Patterdale Terrier

Hemihazard

Looking for patterdale terrier pups or breeders on the east coast of Australia. Will travel to get a pup. Doesn't have to be pure breed, I previously owned one and I got it from Victoria. But I don't have the details anymore. Any info would be appreciated, cheers Ricky.

Is it an ANKC recognised breed? I haven't heard of it.

Off to google I go!

No, not recognised. Probably pretty rare here, if here at all.

A pretty hard dog for the unitiated I gather.

They look like a lot of Staffy crosses to me :shrug:

there's a lady in my town with one and she was very surprised when I knew what it was. I dont see her very often though and I dont know her name, so I cant tell you where she got it from but I think it's a Victorian breeder. It's a jet black rough or wire haired dog, very cute.

The ones I've seen don't look at all like Staffy mixes??? :confused: A Fauve breeder from the UK that I talk to has one that was rescued. She said that a large number of them are not suited for regular homelife. Will see if I can find a photo of hers (actually her husband's, who is a vet).

I met one in the UK that looked exactly like the black one above. Very prey driven. Unfortunately there seems to be a vogue in the UK for people to buy working everything as a pet, cockers, springers, patterdales and lurchers are all ending up in homes ill equipped to deal with them. :(

Thinking you might find a patterdale type dog in hunting circles here?

I had a friend who had one in the UK, very tough little terrier indeed. :)

I didn't realise they were not recognized here.

They shouldn't look anything like a staffy, they are a square looking scruffy terrier.

Victoria from memory but that was aaaaages ago so who knows if they are still around.

For some bizarre reason one showed up in Canterbury Pound a few yrs back. Black broken coat, docked too I think but long like a GSP, not short like a silky :o .

Even chipped dogs can be wrongly identified but I've never seen another like it except on Patterdale/Fell breeders sites.

Edited by Powerlegs

Unfortunately there seems to be a vogue in the UK for people to buy working everything as a pet, cockers, springers, patterdales and lurchers are all ending up in homes ill equipped to deal with them. :(

That's a very sweeping statement - I myself had a 'working type' cocker in the UK and knew plenty of people with them in non-working pet homes who were very well equipped to deal with them.

With regards to the Patterdale, the ones I knew were owned by a guy who used them for rabbiting back home - tough little buggers :laugh: but they look nothing like a staffy cross.

Well that's what I am hearing from friends and family is the situation now. Of course it's not everyone who can't cope but I didn't say everyone did I? Not a trend I approve of. Working line dogs require a dedicated owner I am sure you were but many aren't

My old patterdale was a little legend, always on the hunt for geckos, mice and rats. Would chase kangaroos and deer too! But he was very happy to curl up on the couch or inside with me and wasn't a worry in the world! He would go on the back of the ute, on the 4 wheeler and in the boat. Great all rounder and protective of his owner too! Thank you for the feed back, hopefully I will find another one soon!

I've got a friend who has one, a rough coated black, he's very cite. He gets on very well with her other dogs and fits right in with the pack. From what I can gather they are used a lot with fox hunting packs in the UK to go in after the fox when it goes to ground. I will ask my friend for a contact No for the breeder.

Pam

With regards to the Patterdale, the ones I knew were owned by a guy who used them for rabbiting back home - tough little buggers :laugh: but they look nothing like a staffy cross.

That's what the smooth coated Patterdales remind me of. :shrug:

Pics here

Edited by Haredown Whippets

When I was in Vic I remember seeing an advertisement in the local butchers for pups. They were all black as we're the parents and it turned out that they were the butchers dogs and he was advertising them for sale to hunting homes. He used them to hunt foxes and from pictures and what he said they are very good at it and love their job. Georgeous little dogs too :)

I've got a friend who has one, a rough coated black, he's very cite. He gets on very well with her other dogs and fits right in with the pack. From what I can gather they are used a lot with fox hunting packs in the UK to go in after the fox when it goes to ground. I will ask my friend for a contact No for the breeder.

Pam

I'll bet the one you know is related to the one I see at the park here sometimes.