Advice, Opinions Please?

miss2

Looking for a bit of help and other people's advice I think....

My partner and I have had our dog spud for about 9 months now and he is the LOVE of our life. Words can not describe how much this dog means to us lol

Now we both work full time and spud is at home by him self. When we get home we always make time for him, playing, walks, training etc. the fact is he is still at home by him self for 8 hours a day.

when ever we go anywhere he comes with us. If we go to the tip he comes, the river, back home to see family ( 5 hours away) he comes. We are very much a family of 3.

Other then us, spuds favorite thing in the world is other dogs- he just loves playing with them so so much.

We have been thinking about getting another dog for a long time now and have gone to view a couple and have always come out thinking maybe we are just happy with our family of 3?

We have just recently found another little one - about 4 months old. We took spud to meet her and they got along perfectly- loved each other and we loved her to. On the drive home my fiancé and I are both looking at each other thinking " is this the right thing to do?"

So I guess once again we are just really undecided and I'm looking for some opinions please.

( finance for feeding, medical etc is not an issue as we always make sure we have funds for our animals)

Did you get Spud as a puppy - so he is now 11-12 months old? If so, I would suggest you wait for a little while, for no other reason than he is still a big pup himself & two pups together can create all sorts of trouble (wrecking, barking etc).

Of course he got on with a 4 month old puppy - any normal dog will get on with a 4 month old puppy, they're still babies, no threat, to be protected etc.

There's no reason to suppose they won't always get on, don't misunderstand what I'm saying, but don't read anything in to his perfectly natural response to "like" a baby.

Honestly, if you're still undecided then the answer should be no. Maybe in a few months time you'll change your minds & decide the time is right, but I've always been of the opinion that if you're at all doubtful about something that has feelings then you probably shouldn't :)

Honestly, if you're still undecided then the answer should be no. Maybe in a few months time you'll change your minds & decide the time is right, but I've always been of the opinion that if you're at all doubtful about something that has feelings then you probably shouldn't :)

I agree with this, you seem to have huge doubts which to me means no.

We had Blackie, our first dog (and my first EVER dog) in similar circumstances to you. As a 9 mth old labrador puppy, he was bored and quite destructive. We mused for a while over getting another dog to solve some of the boredom and destruction issues,and really my heart was against it because I knew that ultimately all the extra work that comes with a second dog would end up on my shoulders, and frankly I wondered how I would cope.

Then one day we saw another young male black labrador looking for a good home, through the RSPCA - he'd only just been listed and there was no picture or any other info. We made an appointment for us all to go visit - and that night Blackie ate the backs of the armchairs, the coffee table and my Husband's computer power cord - it was touch and go whether we would be coming home with any dogs at all! :laugh: However, we did all meet and it was love at first sight for all of us. The second dog, now called Bosch, was about 2 months younger than Blackie, and they just took to each other immediately.

I'd be lying if I said that we never ever had any more destruction, but it became a rare occurrence, and the dogs keep each other company and us entertained,and the work involved in keeping two dogs seems to be no greater than I recall than in keeping just the one.

If the two dogs get along well, and if you can offer the space and care they need, then I'd say go for it.

I can't imagine life without my two black dogs.

Thank you everyone. Spud is about a year now so still very much a puppy . He is a very well trained little boy though and trainning is a priority for us.

He is incredibly bored wheb we are not around and he try's to play with the chickens, the horses, the cows, anything.

He entertains him self by chewing- sticks, chairs,clothing. ( puppy behaviors I know :) )

We have both grown up in an always 2 dog house hold and have seen the love 2 dogs have for each other.

This little one is from a shelter ( my work) as well so we would be potentially giving an abandoned dog a very loving home.

I appreciate everyone's advice and opinions as I never ever thought getting another cute baby would be a hard decision

Thank you everyone. Spud is about a year now so still very much a puppy . He is a very well trained little boy though and trainning is a priority for us.

He is incredibly bored wheb we are not around and he try's to play with the chickens, the horses, the cows, anything.

He entertains him self by chewing- sticks, chairs,clothing. ( puppy behaviors I know :) )

We have both grown up in an always 2 dog house hold and have seen the love 2 dogs have for each other.

This little one is from a shelter ( my work) as well so we would be potentially giving an abandoned dog a very loving home.

I appreciate everyone's advice and opinions as I never ever thought getting another cute baby would be a hard decision

does this mean he has access to these other animals? cause 2 dogs will create a lot more havoc if they can both chase the stock.

Oh and I should also point out that I'm not very good at making decisions that involve ' big things' lol I can't even bring my self to buy a new car that we need because it is such a big decision ( loan, debt etc ) lol I over think everything!

