Cooper - Mangey Boy From Coota - Bitten By Brown Snake

Hi all,

Poor Cooper the lovely boy everyone was desperate to save that we took from Cootamundra pound with suspected mange over a month ago who has finally recovered from what we have had diagnosed as extensive flea allergy dermatitis and had a wonderful family coming to meet him this weekend has just been bitten by a brown snake this morning.

We suspect Stuart - one who has just been rehomed but was back for a holiday may be have been bitten too as he as excessively salivating not long after. His bloods have been tested and all ok at the time but who knows.

Please keep them both in your thoughts - they were both rushed to vets asap - he was given a $1200 anitvenom and we are watching him and Stuart at vets closely.

We are also keeping an eye on the other dogs that were around at the time too. :(

Please cross your fingers for them both.

Andrea.

Edited by Just Andrea

Thanks everyone.

Looks like Stuart has been lucky and doesn't look to have been bitten, the bloods suggested the same too - he is going back to his home today - ironically he was over only back in care briefly because his owner went away and then got very ill so had to delay his pickup for a week and just happened to be there at the wrong time - but looks we were lucky with him.

Cooper was found to have bites in his mouth and he was seen to be bitten so had the antivenom quickly and it looks like my carer acted quick enough getting him to the vet to get it into him and so far so good he seems to have pulled through to date. No-one else seems to have been bitten which is very lucky indeed.

One of our resident fosters Gus (terrier blend....what a surpirse :laugh: ) has been hunting them out I have been told and we suspect this is how the dogs when off for a walk friday morning, have "come across" one again............he has just been shipped back into suburbia at the weekend where he can do more harm LOL.

That is very kind and generous of you huntrox as always.

Fingers crossed it stays that way but hopefully we are out of the woods with both of them now.

Edited by Just Andrea

Good news about Stuart Andrea and positive-looking news for Coop. :thumbsup:

Terriers.......yes, they are into everything! We have a 'flush em and rush em' team thing going on here which I'm trying hard to discourage and avoid. Terrier sniffs it and Cattle Dog biffs it. :eek: Not doing my blood pressure any good at all. Fortunately so far it has mainly been rabbits that have foolishly come into the house yard. We don't go into the paddocks this time of the year with the dogs.

S

While its good news, we now have to limit his activity for a while as he is at greater risk of a heart attack apparently. His bits were coming off too at vets now that his skin condition has been cleared prior to his meeting but now that has been delayed also as has the meeting and potential home sadly. Vet won't desex at the moment - just too risky and wants to wait several weeks and also wants to do bloods before he puts him under understandably just to make sure.

Bit of a snag but at least he is alive and well. Hope it stays that way.

Yes I'm sure Gus found the snake and the others then joined in - Cooper is just the unlucky one who was within range and copped it. Bit like your duo. Fingers crossed he stays well.

Cheers.

Edited by Just Andrea

• 3 weeks later...