Sleep Howling

TikaAkita

Aren't Akitas a dog that howls anyway? or am I thinking of a different breed? :)

Tika very rarely barks which I know is a breed thing, but I'm not sure that they are more likely to howl than other breeds. I would have to say she barks nearly as rarely as she howls. I reckon I've heard her bark about 10 seperate times and howl 4 times ever.

Interestingly Lewis is very quiet while awake but the noisiest when asleep, he has done small howls but mainly yipping, paddling and growling- which can be very loud!!!

Rommi rarely does it but it is yipping and growling for her, never howling :)

Tarja has never howled in her sleep, and has probably done it 3 times in her life awake. She is often qute active when she dreams, though, with the muffled woofs and growls, paddling and eye and whisker flickers. The first time she did it was hilarious: she growled repeatedly, getting louder and louder but fading at the end of each growl, exactly as if she were imitating a revving motor. Mr LH and I got the giggles after the initial "WTF was that?!" wake-up moment.

Mine howl in their sleep very rarely, it's a primitve eerie mournful sound isn't it.

This has exactly described Cooper, he doesn't do it all the time but when he does especially in the middle of the night it is scary. The very first he done it, (years ago now) I literally felt like I was going to have a heart attack, it gave me such a fright and I couldn't wake him up, it was awful. I didn't want to rouse him awake and give him a fright and doing it gently just wasn't working. After what seemed like an eternity (in reallity probly only about 20 seconds) he finally woke up. The sound kind of has a siren quality to it.

Cooper also yips in his sleep, like he does if he is chasing a rabbit. :laugh: and sometimes it is like he is crying in his sleep.

None of my other three do it. But Lacy snores. :rofl:

I often wonder that Jules, Cooper has probably only ever done the really awful mournful howl 5 times in his life and I wonder what sets it off. The yipping is frequent and I think it is just dreaming.

Two of mine do, very eerie and kinda cool, it's the only time I ever get to hear them howl. My little girl does it more, sometimes gets so into she wakes herself up and looks around kinda confused :laugh: Her father is more quiet but I've heard him do it a few times as well.

Funny thing is both of them are extremely quiet when awake, they are definately more vocal when asleep :laugh:

Mine don't howl either but occasionally they make cute snuffling noises and 'pedal' in their sleep - not so cute at 2 am though! I think the littlest Westie barked in his sleep once and frightened both of us!

I have a pedaller too sometimes! He gets weird hiccups too.

Bizkit the Sleep Walking Dog :laugh:

Edited by mel_