I have always worked on the theory that if I was hesitant at all about getting another dog I wouldn't do it.

Personally I've always been a multi dog person. I love having a well run pack to share my home with but many dogs do really well on their own and if you're happy with just the three of you then why not keep it that way?

does this mean he has access to these other animals? cause 2 dogs will create a lot more havoc if they can both chase the stock.

this waves a big red flag at me ....

two dogs are a PACK ..and will be much more inclined to chase/harass other animals :( :( It is a natural instinct . Training can help a single dog ..... but a single dog's behaviour toward other animals will change once it has a pack , and training may well be totally forgotten as instinct takes over :(

Edited by persephone

this waves a big red flag at me ....

two dogs are a PACK ..and will be much more inclined to chase/harass other animals :( :( It is a natural instinct . Training can help a single dog ..... but a single dog's behaviour toward other animals will change once it has a pack , and training may well be totally forgotten as instinct takes over :(

Totally agree.

By all means get another dog for company, but ensure dogs and stock are separated during the day when you're not there.

I'd say you need to give him more to keep him occupied when you aren't home, not another dog.I wouldn't say a well trained dog chews clothes and chairs, and at 12 months I wouldn't still be excusing it as puppy behavior.

Edited by minimax

he try's to play with the chickens, the horses, the cows, anything.<br style="color: rgb(70, 85, 132); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(250, 252, 254);">He entertains him self by chewing- sticks, chairs,clothing. ( puppy behaviors I know :) )

yes, they are puppy behaviour - but he's not really a puppy ;)

what interactive toys does he have for when you aren't home ?

does he have/use kongs, tug toys, sand pit, pool, large balls, noisy toys, cardboard boxes etc etc ???

Thank you all.

He has kongs, squeak balls, has wading pool, rawhide, a sandpit, the list goes on!

U have all helped me. I think we need more time to work with him.

He is very well socialized, would he still appreciate another dog and a play friend say 1 year down the track?

Thank you all.

He has kongs, squeak balls, has wading pool, rawhide, a sandpit, the list goes on!

U have all helped me. I think we need more time to work with him.

He is very well socialized, would he still appreciate another dog and a play friend say 1 year down the track?

He might have too much stuff or too many toys. Does he have special treats or toys that he only gets when you go out, and do you rotate his toys and treats so he doesn't have the same thing every day?

Getting another dog later is always a possibility, but I wouldn't do it while one dog still has bad habits because they will pass them on to a new dog.

I don't know if you could call a dog alleviating boredom bad habits. There are things my dog might do routinely if he's bored, but if he's not bored he doesn't do them. Hence, not a habit, but a predictable response to specific conditions.

I got Erik when Kivi was just shy of 18 months old. Kivi was an only dog only for a couple of months. He is a very social dog and he would get quite stir crazy if we didn't take him to the dog park to play with other dogs every few days. When we brought the puppy home he was so excited and in the weeks that followed he spent a lot of time with the puppy and no longer bounced off the walls if he didn't get to go to the dog park. He is now nearly 5 and Erik is his BFF. They are so good together, and look out for each other.

So for us at least a second dog has been the right thing for the first dog. I think the fact that our two are not quite 18 months apart in age facilitated their bond with each other. It is a big decision to make, but it sounds like you guys are ready to make it if you're going so far as to look at potential dogs to bring home. I would say form a contingency plan for what you would do if it didn't work out and see if that makes you feel any surer of yourself. I don't think I could ever go back to one dog. The two of them are so tight with each other it always makes me feel good to see them with each other. They play a lot and it keeps them fit and always puts a smile on my face. If I were you, I'd give it another 6 months at least, depending on your dog's maturity. Kivi behaved like an adult dog at 18 months, but Erik didn't until he was 3 years old, basically.

If you are having any doubts then you shouldn't get the dog.

After my Emma died I worried about getting another dog because Kenzie had always lived with another dog and I didn't want her being lonely. But the couple of litters I heard of that were remotely of interest I kept going away thinking "hmm, I don't know". Also met some lovely rescue dogs that would have been great for some of the activities I want to dop, but still wasn't sure. So I went with my gut and didn't get a puppy just because I was worried about Kenz. When Hamish's litter came along I knew immediately that I wanted and was ready for a pup, there was no doubt or question. And so obviously, he came home!!! If it's the right pup and the right time you will know!

I say go for it, you sound like loving dog owners who will give this girl an extremely loving home and will do everything in your power to make her and you boy happy. If you have one dog you might as well have two as far as I am concerned.

The valid argument in this thread is what Persephone had to say in regards to pack instinct and is something you need to consider, I think the dynamic can change with the introduction on another dog. But I say if you think you can control that aspect, go for it.