Scaling Dogs Teeth

My dog has a bit of tartar build up on his teeth. I was wondering what are ways I can get it off myself before taking it to the vet. Is it worth investing in a scaler to do this. I remember my breeder showing me the scaling process when i first visted him a few years ago, seems quite straightforward. What should I have on hand if the gum bleeds and do I need to polish it off after the scaling process?

what about those dental gel and so on?

Maybe you can use it? I heard the Petzlife Dental Gel is good?

Ive been using the spray version , its working a bit, but then im not applying it as much as i should be, as the stuff was very exxy and we have 2 dogs to use it on.. we use it in conjunction with brushing their teeth with dental toothpaste ..

theres been quite a few dental plague threads in this section, if you do a search you should be able to find them :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

if it is just a bit on the canines, you can often scratch it off with a finger nail.

you can also buy a safety scaler where the hook part bends back so you don't stab the gum.

it shouldn't bleed,maybe the odd drop if you are getting off a bigger chunk of calculus, but not enough to worry about.

if the teeth have got bad or the gum is starting to receed, get the vet to do a dental first and then keep on top of it.

Thanks. Its not bad, the vet saw it and didn't even think twice about leaving it and seeing whether it will fall off with some bones. I'm just not sure whether I need to apply something on the treated area before and after the scaling.

Clyde where did you get your scaler from?

Thanks. Its not bad, the vet saw it and didn't even think twice about leaving it and seeing whether it will fall off with some bones. I'm just not sure whether I need to apply something on the treated area before and after the scaling.

I cant remember where I got mine, have had it for about 20yrs. Ive done a quick search though and Sway sells them here: http://www.whelpingsupplies.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=88 (only $8, free postage!)

I don't put anything on before or after.

Dont make it stressful for the dog, just scale a couple of teeth a night until they get used to it. If you have cats it is fab for them too.

I cant remember where I got mine, have had it for about 20yrs. Ive done a quick search though and Sway sells them here: http://www.whelpingsupplies.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=88 (only $8, free postage!)

I don't put anything on before or after.

Dont make it stressful for the dog, just scale a couple of teeth a night until they get used to it. If you have cats it is fab for them too.

Thanks for the link Clyde I just ordered one :thumbsup:

Lots of meaty bones that take more than 10 minutes to eat :)

That doesn't always work. Mine get meaty bones, Stan's are fine Maddie's are terrible and require a full dental once a year.

Doesn't help she only eats on one side :(

:confused: sorry what books?

The books that say chewing/gnawing bones keep dogs' teeth sparkling :p

Clearly she hasn't and I'd love her to learn to brush her own teeth, that chicken flavoured toothpaste makes ME want to gag :laugh:

:confused: sorry what books?

The books that say chewing/gnawing bones keep dogs' teeth sparkling :p

Clearly she hasn't and I'd love her to learn to brush her own teeth, that chicken flavoured toothpaste makes ME want to gag :laugh:

Yes! it is completely revolting! I wish I had never bought it

Thanks beck.

Yeah I give mine bones but as well but hasn't come off.

What do I apply on the gums if I accidently nick it? and do i need to apply anything after the scaling to protect the enamel?