Royal Canin

Rosetta

I finally got sick of Mischa turning her nose up at every raw food I put in front of her, so as a last resort, tried Wellness. She picked at it, if she was hungry enough. Then I bought some Royal Canin Mini mature adult and she LOVES it :thumbsup: the biscuits are the perfect size for her. She's doing great on it and BARF/VAN in the evenings.

I finally got sick of Mischa turning her nose up at every raw food I put in front of her, so as a last resort, tried Wellness. She picked at it, if she was hungry enough. Then I bought some Royal Canin Mini mature adult and she LOVES it :thumbsup: the biscuits are the perfect size for her. She's doing great on it and BARF/VAN in the evenings.

I tried Wellness and it made him sick. He currently has Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream but the kibble size is a bit large for a small dog IMO and I would like something I don't have to order online and is available at the pet store.

Zeus has been on RC sensitive medium for coming up 4 years now and Kirah is on the equivalent for small dogs for nearly 2 years now. Both are fed it as their main diet and I've had no problems at all.

Both are highly active, perfect weight, have nice firm poos and shiny coats. It's also very economical for me as Kirah only requires 1 tablespoon for breakfast and dinner. Zeus is on 1/4 cup twice daily so a 15 kilo bag will last over 6 months.

1 tablespoon? Is she a guinea pig in disguise :laugh:

Mine would leave home if I offered them a tablespoon breakfast/dinner and they weigh 2kgs

Not a guinea pig -- she actually weighs between 6.4 and 6.7 kilos. I find with all the extra food (treats from training, chicken wings etc) she gets during the day, I've got her diet balanced nicely. If she hasn't had anything extra during the day I'll give her and Zeus tuna, mackerel or kangaroo mince mixed in too.

I've tried giving her more than a tablespoon twice daily and she starts getting fat, so I don't really question the amount she's getting because it seems to work for her just fine. :shrug:

She's just weird like that :laugh:

Regardless of the ingredients listed on the packet, I have found Royal Canin dogfood across the range to be very well tolerated by every dog that I have given it to.

I have one on RC Hypoallergenic but that is because she has IBD.

Other than that every dog that I have given their normal dry dogfood to has always done well on it which is more than I can say about some of the other premium dogfoods.

I think you have to judge a food by the results you get....and don't let your dog read the ingredients on the side of the packet!!!

Howie my Whippet made choosing Royal Canin very simple. It is the ONLY premium kibble that he will eat with gusto every time.

The two young Whippets are on RC Medium Junior and the three poodles are on Mini Mature 8+. I understand RC will be bringing out a 12+ soon. :)

It's fed by a lot of folk I respect and my dogs do well on it. So I'll keep feeding it. :shrug:

I tried Wellness and it made him sick. He currently has Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream but the kibble size is a bit large for a small dog IMO and I would like something I don't have to order online and is available at the pet store.

Our other three dogs (and the kitten) are on Wellness, haven't had any problems. Carl in particular likes it, the other two are walking garbage cans and will eat anything. But we have had a few customer complaints at work about it making the dog sick on either end :(

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought Royal Canin was one of the premium kibbles? This is the ingredient list for their "Dermacomfort" kibble. I can't see much meat in there besides some liver way down the list.

It appears to be mostly low grade fillers - has anyone used this particular food?

COMPOSITION: rice, wheat gluten*, animal fats, wheat, maize gluten, maize, husked oats, hydrolysed poultry liver, minerals, soya oil, beet pulp, fish oil (source of EPA and DHA), flax seeds (source of omega 3), fructo-oligo-saccharides, borage oil (source of gamma-linolenic acid), marigold extract (source of lutein). ADDITIVES (per kg): Nutritional additives: Vitamin A: 30500 IU, Vitamin D3: 800 IU, E1 (Iron): 55 mg, E2 (Iodine): 5.5 mg, E4 (Copper): 11 mg, E5 (Manganese): 71 mg, E6 (Zinc): 214 mg, E8 (Selenium): 0.12 mg - Technologi additives: Pentasodium triphosphate: 3.5 g - Preservatives - Antioxidants. ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS: Protein: 26% - Fat content: 17% - Crude ash: 5.4% - Crude fibres: 1.4% - Per kg: Omega 6 fatty acids: 35.2 g including gamma-linolenic acid: 0.3 g - Omega 3 fatty acids: 10.5 g including EPA and DHA: 4.2 g. *L.I.P.: protein selected for its very high assimilation.

