A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

We don't let Dory out of her crate until she quietens down. ie lays down and relaxes. So sometimes she is stuck in there for another 10-15mins after we get home. She like to push the boundaries even as a 5-ish year old dog. Ditto dinner time, if Dory is pestering for dinner she gets nothing until she lays down and relaxes. She has a really nifty trick of laying down and 'looking' like she's relaxed but you can see her quivering with every sound and movement. If I shift my feet she bolts upright thinking I'm going to feed her....nope...she has to be RELAXED. One night she was so bad we nearly went to bed without feeding her, fortunately she chilled out 10mins before bedtime and got fed. :laugh:

We'll be doing the same with Wilow, from scratch.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dory, I'm following along those lines, he gets nothing rewarding unless he's quiet and calm. I hope I'm not bring overly harsh on him...

It's amazing, he stops from one second to the next. He's turned around and gone to sleep in his crate.

He's so cute and handsome!

I'll have to find out which places around Canberra are pet friendly. Saw loads in Melbourne but not here yet. I know my breeder took Louis into Kmart after his vet visit and someone thought his whimpering was a ringtone! Good because pets are not allowed there...

Okay - I'm here - thanks for the push Melina :thumbsup: Those baby puppies look adorable .... Louis is just so cute and Tank is adorable - I love his face!

Not sure if too many people know me, so a quick intro - I'm Yvonne - baby Banjo is a Maltese and is 13 weeks this Thursday - we've had him since 8 weeks (picked him up Anzac Day.

We are having the usual puppy settling in issues, so it has been interesting to read through some of this thread ..... I don't feel so alone now :laugh:

post-48792-0-74204700-1369644505_thumb.jpg

LOL - yeah, there's a certain amount of cute factor there which is probably why he gets away with waaaaay too much! I can't believe how much he has grown in the 5 weeks we have had him though. How much does Louis weigh? He must have been tiny!

He was about 150g at birth - not sure at 8 weeks because I didn't think to weigh him then but have the last couple of weeks. At 12 weeks he was 1780g. I am told that full grown he shouldn't exceed 3.5 - 4kg. My last little fellow was a Maltese cross and he was about 5kg. How is you housetraining going? We went forward in leaps and bounds but the last few days have gone backwards - not sure what I am doing wrong .....

Online charts put his adult weight at about 2.7kg, but breeder reckons he'll only be about 2kg. A bit smaller than I would like, but on the plus side - highly portable!

We are also going backwards with the toilet training. He knew newspaper = toilet, but it seems being here he's not completely convinced that everything else is off-limits. We're going back to step one and watching him like a hawk ;)

Such teeny tiny pups! Nacho is a giant Chihuahua at 2kg :laugh: , Moose is 4 years old and 2.7 so not sure how big Nacho will end up being. I do like that he's a bit more robust though!

Here he is doing his latest trick. :)

Have those of you with toiletting issues considered the cold weather as a cause for backsliding?

Princess Dory, doesn't WON'T go out if it is raining. We have to kick her out. Physically pick her up and put her outside. :laugh: And then she just poops under the washing line which is under the verandah. (Willow had better not be such a Princess.)

Nacho is adorable too! He is very cleve - I can't get Banjo to do tricks yet but we have had our second puppy preschool session last Saturday and he is going okay. He does "sit" nicely andmif there is a treat involved and its not delivered quick enough he promptly gets back up and sits again LOL! It's so cute.

Glad I am not the only one with toileting issues - Banjo was pretty much house trained using pee pads because that is what his breeder used, so I continued so as to not confuse him - we had one inside the house (family room) and one outside. He pretty much used the, both reliably so a week or so ago we removed the indoor one and now he intermittently uses the outdoor one for wees but seems to prefer the tiled bathroom floor, bath mat or near the front door. Luckily he chooses easily cleaned surfaces. He is reliable for poos and always uses either the grass or his outdoor pee pad. I am thinking that I might put the indoor pee pad back and see if that makes a difference - perhaps I took it away too soon. Dory - I had wondered if it was the colder weather now here in Sydney but its only wees we are having a problem with so not sure.

Cassie - we have actually lost Banjo once or twice - when he decided to take a nap behind the corner couch where I store extra cushions - snuggled under there and fast asleep ( and teeny tiny at the time) we couldn't find him until hubby saw a fluffy tail sticking out from under the cushions!!! We quickly blocked off access to small spaces!!

Tank was 3.0kg when he was weight exactly two weeks ago at the vet when he had his C3 (at 8 weeks, 2 days). I just put him on the scales this morning and it said 3.7kg. Is that about right? He's just over 10 weeks so has put on 700g in two weeks. I am looking forward to his vet visit next Friday - hopefully he's all on track.