Turn Offs For Dog Names.

RallyValley

As my newest import is Swedish I'm thinking of the registered names of his first litter being Abba songs... On the weekend I was listening to "Thank You for the Music" and have figured out that I could change a few things to work in with my prefix so that I could have that as a registered name. Then I could call the pup "La La".... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Stupid but amuses me.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Hobbes was originally called 'Sid' but it interfered with his training "Sid, sit". So I called him 'Hobbes' after the intelligent and calm stuffed tiger from Calvin and Hobbes. It seemed to suit him, in much the same way as I resemble Calvin in a lot of respects.

ricey

But the biggest turn-off in a dog's name was the name that Lizzie was given by the pound; 'Fanta'!!

Imagine naming a dog after an awful orange flavoured bottle of fizzy vomit that no child would admit to liking.

It was dog abuse by a dog pound. Only Graeme Smith has abused dogs more.

ricey

I like to have unusual names but the ex named his jack russell Rambo. Our next dog being a coolie he named Xena after the warrior princess so the next coolie was Gabrielle the side kick.Very unusual. Dont know what the next one is called. A friend had a dog called CK he wasnt allowed to say catkiller so it had to be CK lots of people werent impressed at :o lovely dog though wouldnt hurt a fly

I know this thread is for bad dog names but there are a few awesome names floating around my local dog park I'd love to give a kudos too:

Angus -- a one eyed black Standard Poodle

Allan -- black Miniature Poodle

Trigger -- Mastiff X

Roger -- Aussie Bulldog

My next male dog I'd love to call Ixnay, Quodlibet, Abercrombie, Mugwump or Gadzooks. I think I'm over using mythology for pet names and love some of these very random and uncommon words. Gadzooks just cracks me up :laugh:

Back on topic: I'm over hearing names like Tilly, Milly, Deefa, and even my own dog Zeus -- I'm wishing I'd come up with either Quodlibet or Gadzooks four years ago :o

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

But the biggest turn-off in a dog's name was the name that Lizzie was given by the pound; 'Fanta'!!

Imagine naming a dog after an awful orange flavoured bottle of fizzy vomit that no child would admit to liking.

It was dog abuse by a dog pound. Only Graeme Smith has abused dogs more.

ricey

Hi Ricey :wave:

My cat called Fanta said to say hi :p

I dont like human names, i have a Bella and have often wondered if i could change her name, she is 12 this year... so figured i might leave her be :laugh:

Sometimes my Trouble gets called Chubbalubbdubbatrubbabubba... and she loves it!

One time at a large and popular dog park Trouble had decided to wander off to play where I couldn't see her... so I'm walking up to people saying "I'm looking for Trouble..." - good thing most of the regulars knew what I was refering to... lol!

T.

Some names can be a nightmare if the dog is impounded (in terms of rehoming).

I met a beautiful large bull breed who was underweight and had some scars named Axe :eek: I got out my marker and stuck an l at the end, turned him into Axel :laugh: He found a great home.

We had a little slightly crossed eyed Foxie named Bundy. It didnt click until a volunteer said to me 'Bundy looks like he has had a few too many drinks'.

My beautiful Goldie was named Russell, it suited him to the ground.

My Bull Arab is named Fern, my Foxies name was Bilstein when I adopted him, he gets Billy most often. Bella is a common name though I decided on that for my Kelpie as her registered name is Nicola Belle.

My foster chose her own name, Peaches. I had a family here looking at another foster and their daughter was horrified that I had not yet given her a name :laugh: Peaches responded to the name so well, we kept it :)

Kirslin Puck is heaven on earth! love his ears in that last pic :)

ETA; I have a terrible habbit of nicknaming my dogs :o Fern gets "The Pern" Bella gets "black dog" "Bella Donna" Billy is :o "BB2IC' (Billy Burford 2nd in charge) and Peaches gets "Smeaches".

Edited by Nic.B

Some names can be a nightmare if the dog is impounded (in terms of rehoming).

I met a beautiful large bull breed who was underweight and had some scars named Axe :eek: I got out my marker and stuck an l at the end, turned him into Axel :laugh: He found a great home.

We had a little slightly crossed eyed Foxie named Bundy. It didnt click until a volunteer said to me 'Bundy looks like he has had a few too many drinks'.

My beautiful Goldie was named Russell, it suited him to the ground.

My Bull Arab is named Fern, my Foxies name was Bilstein when I adopted him, he gets Billy most often. Bella is a common name though I decided on that for my Kelpie as her registered name is Nicola Belle.

My foster chose her own name, Peaches. I had a family here looking at another foster and their daughter was horrified that I had not yet given her a name :laugh: Peaches responded to the name so well, we kept it :)

Kirslin Puck is heaven on earth! love his ears in that last pic :)

ETA; I have a terrible habbit of nicknaming my dogs :o Fern gets "The Pern" Bella gets "black dog" "Bella Donna" Billy is :o "BB2IC' (Billy Burford 2nd in charge) and Peaches gets "Smeaches".

thanks, I adore him. They're his silly ears, he usually wears them when he's up for a game or into some kind of mischief.

I dislike (well, not dislike, but find eye-rollingly boring) names that describe what the dog looks like. Fluffy for a white fluffy, Spot for a dally, Blacky for a black dog/cat, etc. Be original people!

However, I do like ironic names. I know a Boston terrier called Brooklyn, a dally called Stripe, a greyhound called Turtle :laugh:

Amber was named because she is amber coloured :rofl:

We had some terrible pet bantam names growing up, mum let my younger sister name them...

Grey Back, a pekin with a grey back

Snowy & snow white, white silkies

Sooty and blacky, black silkies

Brownie, a brown mix breed bantam :p

I dislike (well, not dislike, but find eye-rollingly boring) names that describe what the dog looks like. Fluffy for a white fluffy, Spot for a dally, Blacky for a black dog/cat, etc. Be original people!

However, I do like ironic names. I know a Boston terrier called Brooklyn, a dally called Stripe, a greyhound called Turtle :laugh:

Amber was named because she is amber coloured :rofl:

Well that's a bit more subtle at least :p

Oh, another common one that shits me: Jackie for a JRT :banghead:

Edited by minimax

We came by a stray, who when we found his owner, found out his name was Benson. A day or so later, said owner rang us and asked us if we wanted him, as she didn't. He is a great dog and we renamed him George, which suits him down to the ground.