Turn Offs For Dog Names.

RallyValley

Also, super long ones like say, Princess Lily Garnet til Alexandros and then the dog's called Pri. I don't 'hate' them, just not for me personally since it seems wasteful lol.

I like long names only for the fact that getting the vet receptionist to call it out in the waiting room is kind of hilarious :rofl: Also, having to talk to the council about animal registration is fun. I've been a bit lazy lately though and only gave them my cat's first name this time around :laugh: There's always next time...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs picked their own names or they'd all be something girly! I do like to give them extended/full names on paperwork though - probably for pay back. Like Temp is recorded as Tempeh Soya-Bean Dean (Dean being my surname) at the vets! One of my previous fosters is still commonly known by the extended name I gave him - Oscar de la Wrinkles, as opposed to just 'Oscar'.

The only put off for me is what I consider bogan names because I feel like they were chosen to get the owner attention rather than suit the dog. D-Fa would be one. Fark another. One of my previous FF's was called Bundy (as in rum) which I hated but never really changed because I mainly called him by nicknames anyway like Budda-Boo. Speaking of which, I've noticed Tempeh is now coming to her nickname Doodle Bug! I'm so proud! Now if I can only get her to wear that bumble bee hat for a photo....

4. Not what we named her, what adoptees changed name to - "Chumley" - really makes me think of off Chum or chum vomit for some reason - cutsey but in a very wrong way, again great home but really never liked this name at all

When I was growing up we had a cat called Cholmondeley* Majoribanks. This was because he was a very plain tabby cat so my father thought he should have a fancy name. He was Marshbanks for short.

So your adoptees may have been similarly nuts.

(oh so that's where she gets it from, thinks the DOLiverse...)

*Cholmondeley is pronounced "chumley"

Didn't someone here have a dog named Roadkill?

Sounds dreadful but considering that's what they thought he was when they stopped the car to check, it seemed rather appropriate. And heaven knows the dogs don't care.

thefarside.jpg

Edited by Haredown Whippets

A well known artist in Canberra had an Saluki called Genny years ago, short for - well, never mind.

I steer clear of anything that sounds like a command - so Joe is out because it sounds like "no".

I also steer clear of anything common or "famous" in my breed - so no Jamilas/Jamals because it's everywhere. Bit like Nikki or Vlad for Borzoi. And I would not call a Saluki Impulse, Vandal, Freyha, Banner, Jordan, Jack, Rafi etc because those names are already "taken" in terms of the achievements of those dogs in the breed. Lovely names, but it would be a be "upstart" thing to name my dog that and besides, I would not want one of mine being in the shadow of a famous name anyway.

I also steer clear of anything common or "famous" in my breed - so no Jamilas/Jamals because it's everywhere. Bit like Nikki or Vlad for Borzoi. And I would not call a Saluki Impulse, Vandal, Freyha, Banner, Jordan, Jack, Rafi etc because those names are already "taken" in terms of the achievements of those dogs in the breed. Lovely names, but it would be a be "upstart" thing to name my dog that and besides, I would not want one of mine being in the shadow of a famous name anyway.

This. Some names are 'wrong' in Whippets for this reason too.

Guest Clover

Common names are a big no no here (hence Harri spelt with an I :laugh: ). If I meet another Ruby or Molly I may scream.

I have Franklin picked out for my next dog, named after the footy player Buddy Franklin :o.

Guest Clover

A well known artist in Canberra had an Saluki called Genny years ago, short for - well, never mind.

I steer clear of anything that sounds like a command - so Joe is out because it sounds like "no".

That reminded me of all the Flyball people who give their working line dogs "fast" names and then the dogs turn out to be plodders who practically walk :rofl:.

That reminded me of all the Flyball people who give their working line dogs "fast" names and then the dogs turn out to be plodders who practically walk :rofl:.

Yep, just begging for trouble. Speaking of which I'd not give a dog a 'naughty' name.... asking for the dog to live up to it.

Both my current dogs had their names when I got them and I never changed them, and they are what I would call boring, cutesy, predictable ...all of what I dislike! Lucky the dogs are awesome characters

My next dog no matter what the breed I'm calling it Poofy Le Qua just because I can.

I used to know a dog named Ruff, not ruffy or ruffles, just Ruff, and his last name was Cox!

Yep, just begging for trouble. Speaking of which I'd not give a dog a 'naughty' name.... asking for the dog to live up to it.

Agree with this, I have a Mab, and she is exactly like her namesake, a mischievous stirrer of the worst kind.

Agree with this, I have a Mab, and she is exactly like her namesake, a mischievous stirrer of the worst kind.

My Artful Dodger IS a thief - that's bad enough stroke.gif

Our farm dog when I was in high school was named "The Goose"

I just named one of my red cattle foster pups "Felony"... named after a friend's dog who looked very similar... my Felony is so cute it's criminal... *grin*

The best names ever are given to the rescue dogs at Fetching Dogs... all very unusual but awesome names...

I named a champagne coloured rescue poodle pup Moet once... and no-one enquiring about her could pronounce it... somehow I don't think many of them had ever drunk it either... lol!

I have to come up with names for the following in the next few weeks...

5 Boxer cross pups - 4 girls and 1 boy

3 Bull Terrier pups - 2 girls and 1 boy

1 Rotti cross pup - boy

3 small breed cross pups - 2 boys and 1 girl

... and possibly 11 Bull Arab cross pups - don't know the sexes of those yet.

But already have named 2 ACD pups (Bonnie and Clyde), 3 Heeler pups (Felony, Charm, and Ned Kelly), 1 GSD cross pup (Gemma), 2 Shar Pei cross pups (Percy and Pluto), and 1 Kelpie/Whippet pup (Tarni)... all in the past week!

I'm going to aim for slightly quirky or unusual names for the currently nameless ones... but it ain't gonna be easy remembering who is who... aarrgghh!

T.

My Lab is named Trouble... and that was a self fulfilling prophecy... *grin*

T.

I so love the idea of having a male bullmastiff called Sheridan! But I can't because its the name of my OHs ex-girlfriend, who is still a friend of the family and it would just look bad :(

I do think its generally not the best idea to name your dog a name of someone you know. But other than that as long as you like it, that's the main thing :)

Hopefully no-one has called their dog Bottom - if you have, I apologise now at any offence that my comments may have caused ;)

I once had s cat named Bottom. I blame my mother. She should have known better than to let a two year old name anything.