Dogs V Humans

Pollywaffle

I watched a news article the other day where a woman declared her devotion to her rats – to the point where she had left her husband (I think). Anyway, she freely declared that she preferred animals to humans. Whilst I don’t totally agree with this sentiment, I will admit that my two have never intentionally hurt me...although I can’t say the same about some of the humans in my life. I just wondered, on a Friday arvo, where your animals sat in the pecking order and why?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a news article the other day where a woman declared her devotion to her rats – to the point where she had left her husband (I think). Anyway, she freely declared that she preferred animals to humans. Whilst I don't totally agree with this sentiment, I will admit that my two have never intentionally hurt me...although I can't say the same about some of the humans in my life. I just wondered, on a Friday arvo, where your animals sat in the pecking order and why?

Half way step to being a hoarder IMO. Tends to happen when the number of animals goes up and the other person in the relationship doesn't share the passion. Happens in the dog world too.

I don't think this argument really goes anywhere. I am entirely responsible for the health and welfare of any animal I own that cannot fend for itself. Therefore in terms of priorities, I see to the care and welfare of those animals over and above that of other people. However, I don't kid myself that dogs and people can hold the same place in my life.

Preferences one way or the other seem somewhat pointless - dogs are not people, people are not pets. :shrug:

I sometimes get the impression that the "I prefer animals to people" brigade think they they are kinder human beings because of it. I don't. Maybe they just need to meet kinder people.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I know a few people who only had one or two dogs and looked after them very well, one day their partner decides they don't want a dog for one reason or another (One was because it meant they couldn't go on holidays with a days notice).

Unless its a major issue like the dog became aggressive and attacked, If I was told "it's me or the dog" I know what I would pick.

I know a few people who only had one or two dogs and looked after them very well, one day their partner decides they don't want a dog for one reason or another (One was because it meant they couldn't go on holidays with a days notice).

Unless its a major issue like the dog became aggressive and attacked, If I was told "it's me or the dog" I know what I would pick.

Back in my horse owning days I knew a woman with a very promising dressage prospect who got the "it's me or the horse" ultimatim from her husband.

She sold the horse.

He left her anyway.

Beware the kinds of people who force those choices on you...

I watched a news article the other day where a woman declared her devotion to her rats – to the point where she had left her husband (I think). Anyway, she freely declared that she preferred animals to humans. Whilst I don't totally agree with this sentiment, I will admit that my two have never intentionally hurt me...although I can't say the same about some of the humans in my life. I just wondered, on a Friday arvo, where your animals sat in the pecking order and why?

Half way step to being a hoarder IMO. Tends to happen when the number of animals goes up and the other person in the relationship doesn't share the passion. Happens in the dog world too.

I don't think this argument really goes anywhere. I am entirely responsible for the health and welfare of any animal I own that cannot fend for itself. Therefore in terms of priorities, I see to the care and welfare of those animals over and above that of other people. However, I don't kid myself that dogs and people can hold the same place in my life.

Preferences one way or the other seem somewhat pointless - dogs are not people, people are not pets. :shrug:

I sometimes get the impression that the "I prefer animals to people" brigade think they they are kinder human beings because of it. I don't. Maybe they just need to meet kinder people.

I think that's the rub...I think I moved closer to animals because humans have disappointed me in the past...mind you, I always remember that forum item where people were asked who they would save first from a burning fire..and I guess it would still very much be my husband..

They are entirely different things and I don't see the need to compare. I'm single but I hope the love that I have for my dogs is a different type of love I'd have for a partner, which would be a different type of love I'd have for my kids.

I love my dogs and will always do what I can to ensure they have happy, fulfilled lives. However, if I had to chose between saving a random child that I didn't even know (or one I didn't like) and my dogs, I would always put the humans first. I don't believe that someone's worth is dictated by how much I personally love them.

Fergus would understand, no doubt. Lucy, not so much :) .

When someone puts their animal's needs so much higher than their own needs then I don't think they're doing themselves or their animals any favours.

ETA: I see my dogs as part of the family too, just not human members

Edited by megan_

My dogs and my partner are on equal footing. They're my family.

This.

Bless to have a husband who loves the dogs as much as I do and see the dogs as family too.

Same here and also blessed to have a husband who is totally devoted to all our pets.

I much prefer my pets company to humans these day, They never let me down!

We have elderly family that are of ill health atm, and might not be with us much longer, yet im already starting to grieve more over our elderly Cav, as shes not doing too good, and Im more anxious about her leaving us crying.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

My hubby, my family then my dogs then other ppl.

However if my hubby tried to make me get rid of my dogs he would be in real trouble. However we have a failed foster who is not rehomable, hubby doesnt like and he hasnt said i have to get rid of him so cant think that would ever happen

As our Jack Russell lost a battle with a brown snake yesterday, grief is saying "dogs first" We have never shed so many tears or felt so devastated in our lives. I guess it totally depends on circumstances.

Di

All our animals are part of our family and we try to accomodate them as much as possible. Dory comes nearly everywhere with me...however...over recent times that has changed and we've all had to put our Big Girl Pants on about it. :laugh:

Status can be a bit fluid around here, depending on the circumstances. Meaning we weigh up who needs what most urgently. If someone needs something urgently and another someone's need not so great...guess what?

I love my pets dearly. But the fact is they can't give me what human interaction can. sometimes I actually WANT someone's opinion. Not something I can get from a pet. Sometimes I want a verbal display of understanding, commiseration, celebration etc. Things a pet can not really give very effectively.

Dory could care less about me and my emotional well being, unless it means she might have to dip out of food, pats, walks and tummy rubs. :D

Yes. At least I know her intentions are very clear and honest...but her affection is also clearly a self interested one.