Chronic Eating

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be trying a whole lot of training and mental stimulation as well......intelligent, high energy dogs but not always the easiest to motivate. Bloody good fun when you work them out :)

I was thinking his interest in smell might mean he would enjoy some field work, you do tracking with your spinger? does Ziggy do it as well

My tibbie Annie loves to eat. I have to be so careful with her diet, otherwise she'd turn into a round golden ball & roll everywhere.

She does amazing 'drive by' thefts if I let her anywhere near where the cat is eating. She can flash by like lightning & somehow manage to grab a mouthful of food as she passes. The puss hardly knows it's gone. Just feels a breeze. :)

Only good thing is that she doesn't eat non-food items, like rocks.

A muzzle would prevent and manage consumption of items unsuitable for ingestion. For some dogs this is the only way to prevent this behaviour as it has become learnt. Some dogs will increase their predilection for this behaviour under stress. Can your dog have antlers or bully sticks as a chewing resource or can you use Kongs to deliver the food. These may keep him busy for a while to reduce the behaviour.

A muzzle would prevent and manage consumption of items unsuitable for ingestion.

Yes, this may be the only way, to keep a muzzle on when he is unsupervised. I'd still recommend plenty of chew items, but to stock him eating the lawnfood etc, a muzzle might be the only way.

A muzzle would prevent and manage consumption of items unsuitable for ingestion.

Yes, this may be the only way, to keep a muzzle on when he is unsupervised. I'd still recommend plenty of chew items, but to stock him eating the lawnfood etc, a muzzle might be the only way.

Or keep it out of his reach. He's only eating it because you let him have access to it.

Or keep it out of his reach. He's only eating it because you let him have access to it.

Its not that we "let him", things are put up high on shelving and he knocks the whole shelf over, the lawn food was under the house and the gate was left open becuase someone was mowing out front (all the lawn mower and what not are kept there) he dragged it out in a space of 5 minutes and just ate half of it...

Leaving a muzzled dog unsupervised is incredibly dangerous and stupid.

I tend to agree its dangerous, especially when you have 2 dogs and one of them is Gus lol, so I dont think I would muzzle him, but crating could work... after reading everyones posts mental stimulation would be our friend here. Having actual food around is out of the question unless both dogs are seperated.

IF this behaviour is 'compulsive' and the dog is crated, my big worry is it may then translate into something else, maybe excess chewing of feet or an increase in stress because there is no release/stimulation.

Just my thoughts

He has been crated before for an extensive period of time and showed none of these sings, if anything he calms down quite quickly. I will be moving houses soon hopefully I can get a clearner understanding of it all once we have moved.

I just wanted a general idea if it was "normal"

Its not that we "let him", things are put up high on shelving and he knocks the whole shelf over, the lawn food was under the house and the gate was left open becuase someone was mowing out front (all the lawn mower and what not are kept there) he dragged it out in a space of 5 minutes and just ate half of it...

Sorry, I didn't mean it to be rude, but in a way it's true. You're the one with the logical brain, he's the dog who has a one track mind and will do whatever he can to eat everything, so you need to take control and do whatever you can to stop him. If he can knock shelves over, maybe you need to close the door to that room. If a gate is open while lawn mowing is being done, maybe he needs to be locked inside for a while, etc

I know one of my pugs will eat the cardboard boxes in our storage room if he gets in there, so the door to that room stays closed. The other pug will eat my shoes, even if I put them on top of a table she will climb up onto the table to get them, and she can open my wardrobe, so we have baby gates blocking off rooms. For a larger dog who can probably just bounce over baby gates that solution probably isn't as simple, but conceptually - it might be.

Sorry, I didn't mean it to be rude, but in a way it's true. You're the one with the logical brain, he's the dog who has a one track mind and will do whatever he can to eat everything, so you need to take control and do whatever you can to stop him. If he can knock shelves over, maybe you need to close the door to that room. If a gate is open while lawn mowing is being done, maybe he needs to be locked inside for a while, etc

I know one of my pugs will eat the cardboard boxes in our storage room if he gets in there, so the door to that room stays closed. The other pug will eat my shoes, even if I put them on top of a table she will climb up onto the table to get them, and she can open my wardrobe, so we have baby gates blocking off rooms. For a larger dog who can probably just bounce over baby gates that solution probably isn't as simple, but conceptually - it might be.

I think one can only control so much, we are very cautious of what is left around but accidents happen and my question was more so about the behaviour if it is typical for a dog to be eating uneditable things, he isnt chewing these things and playing with them he is eating them.

I do understand your point, but I think this is a little beyond that. :)

I tend to agree its dangerous, especially when you have 2 dogs and one of them is Gus lol, so I dont think I would muzzle him, but crating could work... after reading everyones posts mental stimulation would be our friend here. Having actual food around is out of the question unless both dogs are seperated.

There are different types of muzzle. You would need a basket style, one that allows panting and drinking. But yes, not recommended for extended periods.

When the dog is home alone, distractions such as tots and chews may help, but ultimately separating him from potentially harmful “edibles” is the only option.

A thyroid problem could have him ravenously hungry....just a thought. Hope you can get this sorted out it must be so stressful for you having the worry all the time.

It is more upsetting than anything, he cant be happy constantly searching for things new environment, new sports and less chaos hopefully will aid the problem.