How Do You Amuse Your Dog When You Are Sick?

Staffyluv

Zig has always had at least a 45 minute to an hour or so walk a day with a few small training sessions through the day..

I have woken up this morning feeling like someone has hit me with a brick.

I am sore all over, headache, backache etc (this isn't about me having a sook at all :o )

He doesn't understand that I am not well and is walking around sooking, then lays over my feet having a sook..

What do you do with your dogs when you are not well enough to get up and work them?

If I can manage it I go down to the local butcher and get Sam a big cow leg bone (left completely uncut) and he will work on that all day until he gets to the marrow.

Quite often I can't drive when I'm sick but I can normally get someone to pick one up for me.

If I can manage it he will get a game of fetch in the back yard too.

If I can manage it I go down to the local butcher and get Sam a big cow leg bone (left completely uncut) and he will work on that all day until he gets to the marrow.

Quite often I can't drive when I'm sick but I can normally get someone to pick one up for me.

If I can manage it he will get a game of fetch in the back yard too.

I just remembered that I had a half a marrow bone in the freezer - he is now happily chewing on that..

I just had an operation for my wisdom teeth and am currently laying on lounge. All 4 of my bullies have cow hooves stuffed with frozen mince and have been silently licking and chewing for an hour or so now. Got some other frozen bits for entertainment for next few days and once I get some more energy today I will drag a chair out in backyard and 'play' ball...this involves me sitting and them chasing jolly ball and bringing back to me :). Hope you feel better soon .

1. always have a frozen stockpile of marrow bones also some smacko chunk and chews in cupboard.

2. have long hallway so sit on lounge and roll balls and toys down for around 10 mins after which I produce the 'prize' bone and dogs happy to take away to knaw on.

3. sit outside have huge backyard and use ball thrower or frisbee if feeling up to it just throw and they retrieve for 5 mins or so then they will come inside and go to bed with me.

Last resort has been play showday into trolley with pen surround and they just settle and wait for next thing on agenda giving me some time out

If I run the bath tap they both disappear thinking they will get bathed :laugh:

Our dogs are very ggod, thank god, as I can't walk them without my husband due to a back injury. They are quite happy to lie around and sleep. I give them lamb shanks which they chew for 3-4 hours and open the front door so they can see the people walking past. They might play together every now and again which also helps.

Treasure hunts are good too - hide the food and then let them go.

He won't hunt for food - he will for toys but not food..

I am not game to get up and walk around at the moment.

I wish he was a curl up and snuggle dog (Ollie dog was) - Zig is more of an out and about man.. A real social butterfly.

Edited by Staffyluv

I started coming down with a lergy last night - rare for me. Feel like total shite but I'm trying to sweat it out. I've spent all day cleaning the garage and house and leaving a trail of tissues behind me! No head spins or I'd be in bed too cuddled up with my sloth dog.

Hope we both feel better soon!

Treasure hunts are good too - hide the food and then let them go.

He won't hunt for food - he will for toys but not food..

I am not game to get up and walk around at the moment.

I wish he was a curl up and snuggle dog (Ollie dog was) - Zig is more of an out and about man.. A real social butterfly.

Ah ok. I was going to suggest cuddle time on the couch too but sounds like that's not an option either!

I was sick for around a month half a year ago so I know how difficult it can be! Helpful neighbours are a Godsend, and my dog was surprisingly well behaved during that time, otherthan that though...kong toys (stuffed with peanut butter), cardboard for him to shred (toilet rolls or...a big box?)...ice cubes for him to chew on?