Doggy Smell In Your House

dogsforjane

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crickets is spot on with the mouth with cockers, the stench can get quite bad in the warmer months. I use F10 wipes, and the vet recommended keeping zinc/castor oil cream on it to provide a barrier.

I was told as long as a good quality shampoo is used, a weekly bath is not a problem. Most showdogs are washed weekly for the ring without problem. Also, diet can make a big difference to the smell. That said, I have one that tends to smell and need bathing more than the other. She just happens to be black and white :) The gold & white is far less smelly. :thumbsup:

I don't have any carpets, in the bedroom a small rubber backed mat next to the bed which I spray with a carpet dry shampoo about once a week. Leather lounge has a blanket and sheet over that, sheet washed every second day. Smooch gets bathed once a week, if he does start to smell a little in under a week I bath him with conditioner only. The other dog is only allowed in the shed as he thinks its a good idea to lay on Smoochies toilet so he smells of pee most of the time, and Smoochies pee is quite strong smelling due to his disibility.

I have asked non dogie people and they say my place doesn't smell.

I use odour go. Diluted in spray bottles, one part to six. My dog is not a smelly dog,,, but I like a fresh smelling house, as when I vacuum I can smell the old dog hair. Odour go is a natural product made from a blend of essential oils that bonds with the odour and is not a 'cover-up'. I use it in the rinse cycle when I do washing, I wash floors, toilets and pour it down drains, and spray the carpet and lounges, beds (human and dog) with it,,,,, clothing, car, and can even wipe the fridge as it is a natural disinfectant. . It last a very long time and I love the stuff. I just reordered the talc scent in a 5 litre bottle. This will last me approx 3 yrs and I use it a lot. It is safe for pets, and generally used in industrial cleaning industries, hospitals and motels. My link

Guest Maeby Fünke

I meant earlier that I clean my house, of course, but I love my stinky Pug's smell and I don't do anything extra about it :laugh:

My car's bad too. I really notice the pong after I finish my courier shift - I get out of a nice clean car and into mine and I swear I can almost feel the dirt in the air cling to me. So I usually drive home gagging with the windows down. Any other time I don't notice it.

The smell blindness thing fascinates me...

We have wooden floors which helps with the dog smell; these are vacuumed weekly.

The front door is opened as much as possible allowing the screen door to do its job and we have candles going pretty much all the time. Also the dog beds are washed regularly as well as the pooches.

Both my sister and mother who are fussy, comment that the house does not smell like dog at all.

The same as this, except I vacuum daily (Roomba is a godsend).

The dogs are groomed fortnightly, their beds are washed up to 2 times per week and I don't allow them on furnishings. I burn candles and I clean up any messes immediately and thankfully, having adult dogs, this isn't very often.

Airing your house is also very important.

A Roomba sounds like a great idea...but I need one to go upstairs. Also, I think the dogs would go nuts if that came on each day, it would probably get chewed and peed on (the dogs are inside/outside dogs).

2 dogs both non shedding and poodle wool does not seem to be odourous, other dog who has constant ongoing foot problem gives off a horrible smell at times, both dogs in house nearly 70% of time. Polished wood floors one small carpet area which I sprinkle the carpet deordorant on daily, vacum every couple days, bath dogs weekly apply coat colonge to older dog with more of odour problem.

Have cut an old double doona into 4 segments and sewn edges and put inside covers, these get rotated daily (they sleep on them)so one in wash one drying one for sleeping etc. Also have vanilla scent spray pack and if I am getting visitors I spray it around liberally. Have vanilla scented car deodoriser as well.

I do not notice any odour as such in my house when I come in after work and it has been locked up all day, and never had anyone comment about smell, have actually had people say they were surprised that there was no smell. So maybe because puppy is in such confined space as well as food source can make them smell, try using chlorophyll tablets as this absorbs odours just pop into food of dog.

We have eight dogs and three cats all of whom have free range of the house. I also have two pet minipigs who sleep inside at night and, at the moment, two brooder cages full of chicks. I bet my house pongs! BUT... I don't care. If someone is offended by the way my house looks/smells, then I have a suggestion: DON'T VISIT ME!

I do clean (from time to time :laugh: ) and we have absolutely no carpets or rugs, the only soft furnishings are one lounge suite, our bed, and the dog's beds. Even the dining room chairs are non-fabric.

My friends know me and love me for me, not what my house smells or looks like.

Making sure the house is well aired is a big help. It gets smellier when it is closed up in winter, so on nice days even in winter we try and open the windows and doors for a while to make sure the house breathes.

I add lavender oil to the water when I mop the floors (soluble kind from the cleaning aisle in the supermarket)

I also add it to the rag when dusting/wiping down furniture.

I spray frebreeze (or similar) on soft furnishings and carpets after vaccuming.

Change/wash bedding and soft furnishings regularly.

My house doesn't always smell perfect, but I have found this all helps!

Also brush the dog regularly - regular brushing helps keep odours down in the coat just as much if not more that bathing.

As mentioned, also check for specific issues such as ears and lip folds which can cause an odour, and diet can also be an issue. Some foods do make a dog stink more.

Guest crickets

My breed doesn't smell doggy anyway so the house usually doesn't smell like dog unless the Lab has been inside, then it stinks. But more then anything else it smells of cat and I hate it :mad

x1 to cat smell lol !! I dry reach at the thought of it. :vomit:

I find that vacuuming and moping on a daily basis helps a lot. When I mop I use a mixture of vinegar and water which gets rid of the odour. On carpet, about once a fortnight I sprinkle bicarbonate of soda, leave overnight and vacuum the next day to get rid of odour.

Now when my family comes to visit, I always ask them if they smell any pet odours when walking in and no one smells anything which is good news! Also, when I wipe down the house, I use the vinegar and water spray too, natural and pet friendly. :)

I read on the internet that apple cider vinegar with water (half and half)

neutralises doggy smell

I sprayed my dog and my sibling who is extremely sensitive to doggy smells

for the first time said he can't smell him.

I've gone down the apple cider vinegar route as well, but can't stand the smell :laugh: :laugh:

My non-doggy friend came over once and said she had to tell me something, as a friend. She said my house has a doggy smell to it. I was so embarrassed. I said maybe its because the last couple of weeks have been wet and the dogs were coming in wet and getting on their beds in the laundry. She said no, its all the time. :eek:

I moved the dog's beds to the garage which is still attached to the house but bigger and more airy. I air the house out as much as possible. I do the floors more often now - I vacuum and then mop with bleach and eucalyptus. I always mop before this friend comes over and she often comments that the house smells nice and fresh and clean. I think she felt bad.

After a recent visit to a house that was something straight out of animal hoarders I am no longer worried about my house at all.