A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I whinge a lot when it comes to training Treble bit tonight I am so thankful he is here. He started barking like I have never heard him before, So I went out the front with him on a lead and he went off his head at 2 teenagers who were hanging around our cars our the front. They took off into the night leaving their screwdiver in the key hole of one of our cars. I'm still in shock about the whole thing.

--Lhok

Hi hi :) *waves*

Fairly new to the forums. Just loooove showing off pics of our furbabies.

I lost my beloved best friend, Zeke, a rottie/ridgy mix, to a cancer earlier this year at the age of 13. Ive had dogs in my life since I was a very little girl, so losing that daily responsibility had me feeling very lost.

My partner and I decided to pick a puppy each. We had only one criteria... inside dog

I chose an English SBT and my partner chose a Mini Schnauzer :D Sansa and Saxon. Currently 4mths and 5 1/2 months (all respectively) They are 6 weeks apart and a couple of adorable trouble makers... and we love them to bits!

We still separate them for the majority of the day when we're at work - only because they wrestle wrestle wrestle... Ive been getting in the habit the last few weeks of coming home in my lunch break to pop them together for the arvo. (attached is a pic of my 'puppy cam' so I can keep an eye on them). Ultimately in the summer they will be in a specially made yard outside :)

post-50085-0-68175800-1377946153_thumb.jpg

post-50085-0-39589300-1377946162_thumb.jpg

post-50085-0-67089700-1377946453_thumb.jpg

Guest hankodie

Hank has the runs really bad :( He started whining early this morning which was unusual, so I took him out but he couldn't make it to the yard before he had an accident inside :( He seemed to be straining a lot but only a little diarrhoea came out at a time? Then I put him back in his crate where he had another accident, changed the bedding and he finally got to sleep again around 4. This morning my husband took him out and he pooped a lot, but it was still quite runny. Should I be worried? He's still playful and acting very normal, he's just been chasing Odie around the house and carrying on as usual. I was going to fast him but he was crazy hungry this morning so I fed him a little bit of boiled rice and chicken which he gobbled up. He hasn't pooped again since I fed him. Should I be worried? The only thing I can think of that might have upset his stomach was some raw chicken mince I added to his food at lunch time.

Nova gets the runs a bit with raw chicken meat, but is fine with raw chicken frames and raw turkey necks.

I wouldn't be worried if they firm up a bit while feeding him a bland diet, especially as he is acting normal.

Hope he is feeling better soon. A bit of boiled and mashed pumpkin might help too :)

I know I whinge a lot when it comes to training Treble bit tonight I am so thankful he is here. He started barking like I have never heard him before, So I went out the front with him on a lead and he went off his head at 2 teenagers who were hanging around our cars our the front. They took off into the night leaving their screwdiver in the key hole of one of our cars. I'm still in shock about the whole thing.

--Lhok

well done Treble! but what a horrible thing to happen - glad Treble knew there was a problem (and as he matures I bet it will be even less likely to happen again)

Guest hankodie

Thanks Lisa & Steph, tried a bit of banana Steph and he loved it :laugh: still no poo though, worried he may have eaten something stupid but it is only 6:48 and he's acting normal (a bit wild actually!) so i'll just keep an eye on him. Just fed him so fingers crossed for some poo later today!

Two of my doggy friends came up from Brissy to see me this weekend. One stayed with me with her GSD Dexter, and the other visited on Saturday with one of her WL GSDs, Hunter. They came to my classes and we did some training after class and just chilled out in the shade for a while too. Check out Envy and Hunter playing at the start of this video. So cute. He was so gentle with her

Lhok, what a relief that Treble is shaping up to be such a wonderful guard dog!!

On saturday I took Nixon to our local school fete, and he was an absolute angel! I think it helped that it was a very hot day, so he was quite docile. He was very calm and relaxed with all the people and loud noises. When I wandered around looking at stalls he'd sit on request beautifully (no treats), and was happy to let people pat him. And in all fairness, everyone that did pat him asked first, so it was a great day all round! I was so impressed - he was such a good boy!!

It pretty much makes up for him deliberately knocking my prescription sunglasses off the kitchen bench (over 1m high) and running outside to chew on them on saturday morning when we were trying to sleep in... :( Mornings are definitely our biggest problem at the moment.

Sunday morning we got up and fed him, then shut him outside with the remains of his bone from the night before, and he proceeded to whine quietly for the next hour (ignoring the bone), until my husband caved and got up to watch some cricket, at which point he promptly sat outside and started chewing on his bone... sigh. He's fine as long as he can access us if he needs to... Not sure what to do. keep coming back to crating him overnight/early mornings again, but he's otherwise fine until about 6am when he decides we should all be up.

Lollipup, Hunter is incredible gentle. I was impressed that Envy was quite subdued too. I love Envy's colouring - will she stay with the dark face and tail and the lighter body?

Hankodie, it's funny how poo suddenly becomes such an interesting topic with a puppy. I'm glad Hank gave you a firm one to calm your nerves. I get worried when Griffin has had a slightly soft stool occasionally.

Lhok, well done to Treble! I bet that shook you up a bit! Little buggers! I hope you find a suitable harness for him. I've got no useful information for you a I'm just reading and looking at the links everyone else puts up for my own research lol

Beckybecbec, those two look like they will have loads of fun together. The photo of them in the car is very cute.

Griffin has grown so much in the month we've had him. He is spending most of his days outside now. We are home for most of the time and he lounges out in the beautiful weather between play sessions. We are happy to leave him outside for small amounts of time when we go out and he seems to cope ok which is good. The cat does tease him a bit though...

Aliwake, 0615 seems to be the time to wake in our house now. We finally got the kids trained to sleep till about 0700 and now no one gets to sleep in thanks to master Griffin. I'd love just one sleep in.... I'm not game enough to leave him alone inside - he'd get up to mischief somewhere!

I hope your glasses are too costly to repair. Cheeky Nixon :/

OMG Griffin is looking huge already! he's so cute!

We'd just started getting game to shut Nixon out of our bedroom when he got rowdy, then about 3 weeks ago he started to discover he could steal stuff that was on table and other furniture... Now we can't relax unless he's shut outside, and then the pathetic whining means you can't relax because of the guilt! I agree, a sleep in would be heaven...

Luckily I manage to get my glasses back before he damaged them much. None of the scratches are in a critical place. Generally when he takes stuff he does more exploratory chewing, so he hasn't really destroyed anything yet - unless he's stolen tissues, or paper towels or anything paper related - then it's destroyed asap!

p.s. I agree re talking poo when you have a puppy! I could go on about it for ages, but people certainly look at you strangely and try to change the subject a lot :)

Nixon had a few soft ones on the weekend for the first time since I started giving him yoghurt, so I'm mildly concerned - hopefully they firm up a bit asap. They were quite dark green coloured too, which is weird! We had our first white ones last week after giving him a really big bone too - I thought that was pretty crazy til I read somewhere on here about bones making it white - it's a relief to know why it's happening for sure!