I am yet to find a super premium dry food that is worth purchasing, I have analysed the label of royal canin, and various other dry foods in the $70 to $140 per large bag and not one of them is worth the money, the best value for money I have found in Optimum it's nutritional value is extremely close to the expensive dry food, this is my personal choice for dry food and I only use it as training food and treats. I feed my dogs home made raw food with additional supplements added to ensure they stay healthy. P.s olive oil is a great source of omega 3 and 6

I always thought Royal Canin was one of the premium kibbles? This is the ingredient list for their "Dermacomfort" kibble. I can't see much meat in there besides some liver way down the list.

It appears to be mostly low grade fillers - has anyone used this particular food?

COMPOSITION: rice, wheat gluten*, animal fats, wheat, maize gluten, maize, husked oats, hydrolysed poultry liver, minerals, soya oil, beet pulp, fish oil (source of EPA and DHA), flax seeds (source of omega 3), fructo-oligo-saccharides, borage oil (source of gamma-linolenic acid), marigold extract (source of lutein). ADDITIVES (per kg): Nutritional additives: Vitamin A: 30500 IU, Vitamin D3: 800 IU, E1 (Iron): 55 mg, E2 (Iodine): 5.5 mg, E4 (Copper): 11 mg, E5 (Manganese): 71 mg, E6 (Zinc): 214 mg, E8 (Selenium): 0.12 mg - Technologi additives: Pentasodium triphosphate: 3.5 g - Preservatives - Antioxidants. ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS: Protein: 26% - Fat content: 17% - Crude ash: 5.4% - Crude fibres: 1.4% - Per kg: Omega 6 fatty acids: 35.2 g including gamma-linolenic acid: 0.3 g - Omega 3 fatty acids: 10.5 g including EPA and DHA: 4.2 g. *L.I.P.: protein selected for its very high assimilation.

I am yet to find a super premium dry food that is worth purchasing, I have analysed the label of royal canin, and various other dry foods in the $70 to $140 per large bag and not one of them is worth the money, the best value for money I have found in Optimum it's nutritional value is extremely close to the expensive dry food, this is my personal choice for dry food and I only use it as training food and treats. I feed my dogs home made raw food with additional supplements added to ensure they stay healthy. P.s olive oil is a great source of omega 3 and 6

Optimun was the worse product we have ever used

We can all analyze but the dogs have the final say .the perfect product is what suits that individual dog

Edited by showdog

Showdog,

I said optimum is the best value for money compared to super premium dry food, and I have to disagree with dogs have the final say, that is just silly, my children would eat junk food all day every day if I didn't give then guidance as a responsible parent. Dogs need guidance too.

P.s I see you are overseas, I'm talking about optimum that is endorsed by dr chris brown. And made in Australia

Edited by Crowley

Showdog,

I said optimum is the best value for money compared to super premium dry food, and I have to disagree with dogs have the final say, that is just silly, my children would eat junk food all day every day if I didn't give then guidance as a responsible parent. Dogs need guidance too.

P.s I see you are overseas, I'm talking about optimum that is endorsed by dr chris brown. And made in Australia

Showdog lives in WA.

I think when she said that "dogs have the final say" she was talking about what they do best on. Also doesn't matter how good the food is on paper if your dog won't eat it.

If you don't actually feed it to your dogs as a part of their every day diet, why do you rate Optimum so highly? You don't rate Royal Canin. That's fine but have you actually ever fed it? I don't get the need to disparage a product you've never fed. :confused:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Showdog,

Showdog lives in WA.

I think when she said that "dogs have the final say" she was talking about what they do best on. Also doesn't matter how good the food is on paper if your dog won't eat it.

If you don't actually feed it to your dogs as a part of their every day diet, why do you rate Optimum so highly? You don't rate Royal Canin. That's fine but have you actually ever fed it? I don't get the need to disparage a product you've never fed. :confused:

Sorry there has been a misunderstanding, my point is that every super premium dry food I've looked at is over priced based on 2 things, 1 dry food A sells for $130.00 in Australia and sells for $60.00 in the USA and has a nutrition value of 9/10 . 2 dry food B sells for $60.00 in Australia and has a nutrition value of 8.9/10. The public are paying too much for these dry dog foods because they are not doing research . I totally understand that like me everyone wants to feed their dog the best, BUT sadly price $ is not a indication of quality, and the pet food industry is a gold mine to make money because we love our pets and want the best for them.

