A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Of course you can :) I would've let him have a proper play with Willow if we'd already been in the ring, but, it takes me so long to wash and dry and groom :o And grass stains aren't really in the standard :o He loves a good play though! A friend of mine who has Bernese has just got a Cairn Terrier puppy, she must weigh about 3kg and Sumo thinks she is the bees knees :)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone.

Meet my new puppy Pagan. Pagan, meet Dol Community. Dol Community, meet Pagan.

I'm still trying to work out how to resize photos, so any help means more puppy pictures. :laugh:

Thats her "if butter won't melt" face.

post-27838-0-50557200-1385414006_thumb.jpg

More puppy cuteness!!!! I'm looking forward to hearing about all their adventures. (and owner misadventures. :D )

Willow got one of her tug toys last night...it was a bit adorable watching her eyes light up like a kid on Christmas morning. I opened up the parcel and she was watching me, when I pulled out the tug her eyes went REALLY wide and then next minute she was all over me. :laugh: I think she likes her tug.

I am thinking of switching his food as well - he's currently on Holistic Select Large Breed and it seems to be producing more poo than I'd like. What kibble is everyone feeding their pups? There are so many choices it's a bit overwhelming!

Just lurking in this thread, and thought I would make it more confusing by suggesting you look at a raw diet :thumbsup:

I started feeding raw about 5/6 years ago and the difference in their poo was one of the first things I noticed (say this to a non-dog person and you sound like a right weirdo :laugh: ).

Loving everyone's baby puppy pics, I will have to post some of ours when they arrive :D

I am thinking of switching his food as well - he's currently on Holistic Select Large Breed and it seems to be producing more poo than I'd like. What kibble is everyone feeding their pups? There are so many choices it's a bit overwhelming!

Just lurking in this thread, and thought I would make it more confusing by suggesting you look at a raw diet :thumbsup:

I started feeding raw about 5/6 years ago and the difference in their poo was one of the first things I noticed (say this to a non-dog person and you sound like a right weirdo :laugh: ).

Loving everyone's baby puppy pics, I will have to post some of ours when they arrive :D

But talking about poop is so interesting! laugh.gif

I'd love to see some baby Mal pics. I'm going to have to stalk the breeders litter thread!

More baby Nova?

1001346_10151567948560787_1999439661_n.jpg

Talking about "knobdogs" - people used to say to me "oh he's a retriever, they will eat anything!" and it used to confuse me, now I completely get it. In the last 2 weeks Hank's decided that if it's small enough to fit into his mouth, it's fair game. In the last 24 hours he's tried to eat his blanket, the end of a tug toy, a clothes peg, the end of my shoelace, part of my desk, tissue paper and various other household items. I don't even think I can chalk it up to teething either seeing as his adult teeth have all come through!

Oh and christmas beetles. They are everywhere at the moment. Whenever he finds one he lies on the floor and tries to play with it by gently pawing at it and putting it in his mouth, then spitting it back out. He starts growling because they tickle in his mouth (or they don't taste very good). Then when the beetle inevitably stops moving he mourns it's death by whining softly and looking to me helplessly. WTF. Either he's really sadistic and enjoys the slow kill or he's just a dumb-dumb head. I'm hoping it's the latter :laugh:

laugh.gif May be a retriever thing! I caught my old Lab "playing" ever so gently with mice that he ended up accidentally squishing. I once saw him carrying one like a puppy! He would get so upset when he realised they were dead.

This was a few months ago now. But the single most collaborative moment between dog and cat.

photo_1.jpg

Cat bought in this moth and they both sat there pawing at the poor thing til it stopped moving….then Gus ate it…

He does love eating things though, not as much as Rosie. This morning we lost a bra and Brooke’s runners….he’s unimpressed though I would like him to put them away more…

We’ve lost pen lids, bottle caps… One of Gus’s brothers just had surgery to remove a metal leash clip he chewed up and ate. It was huge! Terrors!

Time to introduce Nala...

