Grooming Essentials For A Border Collie

Hi Guys, I'm getting my first Border Collie on Thursday, and I was wondering what are the essentials for keeping his coat in good condition. I have access to a professional grooming salon at work, but not being professionally trained (though I am good at getting knots and undercoats out :) )I am not sure of what equiptment will be the best for me to use on him. I have a slicker brush, a furminator style brush (its called a furbuster, works just as good but is cheaper), and a good comb, is there anything else anyone can suggest? Does anyone have a good recommendation for a shampoo and conditioner? I love using Aloveen, but I'm not sure if there is something that may be better? Any advice and input welcome :D

I saw your pup's photo in the puppy thread, he's adorable! I have a blue merle Aussie Shepherd girl, now 14 mths old :)

Don't use the Furbuster on him, it will break his top coat. The slicker will be ok as a baby with his litle fluffy coat but I'd suggest a pin brush, brushing the fur up backwards from tail to head to get down to the skin, and an undercoat rake or shedding comb (which might be what you already have) as his coat develops, especially when he has his coat drops!

Don't forget nail clippers, and practice clipping his nails often as a baby (this is my new advice to mention to all new puppy owners :p )

Oh forgot to mention, I really like Aloveen and use the shampoo and conditioner on my guys. As he grows up you may find his pants (back of his legs) go a bit frizzy so conditioner is good for that.

Occasional dogs are sensitive to oatmeal so just check that he doesn't have a reaction to it.

I was going to use the furbuster on him for when he is older, and dropping his coat, does the fur breaking apply when he is older? Would an undercoat rake be better for when he is older? Is there a specific brand that is recommended if so? (price is no issue).

My partner wanted an aussie shepherd, but I decided they were a bit too aloof for me, so when he is able to get another dog (when his staffs move onto the next world), he can get an Aussie. I figured I would meet him *kind of* half way by going a merle ;) I love that you call the feathers pants as well >.< My favourite client at work takes his border collie's pants off, it just doesnt look right!!

At what age will it be safe for me to try the aloveen on him? or would it just be a case of doing a test patch on his tummy or something like that to see if he reacts?

and thanks for the nail clipping tip, stupidly, thats not something I had thought of, but with my two kitties that will let me near them (the third is a very timid rescue), I play with their feet all the time so that they are used to it, so I probably would have ended up doing it without even realising. From working in boarding, I have seen what can happen if a dog isnt trained to be groomed or handled in unnatural ways for them, and I wont let this happen with my boy, 20kgs of snapping border wouldnt be fun!

Aussies seem to vary in temperament, mine is the total opposite of aloof, she's always throwing herself at people and trying to get her tongue in their mouths to show them how much she loves them :o I really wouldn't mind if she was a bit more reserved, sigh...

Your client takes his BCs pants off, heehee! I know what you mean, we had a conversation about that in the Aussie thread recently, seems many of us have problems with crazy looking pants on our dogs :laugh:

Yes, the Furbuster will still damage his coat when he's grown up, he should end up with fine-ish, long-ish hair for is top coat, which is what you don't want to be cutting with Furminator type tools, and a softer fluffier undercoat which will fall out, that's mainly what you'll be brushing out with an undercoat rake. I haven't stuck to any particular brand but check with his breeder whether they recommend anything in particular. They can probably give you a quick grooming lesson too :).

I think the oatmeal sensitivity is pretty rare so I wouldn't worry too much, but a patch test on his back or belly

might be a good idea (still wash it off, of course). Age wise, I used I on mine from pretty much when they first came home (and I didn't know they could be sensitive to it so just went ahead and used it). Again, check with the breeder as they may have already bathed him with something.

Another thing to be aware of with Collie breeds is that they can be sensitive to Ivermectin and various other things that are on some dog medicines. I don't know much about that but search DOL and, of course, ask the breeder.

Edited by Simply Grand

I was going to use the furbuster on him for when he is older, and dropping his coat, does the fur breaking apply when he is older? Would an undercoat rake be better for when he is older? Is there a specific brand that is recommended if so? (price is no issue).

