Entire Female With Milk

I always check Lilis chest area for lumps and just noticed she had some crusty dried up white stuff on a couple of her nipples.....one was a bit wet so I gently pushed it and a teeny tiny but of white liquid came out. None of the others were wet.

She is almost 5, still entire, we are tossing up whether to desex her, if we do it will be this year, but definitely not pregnant. She is in a secure yard and is kept inside if in season anyway. Her last season was probably about two months ago.

Is his just something that can happen with entire females? Could it be a false pregnancy? She is perfectly happy and healthy otherwise.

Thanks for any advice :)

:eek: :laugh: she doesn't look swollen no, but I have noticed she has been digging a lot lately, is that a sign?

Yes it is.

You can have her x-rayed after 45 days, but not before, because the bones would not have ossified and will not be detected.

You need to know because if she has pups then you will need to increase her feed.

If she is so far along then a palpitation and an ultrasound will tell you if you need to prepare her for a whelp.

Very observant, good job. :thumbsup:

Amber has had a couple of phantoms. One she had a fair bit of milk. Lots of digging. Lots of sooking. Then coat totally gone! She was more dramatic about it all then the bitch I had that actually had puppies :laugh:

One of my brother's bitches dug a huge hole and protected her 'pup' , a toy penguin, with great gusto for a week or so!! She 'weaned' pup early ..carrying it with her ..until one day she just didn't bother .She had a little mammary development ..but it disappeared quickly :)

My bitches all had phantoms, dug holes and were in milk 9-13 weeks after every season. Perfectly normal but a pain when you are trying to show them. They would be out of coat before a season then coat up, being in full coat from 6-17 weeks from ovulation, before dropping it all again but they put on weight and had milk for at least 4 of those weeks when they looked decent. This happened twice a year, every year when they didn't have a litter and they all only had one or two litters in a lifetime.

My bitches all had phantoms, dug holes and were in milk 9-13 weeks after every season. Perfectly normal but a pain when you are trying to show them. They would be out of coat before a season then coat up, being in full coat from 6-17 weeks from ovulation, before dropping it all again but they put on weight and had milk for at least 4 of those weeks when they looked decent. This happened twice a year, every year when they didn't have a litter and they all only had one or two litters in a lifetime.

Wow! I didn't realise how lucky I was - all I get is Em bouncing up and down, just about begging to go out training from the minute she comes in. It will be interesting to see what happens if I decide to breed her.

Technically, all entire bitches have phantom pregnancies if not mated because the progesterone level rises regardless of them being pregnant or not and drops at the time they are due to whelp. Some show a lot more signs than others but it evolved as a survival thing in wild dogs. In a dog pack only the alpha female mates and whelps. All the other bitches cycle with her and have milk available to raise the litter in case anything happens to the dam of the litter.

Just another point of interest.., whilst Em doesn't show any obvious phantom pregnancy signs she loses ALL concept of a recall a month before coming in. She is bred to quarter and hunt but is unstoppable during that time unless she is actively "working". ESS tend to work close to their handlers but not for that month - and yes, I did learn that the hard way. She also lost all confidence before her first season but just blossomed during and after (and maintained it). She doesn't lose confidence anymore but her working ability goes through the roof during and after each season.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I had a bitch who after her first season developed lovely boobs and had milk. Scared the heck out of me lol. Her breeder told me to swab the boobs with vinegar every time she was near me, took the boobs down and then each season I would start swabbing as soon as she came in and she never had another falsie.