Turn Offs For Dog Names.

RallyValley

I would never name a dog kaos or trouble and names like that as I feel animals grow into their names and I don't want to tempt fate lol.

And dogs named Lucky are never that lol

When I was a kid, neighbors had corgis. Lucky and Rusty. Tradesmen let them out and Lucky was run over :( Put me off the name for life.

My "Holly" arrived at Christmas. She's a happy go lucky character so the name suits her. I was going to call her something unusual like "Thistle" but Holly suited her. First obedience class we go to - there's a "Thistle" there.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I teach dog obedience classes, I get a little 'over' all the dogs called Max, Charlie, Poppy, Molly,etc. I loved the Goldie called David, and the Whippet called Gary though, so I wouldn't say I dislike human names, just the really common ones! My girl came to us called Shandy, and I didn't feel a need to change it, and I put a lot of thought into coming up with the name 'Zimri' for my pup. I wanted something different, something with a good abbreviation for a call name and something with positive meanings (it means 'celebrated in song' or 'praiseworthy' in Hebrew, and is a Pashtun tribal name meaning fierce tiger)

There are way too many of them around but my Diesel deserves his name. Anyone with a bit of mechanical knowledge agrees....he's laggy, his emissions are potentially toxic but he has plenty of low-down torque and can pull like a freight train.

Working at a vet clinic does make me quite opinionated on names. Ceefa cat and Deefa dog stopped being funny 45 years ago. Dogs named lucky are almost never lucky. People that name their dogs obscene words deserve to be bitten every day for being hideous bogans. And really-another chihuahua named killer? Wow.

As a kid I always wanted a female BC called Chloe and a female ACD called Codie. My first dog turned out to be a mix of both and a male- Cody was easier to masculanise :laugh:

Delta chose her name LOL I was really stuck on what to call her so I was sitting on the floor at Mum's place with her while Mum read out dog names off websites. When she got to Delta, this little puppy stopped playing and ran over to her. Later I was telling my sister the short-list of names I had come up with and when I got to Delta she once again stopped playing and ran over. So... Delta it was!

Charlie came to me with his name and I didn't know how to change it :laugh: Not necessarily a name I would have chosen as it is so popular, but as it was already on all his paperwork so I left it. I used to get a lot of jokes about having 2 "phonetic alphabet names". So I then named my cockatiels Tango and Whiskey :laugh: There are a few names I wouldn't mind from the NATO phonetic alphabet but I think 2 is enough at any time :D

Whip was named as I was involved in dog sports by that point and wanted my next dog to have something with 1 syllable that was quick and easy to say, while not being popular. I had been tossing up a few names then suddenly thought of Whip and my mind was made up. He wasn't even born at that point in time but luckily the name suited :)

My latest baby (2 weeks old) is a female BC called Shock. Once again I wanted something that was quick and easy to say on course but didn't want one the same as anyone else. I had the name Ryze picked out but it just didn't suit her.

I would love to own another pitty one day, pop him in a bogan style studded collar and name him fluffy :laugh:

I also have a real thing about only using names you can shorten....with pets and kids! So Doofus is Doof and Kodiak Bear is Kodi or Bear, our turtle Darwin gets called Dizzle cos it's all I could think of, but thankfully he is less intelligent than the average MKR contestant so he doesn't care.... :rofl: I've rejected a few kids names off the 'possibilities' list cos I can't work out how to shorten them nicely

We had an ACD named 'ballbag' on the books at my old work, never got to meet him though!

Also, super long ones like say, Princess Lily Garnet til Alexandros and then the dog's called Pri. I don't 'hate' them, just not for me personally since it seems wasteful lol.

I like long names only for the fact that getting the vet receptionist to call it out in the waiting room is kind of hilarious :rofl: Also, having to talk to the council about animal registration is fun. I've been a bit lazy lately though and only gave them my cat's first name this time around :laugh: There's always next time...

I can only imagine all the names a vet receptionist has to call out every day :D I'm pretty sure I read about someone naming their dog God.

There are way too many of them around but my Diesel deserves his name. Anyone with a bit of mechanical knowledge agrees....he's laggy, his emissions are potentially toxic but he has plenty of low-down torque and can pull like a freight train.

Working at a vet clinic does make me quite opinionated on names. Ceefa cat and Deefa dog stopped being funny 45 years ago. Dogs named lucky are almost never lucky. People that name their dogs obscene words deserve to be bitten every day for being hideous bogans. And really-another chihuahua named killer? Wow.

DOL really needs a like button. :thumbsup:

Because I teach dog obedience classes, I get a little 'over' all the dogs called Max, Charlie, Poppy, Molly,etc. I loved the Goldie called David, and the Whippet called Gary though, so I wouldn't say I dislike human names, just the really common ones! My girl came to us called Shandy, and I didn't feel a need to change it, and I put a lot of thought into coming up with the name 'Zimri' for my pup. I wanted something different, something with a good abbreviation for a call name and something with positive meanings (it means 'celebrated in song' or 'praiseworthy' in Hebrew, and is a Pashtun tribal name meaning fierce tiger)

Dammit!! CC I thought of naming the foster I have here David and the other two people helping me name him laughed so hard I gave that idea away!!

You just wait! I'll name my next foster 'David'!!! I think its a cracker name for a dog - just like my cat called "Mark'! rofl1.gif

I named a rescue foster Border Collie pup Timmy, after the dog from the Famous Five... he was an awesome dog!

MUP has the best name for her dog... Maybe... ripper name!

T.

T, I loved Timmy and loved those books!! Famous Five were soooo much better than the Secret Seven! laugh.gifthumbsup1.gif

I dislike (well, not dislike, but find eye-rollingly boring) names that describe what the dog looks like. Fluffy for a white fluffy, Spot for a dally, Blacky for a black dog/cat, etc. Be original people!

However, I do like ironic names. I know a Boston terrier called Brooklyn, a dally called Stripe, a greyhound called Turtle :laugh:

Didn't someone here have a dog named Roadkill?

Sounds dreadful but considering that's what they thought he was when they stopped the car to check, it seemed rather appropriate. And heaven knows the dogs don't care.

That would be me.

Guest Clover

That reminded me of all the Flyball people who give their working line dogs "fast" names and then the dogs turn out to be plodders who practically walk :rofl:.

Yep, just begging for trouble. Speaking of which I'd not give a dog a 'naughty' name.... asking for the dog to live up to it.

It makes me laugh watching the dogs plod and the owners frantically calling out their speedy names :laugh:. I have known one trouble and the dog was serious trouble unfortunately.

Guest Clover

We have a Greg in our Thursday night tricks class :laugh:. It suits him perfectly. There is a Trevor that does Flyball down here as well.

I like Lionel, oh what about Cyril?

Edited by Clover

One of the oddest names I've heard is a rescue italian greyhound named Bella that was renamed Joyce by her owner.. Joyce???? Weirdest name for an IG in my opinion.

I generally name my dogs with names that aren't too common, though I did name one dog Diva because it suited her to a T even tho it's a common name.

Names I don't really like are the mega common ones like Roxy, Bella, Max, Rocky, Toby, Lucy and so on, I'd never name my dog any of those names.

I also like to kind of make themes with my dogs names, for example 3 of them have goddess names - Nyx, Luna and Venus. Also have a Fluke and a Karma cos they seemed like they went together. My most recent Male IG is named Dali after the artist so will prolly name my next male IG after another famous artist as well - not sure why it's just something i like the theme thing heh.