My partner wanted an aussie shepherd, but I decided they were a bit too aloof for me, so when he is able to get another dog (when his staffs move onto the next world), he can get an Aussie. I figured I would meet him *kind of* half way by going a merle ;) I love that you call the feathers pants as well >.< My favourite client at work takes his border collie's pants off, it just doesnt look right!!

At what age will it be safe for me to try the aloveen on him? or would it just be a case of doing a test patch on his tummy or something like that to see if he reacts?

I used Aloveen for my puppies and had no problems at all with it. They were bathed with it at about 4 or 5 weeks.

Personally I would use an undercoat rake rather than a furminator style comb. I think they are better on a GSD type of coat than a longer coat like BC, but that is just my experience. I do have a Mars Coatking as well but only use that a couple fo times a year.

My essential items are a collie comb, a soft slicker (I like the Lawrence Tendercare), an under coat rake and a nice pin or nylon & bristle brush. Nail clippers of course as well as some scissors for tidying up feet. I have a pair of thinning scissors too but they get used once a year or so so not really an essential item.

A lot of people don't think about clipping nails until they get long enough to need it, and by then the dog is old enough to think "I'm not letting you cut bits of me off!!" . Having had 3 puppies in 2.5 years I've really come to appreciate how much easier it is to get them used to things as babies, when they still worship you, before they get little independent minds of their own :laugh:

Thanks for the tip on the furminator type tools, one will definately get no where near his coat now :) I will pick up an undercoat rake when I go to the pet store next (probably tomorrow :p ). I had also read about the ivermectin sensitivity as well, and thought it was quite odd! I was thinking of using sentinel for him, is that ivermectin based? At what age can I use that if its not? I will talk to the breeder as well and see if hes had his first bath yet, and what she used if so, and if she has any more tips :) What is a collie comb specifically? I like the lawrence tender care slickers too, I just need to find a store that stocks them :/ I've got a couple of pairs of good scissors, but they are in need of sharpening thanks to my bunny!

Love the undercoat rake!!! I brushed Kenzie with that today and got another "puppy" out of her!! It seems if they are dropping any coat the undercoat rake will find it!

I also have a $6 human hair brush from K-mart (pin style) and both my BC's love it - it is their favourite brush to be brushed with. The only use I now have for a furminator style brush is to get the dead hair fluff out from the ears (I'm not confident trimming it! And I can't bring myself to pluck it!!). I got a rotating tooth comb (have a collie comb but my 2 find it a bit harsh), and combing is now soooo easy. We also have a slicker and a bristle brush (they don't get as much of a work out as the others!!).

Shampoos - I think you just need to figure out what works for your dogs coat. At the moment I'm using Ruddick's Soft n Silky, followed by Plush Puppy Whitening and Ruddicks Black shampoo (I have black and white BC's!). My 2 are looking spectacular with this combination!!! Every single person who meets Hamish comments on how great his coat is - I refer to him often as my "Wella Balsam commercial" he has that beautiful silky, fall in to place hair you see on shampoo commercials!!!

Good sturdy Pin brush - try looking at one of the show suppliers at a dog show. I don't particularly like the ruddocks or grip soft ones.

The kong "Zoom grooms" but they are better to help get the dead coat out providing there are not dreds and knots

A nice wide come will help with the pantaloons

The undercoat rakes are pretty good, but do watch how hard you press on these as they can scratch the skin.

A good coat detangler is also good and helps prevent splitting the hair. At worse, you can use a dollop of conditioner in a spray bottle of water and shake it all up

Slicker brush to finish

Sturdy bristle brushes are also good

During the coat drop period, regular weekly warm water baths. Do not need to use soap each time, the warm water does help to blow the coat more quickly and a good blow dry after.

Shampoo and conditioners: Up to you mostly as there are so many now available on the market.

I use Fido's free itch as my general use shampoo. Mainly because of fleas and ticks where I am and I find a regular bath in Fido's does help control fleas here saving me on flea products.

My fave's

Paws sensitive skin is also nice

I also like the Petway brand of Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner - nice smelling and is also gentle on coats/skin

LOVE the Groomers Royal Jelly Shampoo and Tropical conditioner

I would be careful of Tea tree shampoos as these can be quite drying to the hair and skin. Even fidos can be drying to some coat types.

