Guidedog Pts...

griff

We all obviously view this with very differing Points of View , and , if Toffee has left a legacy , it is one of people now being made more aware of their pets, of plans for the future, and of what they may do to make transitions the best they can for everyone.

Hopefully now, more folks will put thought into what their dog/cat/ pet will have to cope with should they fall ill ..and where that pet will finally end up.

Yes Pers, That was what I was trying to say though I am not good at it.

There are tears my end. I probably should not have looked xx.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

In response to 'why was it cruel'.

When was the last time you were practicing in a vet surgery persephone to see it happen?

We all obviously view this with very differing Points of View , and , if Toffee has left a legacy , it is one of people now being made more aware of their pets, of plans for the future, and of what they may do to make transitions the best they can for everyone.

Hopefully now, more folks will put thought into what their dog/cat/ pet will have to cope with should they fall ill ..and where that pet will finally end up.

But the point is Toffee wasn't a pet, she was a trained guide dog, doing a job and you of all people should know the value of a guide dog and their importance to the community. She should have been returned to the organisation that trained and provided her so she could either be reassigned, retrained or rehomed into a pet home, not just PTS at the whim of her selfish owner and family :mad

Guest donatella

You seem to make statements based on what you've seen 'many many years go'. Doesn't always apply to modern day. You may be out of touch. Just sayin.

She should have been returned to the organisation that trained and provided her so she could either be reassigned, retrained or rehomed into a pet home,

and if she had lived in Australia, she probably would have been ! This wasn't in Australia though , and it was mentioned on here that she was trained by the owner ...

You may be out of touch. Just sayin.

maybe .... I do believe a lethal injection is a lethal injection ...and the way dogs react to pain/anxiety etc hasn't changed .

What has changed is the relationship some owners have with their animals, and these days , there is much more compassion and help for owners and dogs when the time comes , and I think it's wonderful :)

Your argument totally lacks logic and judgement.

We are not discussing other people and other dogs. We are discussing the fact (one many posters are totally missing or deliberately avoiding simply so they can bang their own discordant drums) that a guide dog, healthy, happy, highly trained, in the prime of life was killed because of the arrogance, self centred and self rigtheous attitude of a poorly advised woman and her family.

You're the one banging your discordant drum. You've made a judgement about a dead woman and her family based on a Daily Mail Online article. Wow. The woman is DEAD. She made a decision based on the dog she knew. You didnt know the dog but you take it upon yourself to call her an arrogant, self centred and self righteous person. You dont know her either!

This matter should never have made the tabloids. Funerals are private matters and the fact this has ended up with death threats to the son at this time as well as a Vet assistant is just disgraceful!

There are tears my end. I probably should not have looked xx.

But , you did , and now you can discuss it , and everyone can maybe learn new things , about ourselves, and about how humans see their dogs ...

:hug:

:hug:

Guest donatella

I don't think the final moments are ever nice and I think the dog is anxious in those final moments and whilst it is peaceful there is no justification (in my eyes) to why it should be used on a life far too young. I think it is fabulous for older dogs and those in pain as it is relief, for a young dog who is fit and healthy it is cruel to put them through those final moments unnecessarily just because someone has selfish wants for that dog to die with them.

DT, I hear you! step back Hun and read through. Pers is probably the most compasionate and loving memeber of this entire forum.

It doesn't mean that her statements should go undiscussed or unchallenged. It doesn't matter whether a person is compassionate or not, this is an open forum and as such views can be agreed with, disagreed with, discussed and challenged.

Frankly, I don't believe your story belongs here, because your situation was as far removed for Toffee's as it was possible to be. :)

I must say I find some people's responses in this thread odd - some of the same people who attacked others in a different thread when it was suggested that the particular dog in question - who is suffering - be PTS. Yet in this case - a young healthy dog who would appear to be very suitable for rehoming - it is OK?

Very confusing :confused:

DT, I hear you! step back Hun and read through. Pers is probably the most compasionate and loving memeber of this entire forum.

It doesn't mean that her statements should go undiscussed or unchallenged. It doesn't matter whether a person is compassionate or not, this is an open forum and as such views can be agreed with, disagreed with, discussed and challenged.

Frankly, I don't believe your story belongs here, because your situation was as far removed for Toffee's as it was possible to be. :)

DD go for your life as you appear to be running this thread. Sorry for even speaking about death and dogs.

I remember two young and healthy rotties were pts when their owner died in an accident. Rescue tried to work with the family but they decide the dogs wouldn't be able to live without him. I assume they weren't in a position (as people familiar to the dogs) to take them on either. Very sad train of thought.

I'm sure a guide dog would grieve for not having a purpose as much as not having an owner they had bonded so closely with. I wonder if the owner had made that decision thinking the dog would be old by the time she left this earth? Or perhaps she didn't want to be in the afterlife without her companion? You have to think the dog could've served some purpose with someone else and learnt new behaviours. Or at least been given the opportunity to try.

Even if my dogs were really old I wouldn't expect them to be pts just because I was gone. We are separate entities and I don't consider them my property (even though legally they are). I have arrangements in place for their care if I have an accident now and it is something I will continue to revisit as myself and the dogs age.

a peaceful happy ending.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere ? vet visits are always a bit stressful . As for not having an owner present ... I have seen so many owners choose to NOT be with their pet for that last injection ...so that's not unique to this case .

(having a grieving owner present will often result in an anxious/fidgety animal , unfortunately )

I was with Kenny while he got the green dream, as heart broken as I was, I cuddled him & kissed him, his tail was wagging the whole time. RIP my beautiful boy. :cry:

She should have been returned to the organisation that trained and provided her so she could either be reassigned, retrained or rehomed into a pet home,

and if she had lived in Australia, she probably would have been ! This wasn't in Australia though , and it was mentioned on here that she was trained by the owner ...

Where is the link/article that says this as I went back thru the thread and couldn't find it - a poster mentioned this but didn't back it up with a link to the corresponding article. :confused:

Your argument totally lacks logic and judgement.

We are not discussing other people and other dogs. We are discussing the fact (one many posters are totally missing or deliberately avoiding simply so they can bang their own discordant drums) that a guide dog, healthy, happy, highly trained, in the prime of life was killed because of the arrogance, self centred and self rigtheous attitude of a poorly advised woman and her family.

You're the one banging your discordant drum. You've made a judgement about a dead woman and her family based on a Daily Mail Online article. Wow. The woman is DEAD. She made a decision based on the dog she knew. You didnt know the dog but you take it upon yourself to call her an arrogant, self centred and self righteous person. You dont know her either!

This matter should never have made the tabloids. Funerals are private matters and the fact this has ended up with death threats to the son at this time as well as a Vet assistant is just disgraceful!

Yes, that's what gets me. The increasing hysteria in this thread is based on a media article and as we know, these are always accurate. No one here knew the woman, her family or the dog. Whether or not the dog suffered or what was going through anyone's mind is simply speculation.