A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just gave Tank his first ever bone. He hasn't even looked at me for 45 minutes.

What kind of bone did you get? I've never given Banjo a bone yet- so wondered what was the "right" kind? He's a maltese, so tiny mouth and I am paranoid about choking. Our last Maltese X nearly choked to death on a chicken neck that gave me such a fright that I was never confident to give another bone EVER, but I think he'd love it!

Nova gets a 3rd of a turkey neck most days (they are HUGE!). He's also had a big cut open beef shin bone. Before all of this his breeder advised giving him chicken frames first until he realised he must chew things and not swallow them.

I won't give chicken necks, way too small and easily chocked on for my liking.

Well had every intention of crate training Bailey as soon as we got her home, but OH NOOOO! hubby puts her to bed in our bed every night. Don't know what he is going to do in another 7 weeks when puppy number two comes along.

Haha. We let tank fall asleep in our bed then straight into the crate once his lovely snoring starts......!

tried that but hubby feels sorry for her as she is like a taking a sleeping baby out of a car, guarantee to wake up as soon as you try and lay them down into their own bed.

Well had every intention of crate training Bailey as soon as we got her home, but OH NOOOO! hubby puts her to bed in our bed every night. Don't know what he is going to do in another 7 weeks when puppy number two comes along.

LOL .... We learned this the hard way with our dearly departed Winston and swore that Banjo would be crated from day 1 - best thing we ever did - but gotta admit sometimes on cold nights I want to have him snuggled in our warm bed with us too - but so far have resisted the temptation .... Don't want to start bad habits!!!

LOL .... We learned this the hard way with our dearly departed Winston and swore that Banjo would be crated from day 1 - best thing we ever did - but gotta admit sometimes on cold nights I want to have him snuggled in our warm bed with us too - but so far have resisted the temptation .... Don't want to start bad habits!!!

our other two were crate trained but the big softy who wanted no more dogs has caved big time

Banjo ignores his breakfast and dinner on a regular basis, but will graze on it over a couple of hours .... Got the can of sardines and am going to mix that with his kibble tonight and see if he changes his attitude!

Boxbright - you definitely decided to get the 2nd pup?! That's so exciting!!

Pretty hilarious your hubby has turned into the softy though :) I swore we would never have our pup in our bedroom at all, but a month with negligible sleep took care of that. He does sleep in his crate or bed on our floor though.

Smash - definitely try a new food - we persevered for ages with Nixon on Eukanuba, but I wished we'd tried something else sooner. He would eat it eventually - but he would much rather just play with it... As soon as we gave him Royal Canin he loved it, and finally looks excited when you feed him, and it's usually demolished in seconds. The only downside is he then roams around looking starving because he wants more, and licking up random bits of dust or leaves from the floor (which says much about the state of our loungeroom at the moment).

I walked past Nixon's kennel this morning about a minute after I gave him his kongs, and he was making the most ridiculous whining/whimpering noises! The uninitiated would have thought he was getting tortured in there rather than being given a fantastic treat! Extreme levels of excitement I think :)

Willow went a bit iffy with her food for a couple of weeks, it was so frustrating! She'd sit and look at it for about 15mins before she would nibble at it, all the while with Dory and Bungee (cat) staring at her like, "Are you going to eat that nice tasty chicken wing? Cos if not, we'll have it."

The look on her face was like I was feeding her the worst garbage. (yeah, chicken wings and nice fresh vegies with fresh chicken mince [adelaide pets, very good quality!], or nice fresh meaty lamb bones etc.)

She has NO problems with her appetite at the moment. Quite the opposite, she's usually pushing me for her meals now. (Although I can do less with the bashing at the kitchen door thanks! Full body, Rottie blows...AWESOME. :laugh:)

I'm not sure, most other baby Aussie's I've seen aren't that fluffy or thick! I'll see his breeder and sister first weekend of August so I'll find out then.

Edited by LisaCC