I Went Droving Today!

mixeduppup

I got asked by a friend yesterday if I could bring my dog and help him drove his 60 odd ewes and 3 alpacas 6ks back to their paddock. So I grabbed one of my dogs and headed off this morning. He said he was bringing two of his dogs but only one made it off the ute in the beginning to help yard and then it was me and my girl for the next 6ks. I really enjoyed it and it was a learning experience for Torque as she's always been in a team until today. She had a few arguments with the male alpaca but she soon got the best of him and he fell in line. I really enjoyed it and so did Torque.

043-1.jpg

049.jpg

052-1.jpg

Edited by mixeduppup

I was on ute and foot. I was really enjoying the walk and picking wild flowers. i also wanted to have easy access to the alpaca as he really had it in for her and wanted to be able to give her back up but I shouldn't have worried, she had it covered :laugh:

tlc, I could be wrong but there might be either a person up front, or signage saying Stock on Road, or something like that. Cars are supposed to slow down to let the stock pass or slowly creep through the mob so as not to frighten them, but I wonder if drivers of today still know that. I remember it alot as a kid, the long paddock.

Looks great MUP.

Drivers still remember :) Get a lot of cattle drovers on the Olympic hwy, Sometimes they haven't put out the signs but most people are sensible enough to give the stock distance.

Lovely photos, great job! This is probably a silly question but what do you do if a car comes the other way or are you on private property?

We have multiple signs posted "stock next 5km" normally people are pretty cluey as they live in the area and you can see for ages usually, so you just cast your dog to the left to push them all onto the verge and by the time the car arrives the sheep are off the road the car drives slowly past. :)