A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Nope he hasn't stolen any nappies for a month since we set up the decoy bins. The vomit isn't a worry worry vomit, it isn't brown/black it is just a bit biley and mostly water. I know the difference now since Raiden. The vet has been calling me throughout the day since 8am this morning to see how he is doing. He also just ate his brekky and had a drink so that is a good start. He just isn't feeling well :(

I'm actually more concerned about the mucous poops, as most poops covered in a thick mucous membrane are caused by something they ate that their digestive system didn't agree with i.e milk or dairy products so I am wracking my brains as to what it could be or it could be just a one off.

--Lhok

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green to me says snail bait or rat sack, could Treble have got into any of that? Or less dangerous things are green crayons or texta's.

Hmm I didn't think of that, he isn't trembling and he has fine refill times. I might give the vets another call and see if they want to see him.

--Lhok

Keep us posted, better to know for sure rather than drive yourself mad. I know you've had a rough trot, we're all behind you so do keep us posted! Sure it'll be nothing serious and you can have a laugh after! :)

Back from the vets, Not rat sac or snail bait nor an obstruction as he did a massive poop outside the vets so they got to look at it. We are treating it as if he has eaten something that doesn't agree with him and I have some electrolytes and some metronidazole tabs for him too.

It also looks like the umbilical hernia that has been repaired twice now has appeared again so they are not sure what is exactly going on with it and that could also be causing some of the pain.

Either way Treb will be fasted tonight and will go and see the vet tomorrow.

As an aside he is also 44.4kg so he is gaining weight nicely too :D

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

Sorry to hear Treble isn't feeling well. I'd love to see some more photos of him when he is feeling better.

You mentioned a hernia. Envy has a small one, I don't remember noticing it when I picked her up and the breeder didn't notice it either but I noticed it not long after and it's still there. Not going down in size but not increasing either. Can anyone give me some info? I asked a vet who had a look at it and said to get it fixed when we spay but I'm not planning on spaying.

Sorry to hear Treble isn't feeling well. I'd love to see some more photos of him when he is feeling better.

You mentioned a hernia. Envy has a small one, I don't remember noticing it when I picked her up and the breeder didn't notice it either but I noticed it not long after and it's still there. Not going down in size but not increasing either. Can anyone give me some info? I asked a vet who had a look at it and said to get it fixed when we spay but I'm not planning on spaying.

Treble's hernia is quite large about 4 cms long and has two lump like swellings. He has had it repaired twice but from where it is located looks like it might be something funny going on when it heals. The vet I spoke to said that the quicker they are repaired the better because when the dog lays down it can cause folding or something like that I can't remember it completely.

The reason why they would probably say to get it fixed with she is spayed is that way they don't have to cut twice as they could do the spay and fix it at the same time. If you aren't planning on getting her spayed you could just get it fixed :)

--Lhok

Nova had a really small one when I got him, It's gone now. The vet said most go by 6months. There are two types, the ones not to worry about, they don't have any intestine in them, and then ones that the intestines can drop down into. Your vet should be able to tell which one it is.

You can always get it tucked in without a spay if it doesn't go away.

I'll have to get my regular vet to look at it, she is more thorough. This other vet had no idea how to approach it when I said I'm not spaying! I'm especially not doing it at 6 months, if at all. So she then said, do it when she next has an anaesthetic then for something else. Not sure how often the average pup goes under anaesthetic but.....

We think we might have found the culprit. In our backyard there is a couple of half munched Grapevine leaves and a dried branch which must have come in when the fence broke, as the vine is on the part of fence that broke in the neighbours yard.

Unless of course grapevines it isn't then it is back to the drawing board.

--Lhok