Furminators and coat kings - some pet stores love to sell these two products. Problem is they cut the coat as they get pulled through. Used incorectly, they will strip the top coat making it look all horrible. Don't like them at all

In my grooming box I have two rakes, one wide tooth, the other narrow, a Mars Coat King which I use a few times a year on the pants & under the tail, a LePooch wire brush which is good for doing the pants & tail, a human pure bristle brush for polishing & just because they like it :) a pair of nail clippers & scissors for trimming feet. Remember to handle the feet often & not just when you want to cut his nails :) Before I start to groom & for detangling, I spray on some human leave-in conditioner by Schwarzkopf. I have tried a few different pet sprays, but keep coming back to this one. My favourite shampoo at the moment, is Fidos Emu Oil, Soap Free & I keep a bottle of Plush Puppy Wonderwash for spot treatments & emergencies. I also have a packet of baby wipes.

I still don't feel I have it right & am always asking for ideas on doing the pants & a very, very full fluffy tail.

Oh...& most of the above is for my girl :laugh: My boy has a teflon coat, has only been shampood twice in 22 months & I mostly only use the two rakes & the pure bristle brush on him. They both swim everyday.

Edited by sheena

Welcome to the wonderful world of Border Collies. :D

It's quite confusing as there are so many products out there, people have their favourites - and as usual, different products suit different dogs.

For a baby ... gentle shampoo (I use Bio-Groom Protein Lanolin tearless - still use it for my show boy's face, and as an all purpose pet shampoo for my agility girl);

- a spray bottle for your detangler (or water) to lightly spray the coat before grooming. (My detangler of choice is Plush Puppy Revivacoat - but it doesn't suit all dogs.)

- Collie comb/undercoat rake - but also, and for a baaby, this is the only comb I'd use .. a rotating tooth comb - sometimes sold as detanglers - gentler on the skin.

- good quality pin brush - not just the cheapos - expensive to buy but will last and do a great job.

- good quality slicker - I like Lawrence.

And good nail clippers - my preference is for the scissor style ones, although I now mostly use a Dremel with the sanding belt attachment - much quicker.

Scissors (curving blade) for trimming under feet. The blades curve away from the foot, so you're less likely to accidentally nick pads.

Little and often is the rule for grooming, especially babies. If you can keep the coat tangle and mat free, they are really pretty easy care. Particular attnetion to pants and to the bits behind the ears.

I did buy a Furminator, but would never use it on the Border Collies - for the reasons given - great for my chinchilla coated cat though, although you do end up in a cloud of fur :rofl: .

General rule is little and often.

A good site for brushes etc is Pet Network. You'll find them on Google. :)

I love the Plush Puppy pin brushes - excellent prices but sturdy and effective.

Just a question....I have often seen people mention these pin brushes...would they be better for a BC's tail & pants than a LePooch ????

I use both. I use a pin brush first ,then a Le pooche & finish with a greyhound wide tooth metal comb. I love the CC pin brush. They are $

though.

Every second day I just use my MP bris brush & finish with a comb. I am a bit anal with my guys grooming though.

Edited by BC Crazy

Prestige do not make a bad pin brush for price. About $21 for large oval. Have a look at dog grooming essentials in Brisbane as well.

I do not like the PP hedgehog brush. Their old design was much better. Their current range are too soft for a BC.

With curved scissors. You either love them or hate them. I have both. I have had problems keeping an edge on my curves though.

You can also buy round tips if you are a bit squeamish about pointed ends.

Thanks for all the tips guys, please keep them coming!! I picked up a pin brush (I got one of the prestige pet ones as I dont like plastic handled brushes), a lawrence slicker (I realised once actually looking in my grooming box, that i now have the small, medium and large sized tender care ones lol), and an undercoat rake :) I've also ordered a nice oster metal comb (I use it at work and want my own for home), so hopefully that wont take to long to come in :)

LOL - I just went mad and shouted myself a Mason Pearson (thanks dancinbcs for that link to the shop in Sydney). Used it for the first time last week, and love it - and Rory went DogCC/RUBOB and AusBred inGroup in the morning show on Saturday, and BOB in the afternoon - feel like I won the lottery :laugh: .