see him and he’s a big

dog, he’s up to most of the residents’ waists, so it’s less

of a risk that they’ll fall over him,”

Wonderful.

why are you trying so hard to find fault? It's a great article, great promotion for greyhounds and you're hung up on colour even though they explained the reasons for it. White dogs are easier to see.

I'm entitled to my opinion and in my opinion, it's a flimsy reason for excluding black dogs. Simple as that.

Sadly there's always one fault finder in every bunch...

It's a great story with a viable template for other aged care facilities to follow. Congrats to GAP and the staff for thinking of everything to make sure its a success for Jacob and the ressies. I used to work at the organisation that runs this facility and I know it well. It's a beautiful new facility with carpets. Harry's Angel I suspect you haven't been in an aged care facility for a while. White floors? In the kitchens maybe... And that's a 'flimsy' reason for advocating a dog colour. And nowhere in the article did it say black dogs were excluded. They simply choose a dog of the safest colour for the ressies - as they are obligated to do under the Aged Care Act. There's a difference between choosing safety and active exclusion.

And another grey finds a wonderful home with many sources of love... And you have to be pleased about that!!

Go Jacob! :)

Edited by westiemum

What a lucky hound and residents at the home. Jacob is gorgeous :love:. Here's hoping he has many wonderful years of companionship to give.

The laws regarding toilets and stair edges in nursing homes is that there must be a high visual contrast. Two colours, like black and white, have to be used so that it is compliant with AS 1428. So a black and white greyhound meets the standard, if building standards applied to dogs.