Sorry there has been a misunderstanding, my point is that every super premium dry food I've looked at is over priced based on 2 things, 1 dry food A sells for $130.00 in Australia and sells for $60.00 in the USA and has a nutrition value of 9/10 . 2 dry food B sells for $60.00 in Australia and has a nutrition value of 8.9/10. The public are paying too much for these dry dog foods because they are not doing research . I totally understand that like me everyone wants to feed their dog the best, BUT sadly price $ is not a indication of quality, and the pet food industry is a gold mine to make money because we love our pets and want the best for them.

I pay less than $100 a bag for Royal Canin. As it is imported of course it costs more than in its country of origin. But my dogs do very well on it and find it highly palatable - isn't that "value for money", particularly when I can feed far less of it than some other foods?

Please don't suggest that everyone who chooses to feed super premiums hasn't done their research - many of us have, often by talking amongst ourselves about what works for particular breeds. As I said earlier in the thread, RC is popular with sighthound people although I also know sighthound folk who feed Optimum - but not many.

And frankly not every pet owner wants to feed their dog the best - for a lot of folk cost is more important than quality - a very short sighted view in my opinion. I can think of one person I know who battles constant ear infections in her dogs but refuses to feed anything but Supercoat. :shrug:

Feed what you wish - but it should be possible to do that without suggesting that those who feed something else have no idea what they're doing and are being ripped off.

Exactly Haredown! Thank you for putting it so eloquently...

Just as an aside, I'm not sure why the fact that Optimum is endorsed by a "celebrity" (I.e. he gets paid to feature in their ads) makes it more legit in your eyes Crowley?

Exactly Haredown! Thank you for putting it so eloquently...

Just as an aside, I'm not sure why the fact that Optimum is endorsed by a "celebrity" (I.e. he gets paid to feature in their ads) makes it more legit in your eyes Crowley?

[/quote/]

I highly doubt he would even feed his dog this food. Its just like dr harry being paid to promote super coat, doesnt mean its a better food than the super premiums.

I feed my dogs raw and use optimum as treats and for training, because I'm not going to carry chicken wings around Did u all get that I feed my dogs raw food and where do u get that I think because dr brown endorsed optimum that I think it is better, u need to read my posts in full. My intention was to simply make people aware that the high prices being paid for super premium dry food is not worth the money you are parting with, it's not rocket science just compare the ingredients and price

Edited by Crowley

I'm surprised the food in the OP (sorry to get back to topic!) has wheat gluten in it when it is a known cause of skin problems for some dogs and yet this is being sold as a food for skin problems?? :eek:

I'm surprised the food in the OP (sorry to get back to topic!) has wheat gluten in it when it is a known cause of skin problems for some dogs and yet this is being sold as a food for skin problems?? :eek:

Becks yep we looked at the range the other day for someone & said i wouldn't bother .

Crowley i do feed the best & that is the one that agrees with my breed & the dogs.They have the final choice because it has to suit them ,no sane dog owner feeds foods that doesn't agree (well i don't ) so you can research till the cows come home but if it doesn't suit the dog/s then it makes no difference.

Diet is a fickle thing & some thrive on the basics & others don't,

We have feed Optimum & it did not under any circumstances agree with our dogs so it wouldn't matter how much it cost or where it was made & who does the fancy adds we can not feed it I don't buy any product because a celebrity sells it,

You may not feed what i do you may not agree with my diet choice but i like many research & then decide how it suits the dogs .

I'll tell you why the ingredients look so poor and I questioned the product too when I first saw it. It's not just 'whole' ingredients that go into Royal Canin like other dog foods do. What they do is take the proteins in the main ingredients and chop them up so the body does not recognise them anymore as an allergen. It's not the cheapest process to do hence the price of the food, and why so many dogs can tolerate it.

I'll tell you why the ingredients look so poor and I questioned the product too when I first saw it. It's not just 'whole' ingredients that go into Royal Canin like other dog foods do. What they do is take the proteins in the main ingredients and chop them up so the body does not recognise them anymore as an allergen. It's not the cheapest process to do hence the price of the food, and why so many dogs can tolerate it.

Thanks for that info, and that being the case I understand the reason why it maybe easier to digest for some dogs.