Feeding; Exercising

do you walk your dog before or after a walk?

if you walk your dog in the morning, when did you last feed it?

if your dog hasn't eaten since say 8pm the night before, is it okay to take it on say a 45 minute walk at say 9am the next morning?

i feed my dogs twice a day and i'm grappling with whether i can [or should] walk them before or after they eat [if i walk them in the morning and before they eat, it'd likely be about 12 hours since they ate anything].

thanks for your help :)

Edited by Skruffy n Flea

I walk them before food, always, and wouldn't worry at all about walking or exercising them if they hadn't eaten since the night before. In fact, mine get one meal a day usually (at night) and get walked when I get home from work, before their dinner. So they've usually gone almost 24 hours without eating. That said, they get treats on their walk or at the park.

It is more important to give your dogs time to digest food before exercise if they're larger, because of the risk of bloat. I have a toy and small dog so the risk of that is slim to none, but I'm still paranoid. Bloat is a deadly, deadly thing and a horrible way to die, and some breeds (particularly giant breeds) are much more prone than others. I'd suggest being very careful about too much exercise too soon after dinner, regardless, though :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I feed my Cavalier at 6pm and then we go for a walk the nect morning any time between 6 and 8am.

She also has a stroll about 8pm in Summer, when it is cooler. In winter we go for her second walk about 5pm, and have never had any problems

I was walking mine before they ate, but I have just recently thrown the routine on it's head to save my sanity pretty much. So now the moment I walk in the door we all eat dinner. Then probably about an hour later we go for a walk. Mine do get their food split over 2 meals so each meal isn't massive. I don't know if an hour-ish is long enough to wait but it seems to have been going ok so far. And it seems to be working better for me (they're ready to sleep when we get home, as am i!!!).

I walk first, and now I wait 2 hrs after exercising to feed them, especially as Diesel has recently had torsion.

Having lost my boy to GDV I agree with this. Definitely no exercise 2 hours before and after feeding time - it's just not worth the risk (loss)

Edited by gsdog2

My dogs get breakfast around 3-4am and I would normally walk them anywhere from 8am onwards. They get dinner at around 6pm. I never walk them after dinner and if they do go out in the arvo I push dinner time back. No exercise two hours before or after a meal as I'm paranoid about bloat.

I have a question about no exercise 2hrs before or after a feed. My kids are very active all on their own and will run around the yard willy nilly. If I was to wait for them to have no exercise at all before a meal I'm not sure they'd likely ever get fed. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have a question too. It makes sense to me to not exercise them for a period of time after they have eaten, while the food is new to their gut and moving through etc, but I do not understand the theory behind why you shouldn't exercise them for 2 hours before eating.

We usually got for a walk and then they have breakfast or dinner. Not straight away, but I don't wait 2 hours. I usually wait til they are no longer panting and have completely settled down, probably about 30 mins on a normal day.

I have a question about no exercise 2hrs before or after a feed. My kids are very active all on their own and will run around the yard willy nilly. If I was to wait for them to have no exercise at all before a meal I'm not sure they'd likely ever get fed. Does anyone else have this problem?

even with people and swimming I remember being told 1hr either side of eating.

I keep mine in the house for a period of time before being fed :) and mine are older now so don't run around the yard doing zoomies. I didn't used to worry quite so much, always ended up being a certain amount of time due to my schedule, but now that my GSD has had torsion and his spleen removed, I am being much more careful.

I also wait till my dogs have been settled for an hr before I feed a meal, and wait at least an hour until I exercise. I do feed very small meals at flyball for energy but make sure its something that small that will be digested quickly (ie watermelon).

Apart from that I dont have a routine so they get fed twice a day at whatever time I remember am strongly reminded

I have breeds predisposed to blaot so we feed when its quite time but we have no set time .

The kennels are feed during our closed time to minimize the bloat risk.

I am not paranoid about bloat but take a common sense precaution approach but i don't restrict exercise before or after but i do restrict over the top playing

Walking your dog after a meal is actually good for them - it's an unfortunate myth that has spread across the decades that you shouldn't exercise your dogs within certain periods before or after feeding.....and this coming from a bloat prone breed owner.

Walking aids in digestion. If your dog is likely to have higher activity levels such as running etc. then sure wait 30-60 minutes before and after feeds.

I walk first, and now I wait 2 hrs after exercising to feed them, especially as Diesel has recently had torsion.

Having lost my boy to GDV I agree with this. Definitely no exercise 2 hours before and after feeding time - it's just not worth the risk (loss)

Clinical studies don't state this is correct, in fact the 2 main studies conflict on their findings for exercise around meal times.

Most Dane owners who have experienced Bloat and/or GDV haven't found that any of the typical theories/precautions mattered....alot of Dane folk seem to agree that if a dog is going to bloat then it's going to bloat and there's not alot we can do to prevent it - having known a number of Dane owners whose Danes have bloated it seems to be the case.

Edited by sas

Clinical studies don't state this is correct, in fact the 2 main studies conflict on their findings for exercise around meal times.

Most Dane owners who have experienced Bloat and/or GDV haven't found that any of the typical theories/precautions mattered....alot of Dane folk seem to agree that if a dog is going to bloat then it's going to bloat and there's not alot we can do to prevent it - having known a number of Dane owners whose Danes have bloated it seems to be the case.

Having fostered a RAAF MWD puppy and being warned not to exercise him before or after feeding and having also experienced the loss of a dog first-hand due to GDV I'm not going to risk another dog when it's not necessary. I understand it's not the only cause as the boy I lost had not been exercised before or after feeding. However, I fostered my MWD puppy after losing my shepherd so I had many questions regarding GDV for my liaison officer (the RAAF are very experienced when it comes to the GSD breed) and no exercise before or after meals was the advice given :)

Edited by gsdog2