Me and my girls

mygirls2_zpsaf62ed1e.jpg

Look into my green green eyes....(and yes I've got a cicada shell in my mouth!)

nalaingarden2_zpsf0d814e5.jpg

Nala knows she's littler than Cleo and exploits the fact! She teases her from the safety of cover.

playinggirls2_zpsf64e7b31.jpg

It was a long trip home! We got Cleo at about 3.40pm (QLD time) at Brisbane airport and we waited around at my aunties house at Mt Cotton for my sister to get home as she was flying back to Mt Isa with my new baby nephew and I didn't want to leave without saying goodbye but it was 7pm (NSW time) before we left, so we didn't get home til 1.30am!!! Nala slept the WHOLE way home :) such a good girl. Then she slept 1.30-6.30 and not a peep.

We've even had no accidents yep! I'm trying to take her out a lot though, so giving her lots of chances to do it outside. She did poop on my shoe in the car during the trip from the airport to my aunties house but she'd just been on a huge flight so I didn't mind (but god it stunk!)

haha reading back about what I said with my sister, I realize it probably makes no sense. Lol. She had her baby in my hometown, I took her back to Brissie so she could fly to Isa and she was getting a haircut yesterday, hence why I was waiting.

I will blame the sleep deprivation :)

And yes she is the most exquisite little precious thing, I do have trouble believing that it's her! She's here, she's MINE! I think she's going to do so well in the show ring, just a confident little miss! Her spotting is much better IRL too, different to the original pics I had to choose from!

Oh how exciting! I just showed Bea the pictures and she called you the fish shop girl, she is also jumping around yelling POTTS POTTS POTTS puppy so I can see how meeting Nala is going to turn out :D.

Nala looks gorgeous, so does Cleo :D

--Lhok

I was thinking the same. Willow has been in raw since I got her. And she's always had great skin, coat, ears, muscle tone. Never really went through uglies. And only had two baths since we got her. She just doesn't really get stinky. (Ok...her farts...that's another story. :laugh: )

Oh miss pagan, hope you are setting in well and not causing too much trouble. She is still a cutie love the new photo.

All the puppies in the thread are cute.

I have not found a puppy to be ugly before. :)

Pagan is adorable! Is she a lappie? I didn't realise they came in brown love.gif

Yes!

She looks like a fox in that pic! Just beautiful, I look forward to more pics of Pagan :)

She does! or a part time wolf cub or wiley coyote or a red panda. :)

But talking about poop is so interesting! laugh.gif

I'd love to see some baby Mal pics. I'm going to have to stalk the breeders litter thread!

More baby Nova?

1001346_10151567948560787_1999439661_n.jpg

Love baby Nova pics! :thumbsup:

I was thinking the same. Willow has been in raw since I got her. And she's always had great skin, coat, ears, muscle tone. Never really went through uglies. And only had two baths since we got her. She just doesn't really get stinky. (Ok...her farts...that's another story. :laugh: )

I've actually begun feeding Pagan a raw diet…it's a struggle because she only takes little mouthfuls at a time and doesn't seem to like food much!

Is there a thread on starting a puppy on raw anywhere? She is currently eating blackhawk puppy kibble, a bit of milk and we are going to try raw chicken wing for today's dinner.

I've actually begun feeding Pagan a raw diet…it's a struggle because she only takes little mouthfuls at a time and doesn't seem to like food much!

Is there a thread on starting a puppy on raw anywhere? She is currently eating blackhawk puppy kibble, a bit of milk and we are going to try raw chicken wing for today's dinner.

Willow was a bit :scared: when I first started her on raw...although she was pretty keen on chicken wings, because she had had those with her breeder as far as I know.

It took her about a week to warm to the idea, initially she'd sit there staring at the bowl with an unsure look. Have a couple of licks, then wait for the 'real' food to appear. :laugh:

For a Rottweiler she's not a big foodie (first for me), and she's still very considered before she'll eat a meal. We have found that she LOVES heart and liver, not too keen on fish, turkey is great! And chicken, well, chicken is chicken...it will do if there's no turkey. :laugh: (Oooh...and she's partial to lamb as well...mince...lamb flaps a bit ho hum, lambs tongue is... :scared:)

I didn't wean her onto raw, I just put her straight on to it. I couldn't get the food her breeder had been feeding her and didn't see the point in stressing her by giving her a different dry food, only to switch to raw...so we just switched to raw. She got a bit sickie once, got over it and was great. Although anytime I added something new we would have one sloppy poo at 2am in the morning and then she was good to go there after and tolerated the new item (mostly 'treats' we were using for training) on the next occasion they were given.