Current Vet Changed To A Greencross Vet

Cougar

This might sound odd, but here goes! So my vet has recently become part of the Greencross (group? model? franchise?) thing. It doesn't sit all that well with me for some reason, I'm not entirely sure why. The staff are mostly the same so that's good. I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else's local vet and if things changed - price increases, service changes or anything.

Hope to hear some experiences - thanks :)

A vet in Bundaberg did it around a year or so ago. They were a private clinic and then became part of Greencross. I'm not sure of the changes because I don't use that vet. But all their staff stayed the same and it seemed to mainly make a difference to their marketing.

My fave local vet changed hands to Green Cross a couple of years ago, but the staff and pricings have stayed pretty much the same.

T.

The hours changed a bit and I'm not sure all the prices are the same - seems that the newer vets are keen to charge for individual items on top of the consult fee, when they used to bung in a squirt of wound guard or a peek at an ear scrape without charging. Maybe it's because I don't have rescues anymore though. The biggest innovation brought in by Green Cross is computerisation which means our huge file isn't pulled out and hoisted up on the desk anymore.

My fave local vet changed hands to Green Cross a couple of years ago, but the staff and pricings have stayed pretty much the same.

T.

The hours changed a bit and I'm not sure all the prices are the same - seems that the newer vets are keen to charge for individual items on top of the consult fee, when they used to bung in a squirt of wound guard or a peek at an ear scrape without charging. Maybe it's because I don't have rescues anymore though. The biggest innovation brought in by Green Cross is computerisation which means our huge file isn't pulled out and hoisted up on the desk anymore.

While Karen (vet) was still there, all my rescues were still treated for no consult fee, and she still gave me huge discounts on any medications I may need that my own doggy medicine chest didn't have. I'm pretty sure that my fosters can still get free consults from our other fave vet there nowadays though.

T.

There is a fair bit of info out there about what Greencross is.

Greencross share price - From Proactive Investors Australia.

Greencross raises $11.16M via placement; adds Sydney vet hospital to its stable

Monday, February 18, 2013 by Proactive Investors

Greencross (ASX:GXL) has raised $11.164 million via placement to sophisticated and institutional shareholders, with the company keeping a keen eye on potential acquisitions.

The 3.28 million shares were placed at $3.40 a piece, representing a discount of 8% to a 30 day volume weighted average prior to close of trading on 12 February.

The placement, which was oversubscribed saw the support of existing shareholders as well as new participation by many domestic and international institutional investors.

The company remains steadfast in its target to acquire 1 to 2 new clinics per month on multiples of between 3 to 4.5 times EBIT, which will be funded through a mix of debt, free cash and vendor deferred payments.

Cash from this placement will also help with its growth strategy while also reducing its gearingg levels.

Separately, Greencross has entered into an agreement to acquire a very large veterinary hospital in Sydney for a cash consideration of $5 million.

The acquisition is likely to deliver annualised revenue and EBIT of $5.4 million and $1.1 million respectively and will be earnings per share accretive this year.

Greencross is one of Australia's leading veterinary services company and has acquired and integrated 89 practices since it was started in 2003.

Proactive Investors Australia is the market leader in producing news, articles and research reports on ASX "Small and Mid-cap" stocks with distribution in Australia, UK, North America and Hong Kong / China.

If you wanted to know more about their ethics you could find out a lot more. They did have quite an unusual staff incentive going a couple of years ago, which raised a few questions with me. But has nothing to do with the care of the dogs. Greencross routinely offer many services to dog owners and have high standards of care.

I guess it's the shareholders and business aspect of it that I'm uncomfortable with. That might sound silly considering how prevalent big businesses are these days, but I think I'm more comfortable knowing that profit would go to the person/persons who own and run the clinic - if that makes sense.

I was there yesterday and had an unimpressive experience but she was a new vet who I hadn't had before, so that's not a fair way to make a judgment call. Might start looking around though.

Actually their ethics would be something I'm interested in, might have a hunt around - thanks greytmate.

Edited by Cougar

I guess it's the shareholders and business aspect of it that I'm uncomfortable with. That might sound silly considering how prevalent big businesses are these days, but I think I'm more comfortable knowing that profit would go to the person/persons who own and run the clinic - if that makes sense.

I was there yesterday and had an unimpressive experience but she was a new vet who I hadn't had before, so that's not a fair way to make a judgment call. Might start looking around though.

Actually their ethics would be something I'm interested in, might have a hunt around - thanks greytmate.

Yes, support of good local independent business is a very desirable thing for community well-being. Many people now prioritise this when choosing how to spend their money. It isn't silly, it's a valid and responsible ethical stance.

When I was in the UK in 2010 I saw a documentary on Greencross vets - many vets in the UK had apparently become Greencross.

There were a number of alarming stories, one I remember is that of a man (not a well off person) whose dog had terminal cancer and the vet knew this but ran up a whole lot of bills on unecessary tests/treatment.

All in all it was pretty disturbing and I hoped that it wouldn't happen here.

That isn't limited to Greencross vets. I think we've probably all had that experience at some stage.

One of the vet practices in our area were bought out by Greencross, although I do not use them I do know that there has been a changeover of some of the staff in the approx 12 months Greencross have been there. Greencross appear to be buying out a lot of the smaller vet practices. At this rate they will eventually have the monopoly on this.

And having read a little of their shareholder literature, I'm also concerned about that smooch. They seem to be buying practices at quite a pace. A giant vet chain really doesn't appeal to me.

True enough Sheridan - I did say it wouldn't be fair to judge on that visit, I'd just be avoiding that particular vet if I go back there.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in the UK in 2010 I saw a documentary on Greencross vets - many vets in the UK had apparently become Greencross.

There were a number of alarming stories, one I remember is that of a man (not a well off person) whose dog had terminal cancer and the vet knew this but ran up a whole lot of bills on unecessary tests/treatment.

All in all it was pretty disturbing and I hoped that it wouldn't happen here.

Can't be the same company. Greencross Vets only has Australian vets. It was started in Townsville and the head office is based in Brisbane. There may be a vet in the UK with the same name, but it's definitely not the same company.