Turn Offs For Dog Names.

RallyValley

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head.......

1. While it was for a kitten (sorry I hope cats count)..................."Sandwich" - yes.........seriously........for my own cat before I changed his name from a silly young woman before she dumped him at the pound.....he is now "Thor", God of Thunder - suits him well with his grey coat, bright yellow eyes and charming attitude!

2. "Dog" - a kelpie from memory taken into rescue some years ago.........at least it was given a better name (and life) after that

3. Family with a tradition of naming their dogs after cuts of cold meat - while I'm sure the animals didn't mind and great home for any of them - really can't say I was fond of it - one was Devon (that was okay), next was LC (a foster of mine) - not sure what it stood for but it was a cold meat type, there were a couple of really odd ones though - just can't remember them all........

4. Not what we named her, what adoptees changed name to - "Chumley" - really makes me think of off Chum or chum vomit for some reason - cutsey but in a very wrong way, again great home but really never liked this name at all

ETA personally not a fan of "the obvious" names e.g. dog, cat or whitey or denigrading names like..... fatso, doorstop etc or names that negatively reinforce stereotypes for certain types of breeds .......like cujo, killer, beast etc

Each to their own though.

Edited by Just Andrea

Based on what I know of Shakespeare's sense of humour, I'm willing to bet that Puck rhymes with Fire Truck was / is no co-incidence. It's a really old word.

I don't use my dog's name as her primary recall word. It's more to get her attention.

I know a dog and handler team - whose names match the name of a popular tv show - but the dog had the name before it got the home with the handler and she didn't change it.

I don't like it when dogs have popular human names. And it gets confusing. It's very weird now that there are a lot of children now with the names that used to be very popular dog names. And dogs get named after beer. Why not wine?

I don't like giving dogs people names because it was too awkward with my old dog being a Kerry at the same time 2 of my brothers were engaged to girls called Kerry! Thankfully I am yet to meet a human named Doofus

I met a dog at the dog park called precious too. That's out, it was like a scene from lord of the rings watching those owners yelling out for their precious all arvo :rofl:

Dislikes:

"Tough" names on dogs of "tough" breeds... nice work negatively stereotyping your dog. :(

Anything cliched for that breed... Whippets called Devo and Poodles called Fifi are a dime a dozen.

Other than that, if you can yell it at 80 decibels while running frantically, fill your boots. :thumbsup:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I think if you like the name then go for it. I like different names, but I try to stick to name that aren't too hard for other people too.

I always try to think of awesome names but somehow they usually end up with relatively boring ones.... Sigh, not to sure how that happens.

Cats are: Misty, Calliope (Callie/ beanie), Brutus and Angelo.

Dogs are: Rocky, Sadie, Tess and Reggie. After having Rocky and Reggie, I now think they are too similar and don't think i will name two pets names that are so similar.

I like dog names that make me laugh/smile. I don't really care what others think of them.

Exactly. Each to their own and if you like it, go for it regardless of what other people like. Chances are, you'll probably disagree with their own choices in return so who really cares laugh.gif

I personally like human girl names for girl dogs, it's not for everybody. For some reason though, I'm not the hugest fan of human boy names for dogs :shrug: Each to their own! But don't get me started on weird baby names!! laugh.gif

Anything cliched for that breed... Whippets called Devo and Poodles called Fifi are a dime a dozen.

OK I know I said in my post above each to their own, which still applies, but along the lines of your cliched dislikes, I'm a bit over people calling their chocolate labs chocolate related names. Milo, Cadbury, Rolo, Coco, Bournville, etc etc.

Also reminds me of an sms I got from the vet one morning which was not meant for us. It was to remind me of my appointment with "Honey". I thought to myself, I bet that's a Goldie. Anyway, at the vet the next day waiting for my turn, and out walks a woman with her Golden Retriever who she called "Honey". I was right laugh.gif I wonder if she got my sms instead when I obviously got hers laugh.gif

Edited by RubyStar

Based on what I know of Shakespeare's sense of humour, I'm willing to bet that Puck rhymes with Fire Truck was / is no co-incidence. It's a really old word.

lol. Quite the potty mouth, wasnt he. Atleast Puck was a bit better than Cuz.

Puck is still a cute name for a dog though

OK I know I said in my post above each to their own, which still applies, but along the lines of your cliched dislikes, I'm a bit over people calling their chocolate labs chocolate related names. Milo, Cadbury, Rolo, Coco, Bournville, etc etc.

Yes! I don't think I personally know a chocolate lab not named after chocolate! Although as a kid I wanted all three colours called, Choco, Liquorice and Honey Comb (Yea I thought I was cool laugh.gif).

I'm a big fan of Human names for dogs, and all animals really. Had a guinea pig called Cindy :)

Edited by LisaCC

I have a friend named Jenny adopt a young dog named Benny, she quickly changed the dogs name to something very different :)

I knew a Labrador that was named Buck, and at times in the field it was hard to tell if he was calling Buck or something else, especially when things weren't going right :laugh:

Know a man named Jack who had a dog named Jill :)

Dog names are personal decisions and I try not to let other people influence my choice. If you like it, then go for it :)

Oh, I named the pups without much thought in the litter I raised 10 years ago and was suprised at how many owners kept the names I gave them. They were then incorporated into their registered names. I will give more thought into pet names of pups next time!!

I hate D-fa and stuff like that.

Never understood why Deefa was such a popular name until someone explained it to me.

D for dog :banghead: Hate it too. Stupid.

Once considered calling my new stud boy Potty Bonkers as a pedigree name. It was the name of a small boutique I used to love & I thought it was quite apt for a stud dog, just what I wanted :laugh: but everyone else put me off it.

1. While it was for a kitten (sorry I hope cats count)..................."Sandwich" - yes.........seriously........for my own cat before I changed his name from a silly young woman before she dumped him at the pound.....

One of my old cats was named "Mr Twinkletoes", I renamed him Basil Fru Fru after adopting him from the shelter :laugh: Mostly an improvement, it definitely suited him better!

Worse dog name I have seen was a long time ago now. It's pedigree name was....

Cunning Stunt....I always had to think before I said it!!

:rofl:

"Tough" names on dogs of "tough" breeds... nice work negatively stereotyping your dog. :(

Same here, but my dog came with a tough dog name and I was too lazy to change it so most people are probably under the impression that he's actually called "Caesar-butIdidn'tnamehimthat" :laugh:

Mum calls him Scooby Doo, mostly it's shortened to Cees or Scumbag which is still less embarrassing to yell out.

I get a bit bored by generic pet names and am always looking for something a little different, in the past family pets have had themes so we had guinea pigs called Harpo, Chico and Groucho as well as 2 dogs named Basil and Sybil :D I also had fish with names from Monty Python and Red Dwarf (Tarquin Fin Tim Lim Tim Bus Stop Fatang Fatang Ole Biscuit Barrel and Ramses Niblick the Third Whoops Where's My Thribble). Naming pets has to be one of the funnest parts of owning them :laugh:

Yes that's right, I have a whippet called Puck. I love his name and it suits him, and no one teases him about it. :laugh: I do find it satisfying though when I have to tell him to Puck Off the furniture

Edited by Kirislin

Yes that's right, I have a whippet called Puck. I love his name and it suits him, and no one teases him about it. :laugh: I do find it satisfying though when I have to tell him to Puck Off the furniture

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: